2008 Buick Enclave CX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Buick Enclave - Consumer Reviews

2008 Enclave Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Sort Reviews by

Do not buy a 2008-2009 Enclave
By mgaston

2008 Buick Enclave CX 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Look at Consumer Reports for its ratings on quality as well but you will have nothing but expensive repairs for the early model years. GM knows this but fails to support their customer base. They wanted new customers and got them but we are now leavaing. In later model years it looks ike they have fixed some of the problems but I would not feel comfortable after this kind of hell. I have had (2) transmissions (I paid for one $3200), rack n pion steering ~$1600, power steering pump ~$1200, shocks and struts at 75K miles (too early)- ~$1K, several steering related componens~$500 all within six months ($7.5K). The vehicle is only worth $18K. Be very cautious.

Favorite Features

Looks fantastic, rides nice and quiet, seats 7 for families.

Suggested Improvements

Quality.

Never Buy GM Again
By mgarner1234

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this 2008 Enclave less than a month ago. Brought it in for a slight humming noise at low speed. After "evaluation" they wanted over $2000.00 to "fix" everything. Owned a Toyota that had over 216000 miles and never had to put $2000 in to "fix" it. The Buick has less than 60000 miles. Called and spoke to the service manager at McKinney Buick as they wanted 50% more than a standard repair shop and they will not budge on their over priced repairs. Then they wanted us to pay for a loaner car for the week it took them to diagnose the problems. Any other shop could diagnose and fix in 1-2 days. I have always owned Toyota's and know I remember why. If you value $$$ stay away from GM/Buick.

Favorite Features

3rd Row

Suggested Improvements

Quality and design are lacking when it comes to any Japanese designed car.

$ 48,000.00 Mistake
By jasongr

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2008 Buick Enclave in late 2007. It was My wife's dream vehicle until the problems began i.e. Sunroof leaking,trans slipping,rattlle in rear drivers side,liftgate opens on it's own,service airbags light on twice, traction contol light on twice, reduced power on the highway three times,steering wheel rubbing noise,service stability light on,left front stabilizer is loose,air conditioning has been serviced twice for leaking and noise,front shocks replaced,brake rubbing noise,power steering pump leaking,front timing cover gasket leaking,right rear door weather stripping coming loose,noise while driving 50-60 mph on highway.washer heater causes fires, Don't buy this vehicle!

Favorite Features

Drive's like a caddy. Comfortable, large enough for the whole family, Good gas mileage, when it is not in the shop for repair's or sitting in our driveway with a bad transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Do Not buy a first year production model vehicle from Buick, Ever!

Don't Walk Away... RUN
By dblanchf

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle brand new in 2008. Thank God it came with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty because we used it. Tires wore quickly even with Michellins and averaged about $1300.00 to replace. Brakes and rotors needed to be replaced and that was just under $1000. I thought that was outrageous until I've heard of people paying more than that for brakes! To top it all off, transmission failed on the freeway at 73,000 going up north with NO warning. Luckily it was covered by warranty, but even the technician said to get rid of it as soon as the warranty expires. I am a believer in the saying "you get what you pay for." Not with this car. Save yourself the hassle, stress, and money.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, cargo space, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue it and start over...

2008 enclave worth a sac of potatos
By 100334665

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My husband bought this car for far more than it is worth, the sunroof leaks water directly into the fuse box which corrodes the relays causing the gages and all the electrical system to shut down. On a 200 mile trip smoke was coming out from the interior and smelled like burnt wires. Took it to the dealership several times only to have them say it is not covered by the warranty or that they cant find a problem. Now at 74000+ miles the transmission has given out. Thank God for the extended warranty. Service engine light comes on and off as it pleases. Had it serviced and the Service Stabilitrak and the Traction Control lights came on. Not worth the money being spent. Save yourself the stress

Favorite Features

This vehicle is visually appealing very nicely designed but not worth the money and stress. Vehicle doesn't drive on looks and the engine,wiring and the transmission were all poorly engineered.

More power steering woes
By tychain

2008 Buick Enclave CX 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Our very first American made vehicle. My wife's dream SUV. 73,000 miles she calls me in tears because she is in a parking lot and can't turn the steering wheel and cars are beeping at her and she has a 2 and 4 year old in the car and pregnant with out 3rd child. (the whole reason for getting this vehicle) We have owned it for 8 days... I drive to the store where she is and I can barely turn the wheel! I check the power steering fluid... its fine. Well, to make a long story short. I checked on the internet and found all the other stories about power steering problems and now, $2200 later we have out car back. THIS NEEDS A RECALL!!!

Liked The Enclave Until Transmission Failed
By meycro

2008 Buick Enclave CX 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My 2008 Enclave recently required a new transmission. This after only 70,000 miles and several other expensive repairs. Until recently when people would ask me how I liked it I responded, 'I like the way it drives but it's expensive to keep running. Now that the transmission failed, costing over $5,000 installed, I tell everyone this will be that last GM vehicle I will own. I will probably go back to a foreign made brand. It's a shame.

Steering noise
By txhawgfan50

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am losing confidence in my 08 Enclave after 2 fairly expensive and out of warranty repairs. Aug 2013- I notice an intermittent whining noise while driving. Take care in and tell mechanic I think brake pad wear indicators are responsible and viola-I need front and rear brake replacement at a cost of $900. Well, I think, at least the whine ill be gone. But no! The whine returns and is more frequent. Then I notice a clear, oily leak towards left rear of car. Take car in and viola- I need rack and pinion replacement on a car with 83,000 miles. This repair comes in at $1100 and not under warranty. This steering issue seems to be a theme with the 08 Enclave. Will never buy GM again!

Run away from this car!
By nanax4

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought used as a GM Certified with very low miles and a clean service history, but have since been in the shop for steering issue, Nav failure., air conditioning stopped working in back, electrical issues, and complaints about the transmission. Now it's sitting in the shop needing a new transmission with no warranty coverage. It only has 73K miles and has been well maintained...I just dont understand how GM can ignore the transmission issues. Just google it and see complaint after complaint about wave plate failure. I plan on giving GM the chance to make it right, but will take additional action if necessary!

Favorite Features

Interior comfort

Suggested Improvements

Stand by your product! No way it has ever gotten the stated gas mileage which is one of the major reasons I purchased it instead of a full size model. It has blind spots, and needs more power...

Buick Enclave Lemon
By bird30

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2008 Buick Enclave loaded in 2008 as I wanted a Luxury SUV and wanted to support the American Car Maker's in time of crisis. I made a huge mistake! My car has had every seal replaced since I purchased it and barely has 60,000 miles on it. The car has been serviced and taken care of since I purchased and babied since 2008. The engine seals went out at 30,000 miles, numerous times the airconditioning system has been fixed over and over for problems (4+ times), steering gear/drive problems, water pump seals, rear tail gate piston's replaced, etc., etc. etc. The care is beautiful and comfortable but the biggest lemon and disappointment I have ever purchased.

Suggested Improvements

Buick will need to stand behind their product and fix the thousands of complaints about these vehicles if they want returning customers. I am in Nursing school right now and the car is paid off, but it will be the first thing I get rid of when I graduate if it does not break me first! So disappointed in this car for as beautiful and comfortable as it is! Beware!