Don't buy one!
By hedgeman1 on
2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)
Every time I breathe this car breaks down. First manifold gaskets, then wheel speed sensor, then speed sensor harness, then a/c goes out then other wheel speed harness, then I have dash lights coming on like a Christmas tree on the dash! Check engine light, service engine light, abs light, traction control light! Digital odometer quit working, gear indicator no longer visible! Its one thing after another! Never ever will buy another one of these! If spent more in repairs in last 3 years then I spent for car!
Favorite Features
NONE
Suggested Improvements
Everything!
By amluvaffair
on 06/07/11 21:31 PM (PDT)

I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 pickup truck that also did the Christmas tree light thing on the dash. Every warning light came on at the same time and it made a funny clicking noise like relays or solenoids going berzerk. The odometer would flicker too during these episodes. The speedometer needle would also fluctuate back and forth. I was told by a mechanic at an independent garage that these episodes were a symptom of a failing alternator. I took the truck to the Chevy dealer and had them replace the alternator. Shortly after that, it had another one of these episodes, although not as intense. After that final episode (2 years ago), no more of these Christmas tree light episodes occurred again.

By london_bridge
on 01/12/11 16:26 PM (PST)

We all need to contact Buick Customer Care. Paying thousands for replacing parts they KNEW were defective borders on being criminal. They never recalled the car, but quietly changed the known defective part, when it should have been recalled. It's as though they're in the business of keeping their service departments in business with $1000 labor costs for each repair. I am so scared that something else will break that I'll be trading it in very soon..I think even a Kia might be more reliable. At least I won't be spending $26K for one.

By social12
on 12/17/10 15:19 PM (PST)

I have a 2002 Buick Century. How did they fix your christmas tree of lights on the dash? 4 weeks ago I took my car in because the check engine light came on. They told me I needed a coolant thermostat, before I could get it in 1 day later to get it fixed the dash lights all came on and all gauges went to zero and gas went to E and dinged and then they all went out and came back on. Then the dealer said, didnt need thermostat, i needed a new igniton. 600.00 dollars later and 1 day later I got the car back and the christmas tree affect was still happening. I left it with them for 7days,, of course it acted normal for them and didnt mess up for them. I picked the car up and the coolant light came on. Took it right back and they checked it and I had oil in the radiator... took it to a GM dealer because, they should have noticed the coolant light in the 7 days they had it. Told GM all of the above and they replaced the thermostat and the intake gasket for 791.00. They assured me it was good to go. I got in the car today, 24hrs after I got it back and the dash lights are still going on and off and today my BRAKE light came on solo before the others chimed in. Also, they told me my fuse box was rusted and they bypassed the fuses for me instead of charging me another 250.00. I called GM and they want my car brought back in tmw morning to try and figure out this light issue. How did they fix yours or did you just get rid of the car? Last known mileage (it doesnt light anymore) was 2 weeks ago at 186,060.