2002 Buick Century Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

2002 Century Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Sort Reviews by

2002 Century Custom SE
By joewill

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My first good impressions of this car have gradually degraded to disillusionment. I still like the good performance for such a small economical engine but the noise gets irritating sometimes. Not just the roar of the accelerating engine, but the whine of the drivetrain when slowing down. The smooth ride on well maintained main roads changes to choppy, bouncy and ungainly on secondary roads and the suspension bottoms out with alarming thuds on potholes. My Corolla did better. A/C vents don't adjust upward enough to remove a layer of hot air at forehead level.

Favorite Features

exterior styling and finish; economical engine with good power

Suggested Improvements

provide brighter lighting in trunk and rear seat; reduce drivetrain noise; put a hand release on the parking brake; improve shock absorber resistance on compression

Best American-made Car
By Centuryforlife

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I rented the Century for a multistate trip and found it to be excellent in every regard. The power was great, handling was adequate and the features were well appointed. I've never driven in such a comfortable and smooth-riding car in my life! I recommended it highly to anyone considering a car purchase!

Favorite Features

3.1 liter engine, good sound system and soft seats

Suggested Improvements

glove box, glove box, glove box!

AWESOME
By PALOS VERDES

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

GREAT CAR!THIS IS WHAT I CALL AFFORDABLE LUXYRY!

Favorite Features

CONCERT SOUND III,ON STAR,LEATHER SEATING,ALARM SYSTEM (AUTOMATICALLY NOTIFIES POLICE AND TRACKS DOWN VEHICHLE)

Adequate but not compelled to buy
By tanman

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Our family of four rented one during our two week stay in Colorado. The 12 years old constantly complained about the lack of room compared to Dad's Passat! Overall the engine/tranny are well optimized but still felt light on power. Handling and comfort - well it's a Buick - but the seats were exceptionally poor. I still have a lingering back ache from the lack of support. I've driven Fords (actually own one!) and Chryslers and think the General really has the domestic competitors beat. But he better start benchmarking German cars before I'll buy one.

Favorite Features

Dual heat/AC controls. Big cup and sunglass holders.

Suggested Improvements

1) Fix the seats! 2) Fix the suspension! 3) Put some pizzazz in the styling!

My Lemon
By Bob from Florida

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My lemon lasted for 4983 miles and then had to be put to sleep. GM is still hassling us around with a refund or replacement after 50+ days. What a disgrace.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that runs OR can be repaired.

Comfortable middle size car
By mianfei

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

very roomy, easy to handle, stable, quite, especially on highway. a lot of features at such a low price.

Favorite Features

3 button On-Star system, auto dimming mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the cassette, nobody need it today, just waste of money.

Great Rental Car
By edavis

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Rented this car for 12 days and drove all over Washington, Oregon, and Montana's winding mountain roads at the typical traffic speeds. Very good handling touring car. Good comfort. We own a beloved LeSabre and were favorably impressed with the Century.

Favorite Features

Economy and comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would be nice, but this is not too big of a problem.

high quality excellent value
By warren p

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

purchased the 2002 in february to replace a 2000 century purchased new in feb. 2000. I planned to keep the 2000 a long time but my son needed a newer car so we sold him the 2000 and replaced it with an identical 2002. The 2000 had 34000 trouble free miles. My wife loves the car. Its comfortable on long trips (3 to 8 hours) you arrive relaxed and not worn out.

Favorite Features

excellent ride, excellent comfort. excellent fuel milage 34 mpg (hwy),both the 2000 and 2002- the 2002 has 4000 miles on it. Power seat,my wife and I can easily adjust the seat to a comfortable position. quiet engine,good power. A real value

Suggested Improvements

The tire noise is excessive (I would expect a buick to be quieter). Changing tire brands may help.(the 2000 had the same tires). Maybe the tires seem noisy because the engine and the rest of the car is so quiet,but GM ought to be able to deaden the noise to a lower level.

a very cool unexpensive car
By cornel

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It is an inexpensive car comparing with Toyota Camry, Honda Acord and it has similar performances. Drives smoothly, has power, comfort and high quality features.

Favorite Features

Cruise-Control

Suggested Improvements

Interior design is clasic I would like a modern design

Love my Century!
By snoopygrl

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I think this is a very underrated car. After owning unreliable Fords and Pontiacs, this is by far the best car I have ever had. I don't know why everyone refers to Buick as an "old man's car," I'm 30 and I think this car is way cooler than the Honda Civics that you see everyone driving.

Favorite Features

Seating is very comfortable, plenty of head and leg room. The huge trunk was also a selling point.

Suggested Improvements

A CD player should be standard. Also, the body design should be different from the Buick Regal.