Used 2002 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

2002 Buick Century Sedan

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Don't buy one!
By hedgeman1

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Every time I breathe this car breaks down. First manifold gaskets, then wheel speed sensor, then speed sensor harness, then a/c goes out then other wheel speed harness, then I have dash lights coming on like a Christmas tree on the dash! Check engine light, service engine light, abs light, traction control light! Digital odometer quit working, gear indicator no longer visible! Its one thing after another! Never ever will buy another one of these! If spent more in repairs in last 3 years then I spent for car!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

One of the Good Ones
By Robert Neglia

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems until last year, it seemed everything was going wrong at one time. Had leak in intake manifold gasket, Tie-Rod end went to include drive belt tensioner arm, one engine and transmission mount broke and a few other items, repairs were over $3,000; extended warranty helped, but still had to pay allot. Center brake lights shorted out few times. Inside lower door panel starting to rust. Now, getting noise after heavy rain when making steering corrections. Mileage is 14.8 city mid 20's highway. It is a bad feeling when you lose thrust in your cars reliability and those making repairs to your vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, good handling, great pick- up.

Suggested Improvements

Vanity lights have tendency to stay on need to improve switch. Drivers seat leather cracks and seam separates after 4 years. Redesign intake manifold gasket. Improve drivers seat lower lumbar support

still running strong at 114K
By pbm

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a review when the car had 30K and nothing has really changed as I approach 115K. I had the intake manifold gasket changed as a precaution (the 3.1 is known to leak). I had new struts installed at approximately 85K (NYC is tough on a car). This might be the best car I've ever owned and I see no problem hitting 200K.

Favorite Features

Comfort and decent gas mileage especially on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

GM should have installed a better i/m gasket and stopped using Dexcool long ago.

Surprise
By Alan Roberson

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new in 2002 for my wife, and as our primary vehicle for out of town trips. From the beginning the brakes squealed. A knock in the front end developed within the first year...EXACTLY like the previous 1999 Century we had. GM tried but never fixed it completely. Gotta be a design flaw for it to happen on both cars that we owned. Last week while my wife was driving to work a valve spring broke...major engine repair costs. This car has been babied and the oil religiously changed every 3000 miles. We are very disappointed as we thought we'd have this car many more miles. Will keep as second car and buy a good Honda for primary.

Favorite Features

Ride is exceptionally smooth and quiet which is the main reason we have owned two of them. Power and reliability was good til catastrophic engine failure.

Suggested Improvements

Don't build any more of them like this. What happened to Buick "Quality"? Won't buy another GM product.

The engine Buick Century Custom stinks!
By Sixinc

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a deal in June 2007 at 52000 miles. I am now in the process of flusing out oil from the radiator that came from the engine. There is at least 1/2 pint oil in the coolant reservior. Service Engine soon ligh comes on all the time, tire low light is always on, check coolant light never goes off. The tires, coolant and engine have all been serviced. My mechanic discovered that the engine oil leaked into the coolant. The engine will freeze soon if I don't replace it soon.

Suggested Improvements

Dependable engine