2002 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
Cheap Always Means "Cheap"!
By Roborob on 12/11/09 07:00 AM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We've tried to drive this car for two years, but I've already spent almost $1,000 in brake work, and now the famous intake gasket is screwing me out of decent trade-in value by leaking water out the tail pipe. This is a hidden leak that some drivers may not be aware of. Check all your fluids regularly. The 3.1 engine is nothing like the two previous Pontiacs we've owned, which gave no trouble at all. It does get the same excellent 27 mpg, though. Save your gas money and buy an import that will last. GM should go out of business.

5 1/2 years since last review
By pbm on 05/09/09 12:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I reviewed my Century in Oct.03 and very little has changed. The car now has 107K and has been the most reliable car I've owned. It's great in the snow with Tractional Control and FWD. The AC is still ice cold and has never needed to be recharged. I replaced the original battery before last winter even though it still started the car fine (I changed it at 7yrs/100K because I didn't want it to fail on a cold day). Except for routine maintenence the only work I've done was a replacement intake manifold gasket and bolts. I did this as a precaution (not because I was losing coolant) because the 3.1 is known for eventually leaking. I still get great mpg. This car will do another 100-150K easily.

5 years later
By pbm on 12/05/08 18:52 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It's been over 5 years (and about 75K) since I last rated this car and I'm still very happy with it. I now have 101K and she's running strong. Except for maintenance items the only things needed were new struts at 80K (driving in NYC can be tough). I also replaced the lower intake manifold gasket at 80K as a precaution (an $800 job) because the 3.1 is known to leak coolant into the oil eventually. I just replaced the original battery at 100K because I didn't want to chance getting stuck this winter. This car feels like 300K is doable. Mileage is still averaging about 25 mpg with over 30 on long trips. It has never let me down. A/C is still ice cold without ever being recharged.

Buick Century 02
By amac on 10/26/08 21:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Century for 4.5 years and for the most part we have been very happy. I am considering selling it now (almost 100k) and my wife does not want to sell it. We have had a warranty since we bought it and have gotten our money our of it. Mainly electric seat and power window. There was also gaskets, something with rear brake, and catalatic converter. The confort and ease of driving is definitely something that we will miss. It is nice that you can for a short distance fit 7 people (well mostly children). We have averaged about 27 mpg and I do not consider that bad for that car.

Just my luck
By gerald bolduc on 09/18/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from an Olds dealership and within the first 2 months I've had the battery changed and the head gasket replaced. Before I forget I too have paint chips under the wheelwells and I am waiting for my air conditiong to stop working. Overall a nice looking and very nice driving car but I guess I got stuck with one of those lemons that happened to come off the assembly line.

Dependability with nice style
By mimi on 05/01/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Dependable car for the money. Drives like a sports car. Good passing car, also has nice style and integrity.

Good deal
By cardy on 03/25/08 14:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Good dependable get to work car. Driven mostly on the highway. Have averaged about 27 mpg. GM should be forced to recall the intake manifold gasket which blows about every 85 to 100,00 miles. Had to replace it twice

Bessie the Buick
By Tim on 08/08/06 19:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from Enterprise rent a car sales in 2003. I've been reading all these reviews in looking for a new car, and I chose to submit a review on this car for those who may be looking for a great used car. This has been a great car over the last 60,000 miles that I've owned it. I put new tires on it when I got it - still look good. Oil changes and a set of brakes - that's all it's ever needed (and I'm really picky). I get 30 mpg on the highway all the time, and about 20 in the city. It's not flashy, but it runs great and is fairly comfortable until you hit the 3 hour mark on a drive. I highly recommend this model to those who are looking for dependable cheap transportation.

My Daughter's Car
By Bob Bruggeman on 02/27/06 14:52 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My dad gave this car to my daughter when she got her driver's license a few months ago. When she received it, it only had 10,000 miles on it. Overall, it is a great car. Good visibility and a very comfortable, quiet ride. The car has somewhat of a conservative look, which I like. Plenty of trunk space. Fuel economy is very good. The dashboard layout is conservative but functionable. The 3.1 litre V6 engine has done GM proud over the years. The only problem we have had with the car is an occasional brake pad rubbing sound in the left rear wheel. The car was taken to the local dealer, but they could not find a problem with it. This car should give my daughter many years of good service.

Best Car I've owned so far
By Yvonne Nicol on 01/12/06 18:28 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the best automobile I've owned so far. Had low mileage when I purchased it and I still think I got a deal! Gets great gas mileage for its size. Roomy trunk, lots of bells and whistles. Low tire light saved me from getting stuck on side of the road a couple of months ago. Always lets me know when to anticipate a problem, although there hasn't been anything major. We are very happy with it!