Used 2002 Buick Century Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

2002 Buick Century Sedan

View reviews for a specific Century model:

what a piece of crap!! Do not buy!!
By conniej1954

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Buick Centry as a program car in 2003 with about 13,000 miles on it. Within weeks it was in the repair shop. Repairs over time include motor mounts & king mounts replacement (there is still a "clicking" when braking, it was never fixed), complete dash replacment ( a year later, the odometer quit working again). The automatic windows roll down by themselves and do not roll back up. Anti lock brakes quit working with in a year of buying. Fuel pump replacement, brakes replacement. I take good car of my cars and do oil changes every 3,000 miles, tune ups, radiator flush,etc.

Favorite Features

When running, it got good gas mileage. It was parked at work and was hit by another car and was totaled...The best day of my life. I absolutely hated this car!

Suggested Improvements

This car was lemon but the dealership kept fixing things until the warranty ran out, then it was up to me to foot the bill. Believe me, I spent a small fortune on keeping it running.

One of the Good Ones
By Robert Neglia

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems until last year, it seemed everything was going wrong at one time. Had leak in intake manifold gasket, Tie-Rod end went to include drive belt tensioner arm, one engine and transmission mount broke and a few other items, repairs were over $3,000; extended warranty helped, but still had to pay allot. Center brake lights shorted out few times. Inside lower door panel starting to rust. Now, getting noise after heavy rain when making steering corrections. Mileage is 14.8 city mid 20's highway. It is a bad feeling when you lose thrust in your cars reliability and those making repairs to your vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, good handling, great pick- up.

Suggested Improvements

Vanity lights have tendency to stay on need to improve switch. Drivers seat leather cracks and seam separates after 4 years. Redesign intake manifold gasket. Improve drivers seat lower lumbar support

5 1/2 years since last review
By pbm

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I reviewed my Century in Oct.03 and very little has changed. The car now has 107K and has been the most reliable car I've owned. It's great in the snow with Tractional Control and FWD. The AC is still ice cold and has never needed to be recharged. I replaced the original battery before last winter even though it still started the car fine (I changed it at 7yrs/100K because I didn't want it to fail on a cold day). Except for routine maintenence the only work I've done was a replacement intake manifold gasket and bolts. I did this as a precaution (not because I was losing coolant) because the 3.1 is known for eventually leaking. I still get great mpg. This car will do another 100-150K easily.

Favorite Features

comfortable, economical and reliable. Great in the snow. A GREAT CAR.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.1 had the inherent design flaw of the im gasket and they are noisy on start-up but they are very durable (once you put the Fel-Pro 'Problem Solver' gasket on). It's economical too. Some feel that Dexcool is the problem but the design of the orig. gasket was bad and there were not enough bolts

Nothing Beats a Buick for Comfort!
By crhayes

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love Buicks because they are the most solid and comfortable ride than anything I've driven. Anyone who has driven my car says it "floats"! The only disappointment is the style..it never changes! In my book, Buick is top notch!

Favorite Features

The smooth ride....

Suggested Improvements

Styling

Century
By falconbrother

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This was my company car for a while. I put a lot of miles on her. I was very impressed with the century. I would buy one in a skinny minute.

Favorite Features

Great stereo, nice smooth ride, never needed any repairs.

Suggested Improvements

None