2002 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
I wish they still made this car
By midwestmrs on 03/19/12 18:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 Century in late 03. Have loved it ever since. Reliable, quiet, smooth comfortable ride, and has been cheap to own. Just routine maintenance. Not even a muffler. I did have the drivers side power window motor replaced several years ago. Car is now old. 160K miles, rocker panel rust, and things are starting to break. The gas guage has some kind of electrical problem. Hubby and mechanic said it's not worth fixing. It's time to replace the car. I still get 25-27 mpg. That is impossible to match in a car with this kind of comfort and quiet. I wish they still made this model. I test drove a 2011 Lucerne but the backup visibility is terrible for me. Maybe a 2011 LaCrosse or a Camry.

what a piece of crap!! Do not buy!!
By conniej1954 on 11/22/11 18:51 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Buick Centry as a program car in 2003 with about 13,000 miles on it. Within weeks it was in the repair shop. Repairs over time include motor mounts & king mounts replacement (there is still a "clicking" when braking, it was never fixed), complete dash replacment ( a year later, the odometer quit working again). The automatic windows roll down by themselves and do not roll back up. Anti lock brakes quit working with in a year of buying. Fuel pump replacement, brakes replacement. I take good car of my cars and do oil changes every 3,000 miles, tune ups, radiator flush,etc.

Not bad
By analee101 on 06/11/11 21:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Ok I'm 18 so I wasn't thrilled about the looks, but I have to say as far as performance and reliability goes, I'm impressed! It has had to have several things fixed and I have had a few problems with the breaks in the past, but the car is reliable, great stopping ability and can get to high speeds fairly quickly, nothing like a souped up sports car, but its good over my work to school then back home commute. I would definitely recommend!!!

Never again! Shame on you, GM!
By london_bridge on 01/12/11 16:18 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I treated this car better than any of my previous "rides". After 30 years on the road, I've found I get fewer & fewer miles on GM cars before parts fail. 32,000 and the Intake Manifold Gasket failed. I have a BIG problem with religiously taking my car into dealerships that will only suggest every form of maintenance except the one they know is suspicious. I'm too late for the DEX-COOL suit, but I did have a Chevy (62K) that was eligible. Submitted my documentation and rec'd a form letter that my car was a year older than it was, so it wasn't eligible. I also owned (before dealer exchanged) a Buick Skyhawk that had the same part fail at 40K before I bought it.

200,000+ and still going
By clrm on 08/27/10 22:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a really reliable one. Have had it 8 years and now has over 200,000 on it. The care is just now giving me trouble. The intake gasket has broken, a transmission valve had to be replace, the dashboard odometer has to be replaced, as well as the selector switch for the heat/ac. Most everything else has ran well. My driver's side window switch has a short in it, but I won't spend the money for the whole panel, when I know it needs only a new switch.

Don't buy one!
By hedgeman1 on 08/11/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Every time I breathe this car breaks down. First manifold gaskets, then wheel speed sensor, then speed sensor harness, then a/c goes out then other wheel speed harness, then I have dash lights coming on like a Christmas tree on the dash! Check engine light, service engine light, abs light, traction control light! Digital odometer quit working, gear indicator no longer visible! Its one thing after another! Never ever will buy another one of these! If spent more in repairs in last 3 years then I spent for car!

One of the Good Ones
By Robert Neglia on 03/16/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems until last year, it seemed everything was going wrong at one time. Had leak in intake manifold gasket, Tie-Rod end went to include drive belt tensioner arm, one engine and transmission mount broke and a few other items, repairs were over $3,000; extended warranty helped, but still had to pay allot. Center brake lights shorted out few times. Inside lower door panel starting to rust. Now, getting noise after heavy rain when making steering corrections. Mileage is 14.8 city mid 20's highway. It is a bad feeling when you lose thrust in your cars reliability and those making repairs to your vehicle.

still running strong at 114K
By pbm on 03/12/10 14:04 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a review when the car had 30K and nothing has really changed as I approach 115K. I had the intake manifold gasket changed as a precaution (the 3.1 is known to leak). I had new struts installed at approximately 85K (NYC is tough on a car). This might be the best car I've ever owned and I see no problem hitting 200K.

Surprise
By Alan Roberson on 02/21/10 09:42 AM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new in 2002 for my wife, and as our primary vehicle for out of town trips. From the beginning the brakes squealed. A knock in the front end developed within the first year...EXACTLY like the previous 1999 Century we had. GM tried but never fixed it completely. Gotta be a design flaw for it to happen on both cars that we owned. Last week while my wife was driving to work a valve spring broke...major engine repair costs. This car has been babied and the oil religiously changed every 3000 miles. We are very disappointed as we thought we'd have this car many more miles. Will keep as second car and buy a good Honda for primary.

The engine Buick Century Custom stinks!
By Sixinc on 01/23/10 20:06 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a deal in June 2007 at 52000 miles. I am now in the process of flusing out oil from the radiator that came from the engine. There is at least 1/2 pint oil in the coolant reservior. Service Engine soon ligh comes on all the time, tire low light is always on, check coolant light never goes off. The tires, coolant and engine have all been serviced. My mechanic discovered that the engine oil leaked into the coolant. The engine will freeze soon if I don't replace it soon.