POS-All those high ratings are after previous owner spent $$$$
By analytical on
2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)
FACT - all those high ratings come from people who got the Century after previous owner put $$$ into it. ALL GM 3100's & 3400’s for about 7 years had the problem with the Lower Intake Manifold gasket - ALL of them. This was a $1,400 repair at the dealership and the was a class action suit that GM agreed to settle for about $800 per owner but it was opened in 2007 & closed in 2008. Mine happened @ 58k miles 19 days after the close & they told me ‘Tough Luck’. Also they changed me over $300 to clear out the cooling system & replace thermostat and hoses after the GM DEX-COOL antifreeze turned into ‘clumps of sludge’ and clogged the radiator and cooling system. Cost me $1,000s to keep running.
Favorite Features
The original Continental tires were junk, front passenger was gone at 6k miles, front drivers went at 7k miles and GM and the dealership said ‘Too Bad’ tires not covered. Windshield ‘spontaneously’ cracked during the winter at 18k miles but was replaced by insurance. Also not covered was $200+ for each window regulator – they broke in all 4 doors and ABS problems with sensors & front calipers & rotors replaced costing over $625. Transmission started shifting REAL HARD after 31k miles – felt like a car rear-ended me when it shifted – and this cost over $1200 and three (3) trips to the dealership. The hub cap/wheel covers cracked and fell off in pieces starting at about 35k miles.
Suggested Improvements
And now with 62k miles the paint is fading/falling off the front and rear bumpers and the pin stripes are disappearing from the passenger side and from the rear door on the driver’s side. A piece of crap–no more GM’s for me-bought American consistently and had nothing problems one after another with GM. I hate to say it, but it looks like there’s a Honda/Toyota/Hyundai in the future as my next car. GM keeps sending $1,000, $2,000 or $3,00 off a new car. Even with the $3,000 I would NOT BREAK EVEN after all the repairs I had to make given the poor materials and build quality on GM cars. They let the Accountants squeeze every last penny of profit out of each car and the quality is dismal.