Used 2001 Buick Century Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

2001 Buick Century

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Most Helpful|
Buick Century
By J. Hawk

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best and most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. After almost 6 years of ownership, I have not had any mechanical problems. The only defect has been a window motor. I plan to purchase another Buick as a result of my experience with this car.

Favorite Features

Very quiet and well insulated car. Also, gas mileage has been a pleasant surprise! (Approx. 30 mpg)

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle should have under-hood light and gravel guards as an option. Also, passenger side air curtain.

Not bad for Buick
By jackrussel419

2001 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Buick Century and havent had too many problems with it. At about 140,000 miles i got that normal thing with buicks where the anitfreeze mixes with the oil and that was about a $900 fix but other than that that is the biggest issue ive had only other things are the drivers side window motor had to be replaced, had to get a new o2 sensor and brakes but thats just from the almost 200,000 miles that are on it, but definetly a reliable vehicle all year round.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, comfortable interior, nice handling, spacious seating

Suggested Improvements

rev limiter turned up, be better with a center console

Poorly Built, GM deserves it's troubles
By Publlius Publico

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We Bought this car because of a previous good experience with a 1997 model. This car is a disaster. This car belongs to a grandma that has it serviced regularly at her local Firestone.THis car rarely get up over 45 mph, It drives to the local stores and back. It had a Catastrophic Transmission failure at 33,000 miles costing 2,500 dollars. The cruise control never worked. too many rattles in the dash board and instrument panel to list. And no at 38,000 miles leaking head / manifold gaskets losing coolant with no warning lights going of due to low coolant level. The low washer fluid light works though!

Favorite Features

The concept. Exactly what we needed in theory. Style not cutting edge but happily I trade off trendy design features for solid reliability such as starting..going and stopping. It starts and stops it's the going that has the problems.

Suggested Improvements

Get out of the car making business.Yes you saved a few cents per unit on gasket material and made your millions as CEO. Someone deserves to be horsewhipped for putting loyal Buick owners into these "vehicles."

2001 Buick Centrury Custom 4 Dr
By jimmyt

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it as a second car to be used around town and local trips. It turns out I liked it so much, I use it as my commuter car for work. Gas mileage is excellent (26 mpg local and 30 mpg highway) and the V6 has plenty of power. What a surprise coming from a chunky Buick. Oh, and the comfort is worth it alone. The ride is very soft, so don't worry about fatigue, just be careful of the sharp curves. At 100K I replaced both axles, tie rods, one brg and did the usual 100k maintenance. There was some coolant loss, most likely due to GM's problem with the V6's, but one can of stop leak did the trick. Overall it's a great car if you don't mind the cigar jokes.

Favorite Features

The ride, power and gas mileage. It's so much better then banging around in a tin can and shifting gears.

Suggested Improvements

none

2001 Buick Century Custom.
By Oleg Dyachuk

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I had this handed to me as my first car, don't remember much about it but I know it had over 130k miles and it was leaking oil. I had it for 2 weeks until I fell asleep at 6 AM and crashed into an utility pole with it. cracked the pole in half and totalled the car. But i was perfectly fine, walked away with a tiny scratch over my eyebrow from the airbag.

Favorite Features

Airbag didn't hurt, as I thought all airbags do.

Suggested Improvements

Design, interior and exterior. Engine quality.