Used 2001 Buick Century Custom Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

2001 Buick Century Custom.
By Oleg Dyachuk

2001 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I had this handed to me as my first car, don't remember much about it but I know it had over 130k miles and it was leaking oil. I had it for 2 weeks until I fell asleep at 6 AM and crashed into an utility pole with it. cracked the pole in half and totalled the car. But i was perfectly fine, walked away with a tiny scratch over my eyebrow from the airbag.

Airbag didn't hurt, as I thought all airbags do.

Design, interior and exterior. Engine quality.

Great first car
By meganpumpkin

2001 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited this car from my grandmother and it made a great first car. It can handle running over curbs and forgetting an oil change or two. It has been incredibly reliable. I am currently looking for a car with better gas mileage since I drive so far but any one who gets this car is in for a treat. It may not look like much but it gets you from a to b every time.

POS-All those high ratings are after previous owner spent $$$$
By analytical

2001 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

FACT - all those high ratings come from people who got the Century after previous owner put $$$ into it. ALL GM 3100's & 3400’s for about 7 years had the problem with the Lower Intake Manifold gasket - ALL of them. This was a $1,400 repair at the dealership and the was a class action suit that GM agreed to settle for about $800 per owner but it was opened in 2007 & closed in 2008. Mine happened @ 58k miles 19 days after the close & they told me ‘Tough Luck’. Also they changed me over $300 to clear out the cooling system & replace thermostat and hoses after the GM DEX-COOL antifreeze turned into ‘clumps of sludge’ and clogged the radiator and cooling system. Cost me $1,000s to keep running.

The original Continental tires were junk, front passenger was gone at 6k miles, front drivers went at 7k miles and GM and the dealership said ‘Too Bad’ tires not covered. Windshield ‘spontaneously’ cracked during the winter at 18k miles but was replaced by insurance. Also not covered was $200+ for each window regulator – they broke in all 4 doors and ABS problems with sensors & front calipers & rotors replaced costing over $625. Transmission started shifting REAL HARD after 31k miles – felt like a car rear-ended me when it shifted – and this cost over $1200 and three (3) trips to the dealership. The hub cap/wheel covers cracked and fell off in pieces starting at about 35k miles.

And now with 62k miles the paint is fading/falling off the front and rear bumpers and the pin stripes are disappearing from the passenger side and from the rear door on the driver’s side. A piece of crap–no more GM’s for me-bought American consistently and had nothing problems one after another with GM. I hate to say it, but it looks like there’s a Honda/Toyota/Hyundai in the future as my next car. GM keeps sending $1,000, $2,000 or $3,00 off a new car. Even with the $3,000 I would NOT BREAK EVEN after all the repairs I had to make given the poor materials and build quality on GM cars. They let the Accountants squeeze every last penny of profit out of each car and the quality is dismal.

A good one.
By Krystal

2001 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It seems that this model was either spectacular or failed after 33k. Mine seems to be a spectacular one. It has close to 175K and still runs great. It has mostly run on the old green coolant rather than the DEXcool (everywhere you could put coolant it is labeled 'green' from the previous owner). I get an average of 27 MPG from mixed city and highway driving. Once I got 40 on highway! The car is in pretty good shape.

The cup holders are the the best position for me.

The window problem. The driver window panel is troublesome and if you just roll down the back windows it hurts your ears.

Best car ever
By KTS

2001 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bouught the Buick used,and haven't regretted it ever. Car has over 250,000 miles on it. I don't baby my cars, quite the opposite. We did replace the engine, but my son never changed the oil the year he had it, so our fault. The engine did have over 150,000 miles on it before it died. I'm driving her til she dies and don't think that will be soon. I drive this car everywhere across the state, on vacation. VERY DEPENDABLE!!!

Comfy seats,huge trunk, handling...the ride, comfY

The plain Jane exterior, not a real pretty car