2001 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
Great first car
By meganpumpkin on 07/02/12 20:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited this car from my grandmother and it made a great first car. It can handle running over curbs and forgetting an oil change or two. It has been incredibly reliable. I am currently looking for a car with better gas mileage since I drive so far but any one who gets this car is in for a treat. It may not look like much but it gets you from a to b every time.

POS-All those high ratings are after previous owner spent $$$$
By analytical on 01/26/11 11:46 AM (PST)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

FACT - all those high ratings come from people who got the Century after previous owner put $$$ into it. ALL GM 3100's & 3400’s for about 7 years had the problem with the Lower Intake Manifold gasket - ALL of them. This was a $1,400 repair at the dealership and the was a class action suit that GM agreed to settle for about $800 per owner but it was opened in 2007 & closed in 2008. Mine happened @ 58k miles 19 days after the close & they told me ‘Tough Luck’. Also they changed me over $300 to clear out the cooling system & replace thermostat and hoses after the GM DEX-COOL antifreeze turned into ‘clumps of sludge’ and clogged the radiator and cooling system. Cost me $1,000s to keep running.

A good one.
By Krystal on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It seems that this model was either spectacular or failed after 33k. Mine seems to be a spectacular one. It has close to 175K and still runs great. It has mostly run on the old green coolant rather than the DEXcool (everywhere you could put coolant it is labeled 'green' from the previous owner). I get an average of 27 MPG from mixed city and highway driving. Once I got 40 on highway! The car is in pretty good shape.

Best car ever
By KTS on 09/04/10 03:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bouught the Buick used,and haven't regretted it ever. Car has over 250,000 miles on it. I don't baby my cars, quite the opposite. We did replace the engine, but my son never changed the oil the year he had it, so our fault. The engine did have over 150,000 miles on it before it died. I'm driving her til she dies and don't think that will be soon. I drive this car everywhere across the state, on vacation. VERY DEPENDABLE!!!

2001 Buick Centrury Custom 4 Dr
By jimmyt on 04/06/10 18:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it as a second car to be used around town and local trips. It turns out I liked it so much, I use it as my commuter car for work. Gas mileage is excellent (26 mpg local and 30 mpg highway) and the V6 has plenty of power. What a surprise coming from a chunky Buick. Oh, and the comfort is worth it alone. The ride is very soft, so don't worry about fatigue, just be careful of the sharp curves. At 100K I replaced both axles, tie rods, one brg and did the usual 100k maintenance. There was some coolant loss, most likely due to GM's problem with the V6's, but one can of stop leak did the trick. Overall it's a great car if you don't mind the cigar jokes.

Great Ride!
By Great Ride on 03/11/10 12:42 PM (PST)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car to take long trips across country & back. About to make the fourth long trip! Also use for commute each day. It's very comfortable, roomy, smooth on highways, safe in snow. Have replaced tires, brakes, from normal wear & tear. Light bulbs in headlamps & tail lamps seem to go out frequently compared to other cars we've had. Teenager needs a car & they will get the new one-I will keep driving the Buick!

Still Rolling
By Mart on 03/05/10 12:09 PM (PST)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used in 2003 with 38K. Previous life was a rental. Now with over 150K all types of things have gone wrong in the past 12 months. Intake manifold leaking, cruise control out & gas gauge undependable. However I have not had any brake, exhaust, or tranny problems, and the car always started! No rust on body either. Time to trade in or give to charity, but it was a very good investment.

great car
By r bell on 07/16/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The car is very dependable. I've had no problems with it. The odometer is at 165,000. Handles well in winter weather--starts easily during those sub-zero mornings.

MY econo buick
By rob on 03/19/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very good on fuel if you get to speed and hold it steady ive hit 36mpg with many 35 miles per gallon. THe car rewards easy driving with cash back.

Poorly Built, GM deserves it's troubles
By Publlius Publico on 02/27/08 19:54 PM (PST)

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We Bought this car because of a previous good experience with a 1997 model. This car is a disaster. This car belongs to a grandma that has it serviced regularly at her local Firestone.THis car rarely get up over 45 mph, It drives to the local stores and back. It had a Catastrophic Transmission failure at 33,000 miles costing 2,500 dollars. The cruise control never worked. too many rattles in the dash board and instrument panel to list. And no at 38,000 miles leaking head / manifold gaskets losing coolant with no warning lights going of due to low coolant level. The low washer fluid light works though!