2001 Buick Century Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

2001 Century Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Sort Reviews by

Great first car
By meganpumpkin

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited this car from my grandmother and it made a great first car. It can handle running over curbs and forgetting an oil change or two. It has been incredibly reliable. I am currently looking for a car with better gas mileage since I drive so far but any one who gets this car is in for a treat. It may not look like much but it gets you from a to b every time.

Not bad for Buick
By jackrussel419

2001 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Buick Century and havent had too many problems with it. At about 140,000 miles i got that normal thing with buicks where the anitfreeze mixes with the oil and that was about a $900 fix but other than that that is the biggest issue ive had only other things are the drivers side window motor had to be replaced, had to get a new o2 sensor and brakes but thats just from the almost 200,000 miles that are on it, but definetly a reliable vehicle all year round.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, comfortable interior, nice handling, spacious seating

Suggested Improvements

rev limiter turned up, be better with a center console

POS-All those high ratings are after previous owner spent $$$$
By analytical

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

FACT - all those high ratings come from people who got the Century after previous owner put $$$ into it. ALL GM 3100's & 3400’s for about 7 years had the problem with the Lower Intake Manifold gasket - ALL of them. This was a $1,400 repair at the dealership and the was a class action suit that GM agreed to settle for about $800 per owner but it was opened in 2007 & closed in 2008. Mine happened @ 58k miles 19 days after the close & they told me ‘Tough Luck’. Also they changed me over $300 to clear out the cooling system & replace thermostat and hoses after the GM DEX-COOL antifreeze turned into ‘clumps of sludge’ and clogged the radiator and cooling system. Cost me $1,000s to keep running.

Favorite Features

The original Continental tires were junk, front passenger was gone at 6k miles, front drivers went at 7k miles and GM and the dealership said ‘Too Bad’ tires not covered. Windshield ‘spontaneously’ cracked during the winter at 18k miles but was replaced by insurance. Also not covered was $200+ for each window regulator – they broke in all 4 doors and ABS problems with sensors & front calipers & rotors replaced costing over $625. Transmission started shifting REAL HARD after 31k miles – felt like a car rear-ended me when it shifted – and this cost over $1200 and three (3) trips to the dealership. The hub cap/wheel covers cracked and fell off in pieces starting at about 35k miles.

Suggested Improvements

And now with 62k miles the paint is fading/falling off the front and rear bumpers and the pin stripes are disappearing from the passenger side and from the rear door on the driver’s side. A piece of crap–no more GM’s for me-bought American consistently and had nothing problems one after another with GM. I hate to say it, but it looks like there’s a Honda/Toyota/Hyundai in the future as my next car. GM keeps sending $1,000, $2,000 or $3,00 off a new car. Even with the $3,000 I would NOT BREAK EVEN after all the repairs I had to make given the poor materials and build quality on GM cars. They let the Accountants squeeze every last penny of profit out of each car and the quality is dismal.

A good one.
By Krystal

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It seems that this model was either spectacular or failed after 33k. Mine seems to be a spectacular one. It has close to 175K and still runs great. It has mostly run on the old green coolant rather than the DEXcool (everywhere you could put coolant it is labeled 'green' from the previous owner). I get an average of 27 MPG from mixed city and highway driving. Once I got 40 on highway! The car is in pretty good shape.

Favorite Features

The cup holders are the the best position for me.

Suggested Improvements

The window problem. The driver window panel is troublesome and if you just roll down the back windows it hurts your ears.

Best car ever
By KTS

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bouught the Buick used,and haven't regretted it ever. Car has over 250,000 miles on it. I don't baby my cars, quite the opposite. We did replace the engine, but my son never changed the oil the year he had it, so our fault. The engine did have over 150,000 miles on it before it died. I'm driving her til she dies and don't think that will be soon. I drive this car everywhere across the state, on vacation. VERY DEPENDABLE!!!

Favorite Features

Comfy seats,huge trunk, handling...the ride, comfY

Suggested Improvements

The plain Jane exterior, not a real pretty car

2001 Buick Centrury Custom 4 Dr
By jimmyt

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it as a second car to be used around town and local trips. It turns out I liked it so much, I use it as my commuter car for work. Gas mileage is excellent (26 mpg local and 30 mpg highway) and the V6 has plenty of power. What a surprise coming from a chunky Buick. Oh, and the comfort is worth it alone. The ride is very soft, so don't worry about fatigue, just be careful of the sharp curves. At 100K I replaced both axles, tie rods, one brg and did the usual 100k maintenance. There was some coolant loss, most likely due to GM's problem with the V6's, but one can of stop leak did the trick. Overall it's a great car if you don't mind the cigar jokes.

Favorite Features

The ride, power and gas mileage. It's so much better then banging around in a tin can and shifting gears.

Suggested Improvements

none

Catalytic Converter Problems
By Millie

2001 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Problems started when car was only 6 months old. I have replaced the converter 5 times and had it in for more repairs than anyone should ever have to. I have taken it to repair places other than Buick and they do not know what is wrong. I have contacted GM on many occasions and they keep referring me back to the Buick Dealers mechanics who do not know what is wrong either. I have left the car for days and their mechanics have driven and used up my gas and still no solution. I am retired and have put 8000 dollars into this in repairs as they tell me first it need this and then something else the next time, I am at my wits end.

Favorite Features

I have owned Buicks for years, but if no solution I will own no more

Suggested Improvements

The improvements I would suggest is that you take better care of families that have been long time buyers. I would also improve the Lumbar in the seat.

Great Ride!
By Great Ride

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car to take long trips across country & back. About to make the fourth long trip! Also use for commute each day. It's very comfortable, roomy, smooth on highways, safe in snow. Have replaced tires, brakes, from normal wear & tear. Light bulbs in headlamps & tail lamps seem to go out frequently compared to other cars we've had. Teenager needs a car & they will get the new one-I will keep driving the Buick!

Favorite Features

Comfort, room. Front bench can seat three when you have extra passengers. Smooth, quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

When rear window is down but not front window, it makes a horrible, ear splitting roar for the driver! Can be fixed by opening front windows a little. Light bulbs need to be replaced frequently.

Still Rolling
By Mart

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used in 2003 with 38K. Previous life was a rental. Now with over 150K all types of things have gone wrong in the past 12 months. Intake manifold leaking, cruise control out & gas gauge undependable. However I have not had any brake, exhaust, or tranny problems, and the car always started! No rust on body either. Time to trade in or give to charity, but it was a very good investment.

Favorite Features

Bench seating, body styling, ABS, roomy rear seating, trunk space, tight steering, highway gas mileage 30.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major

great car
By r bell

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The car is very dependable. I've had no problems with it. The odometer is at 165,000. Handles well in winter weather--starts easily during those sub-zero mornings.

Favorite Features

Air works well. The car cools down easily during those hot & humid 90+ degree days in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements are being made with the next generation of Buicks. For the era this car was designed well overall.