Used 2001 Buick Century Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Most Helpful|
Catalytic Converter Problems
By Millie

2001 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Problems started when car was only 6 months old. I have replaced the converter 5 times and had it in for more repairs than anyone should ever have to. I have taken it to repair places other than Buick and they do not know what is wrong. I have contacted GM on many occasions and they keep referring me back to the Buick Dealers mechanics who do not know what is wrong either. I have left the car for days and their mechanics have driven and used up my gas and still no solution. I am retired and have put 8000 dollars into this in repairs as they tell me first it need this and then something else the next time, I am at my wits end.

Favorite Features

I have owned Buicks for years, but if no solution I will own no more

Suggested Improvements

The improvements I would suggest is that you take better care of families that have been long time buyers. I would also improve the Lumbar in the seat.

POS-All those high ratings are after previous owner spent $$$$
By analytical

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

FACT - all those high ratings come from people who got the Century after previous owner put $$$ into it. ALL GM 3100's & 3400’s for about 7 years had the problem with the Lower Intake Manifold gasket - ALL of them. This was a $1,400 repair at the dealership and the was a class action suit that GM agreed to settle for about $800 per owner but it was opened in 2007 & closed in 2008. Mine happened @ 58k miles 19 days after the close & they told me ‘Tough Luck’. Also they changed me over $300 to clear out the cooling system & replace thermostat and hoses after the GM DEX-COOL antifreeze turned into ‘clumps of sludge’ and clogged the radiator and cooling system. Cost me $1,000s to keep running.

Favorite Features

The original Continental tires were junk, front passenger was gone at 6k miles, front drivers went at 7k miles and GM and the dealership said ‘Too Bad’ tires not covered. Windshield ‘spontaneously’ cracked during the winter at 18k miles but was replaced by insurance. Also not covered was $200+ for each window regulator – they broke in all 4 doors and ABS problems with sensors & front calipers & rotors replaced costing over $625. Transmission started shifting REAL HARD after 31k miles – felt like a car rear-ended me when it shifted – and this cost over $1200 and three (3) trips to the dealership. The hub cap/wheel covers cracked and fell off in pieces starting at about 35k miles.

Suggested Improvements

And now with 62k miles the paint is fading/falling off the front and rear bumpers and the pin stripes are disappearing from the passenger side and from the rear door on the driver’s side. A piece of crap–no more GM’s for me-bought American consistently and had nothing problems one after another with GM. I hate to say it, but it looks like there’s a Honda/Toyota/Hyundai in the future as my next car. GM keeps sending $1,000, $2,000 or $3,00 off a new car. Even with the $3,000 I would NOT BREAK EVEN after all the repairs I had to make given the poor materials and build quality on GM cars. They let the Accountants squeeze every last penny of profit out of each car and the quality is dismal.

Poorly Built, GM deserves it's troubles
By Publlius Publico

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We Bought this car because of a previous good experience with a 1997 model. This car is a disaster. This car belongs to a grandma that has it serviced regularly at her local Firestone.THis car rarely get up over 45 mph, It drives to the local stores and back. It had a Catastrophic Transmission failure at 33,000 miles costing 2,500 dollars. The cruise control never worked. too many rattles in the dash board and instrument panel to list. And no at 38,000 miles leaking head / manifold gaskets losing coolant with no warning lights going of due to low coolant level. The low washer fluid light works though!

Favorite Features

The concept. Exactly what we needed in theory. Style not cutting edge but happily I trade off trendy design features for solid reliability such as starting..going and stopping. It starts and stops it's the going that has the problems.

Suggested Improvements

Get out of the car making business.Yes you saved a few cents per unit on gasket material and made your millions as CEO. Someone deserves to be horsewhipped for putting loyal Buick owners into these "vehicles."

The good the bad and the truth
By curtis lear

2001 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I like the looks and the good gas milage. The car rides good for a mid- size. There are lots of extras that make the car convenient to drive. But there are many blind spots that make it difficult to see to the side or back when trying to shift lanes. The car lacks power but is sufficient for any one who is not in a race. Take heed to those who say transmission troubles appear about 65000 miles. They are telling the truth.Be prepared to spend $1500-$2500 on another transmission. Other than the expense of a transmission you may have a dependable car.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, good gas milage, better than average ride and I like the split bench seats.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission so it will last longer. Better design of the interior that would eliminate bind spots as you try to look to the side or rear of the car. It could use more power.

Transmission
By jib

2001 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a Buick Regal, which I had really no problems with for 100K+ miles to purchase a uses Century with 20K miles. By 26K miles it started slipping and took it in for service. Replaced some sort of pressure valve, which did nothing. Had it back in 3 more times before it finally died on my wife and had to be towed in. Overhauled the transmission…still not operating right. Took it back in for the 5th time last week and will be returning it for the 6th time next week. I imagine the transmission will eventually just need to be replaced completely as it does not appear as thought they have a clue as to what is causing the problem. On the upside, I did not purchase the extended warranty