1999 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
Built like a tank
By ryan on 04/02/09 15:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 68k mi on it, owned for now 3 years with no problems other than a blown battery (and thats aint the cars fault). Gas milage decent for a roomy car like this. Interior styling is boring at best though- features are there but you have to look hard to find them. To spice these models up- you must get them in sante fe red! Covers bumps in road like ship with lots of suspension float (this may have been less noticable in earlier days) but it mostly handles like an old rolls royce. Numb but easy steering feel, not a sports car but has a "silent but powerful" engine. Best on long highway trips or daily commutes. Bad to park in cities.

So Far so Good
By GO EAGLES on 01/21/09 12:34 PM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with only 58,000 original miles (obviously from an older couple who never drove) and paid a reasonable $4000. I have already driven it 8,000 miles in about 5 months and have had no issues to speak of. The intake manifold gasket was replaced before I bought it (apparetnly this is a common problem with this V6) and I'm hoping I will only have to do oil changes for a while. The car is not fast or good looking or anything to brag about, but it is comfortable, reliable, and gets decent gas mileage. Right now I am getting about 32 highway and 25 city. I have driven this car as far north as Boston and as far south as Washington DC and many places in between with nothing bad to say.

My First Car!
By ryan on 10/14/08 21:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my Century very much. I love the power seats in it. They are so comfortable and easy to adjust. The ride is excellent, as any Buick would be, and it is mostly quiet. The engine is very refined and responds with plenty of power when I need it. The transmission is a little unrefined, but I can't complain. I drive super slow so I can get the best fuel economy possible, and I am getting 22mpg consistently with about 80% hwy/20% city driving. The back seat is plenty big to carry passengers in comfort. The trunk is also ginormous! The interior is functional, but a little cheap. There's a lot of hard plastics that don't really fit together well. Overall, for my first car, I love it!

American Tough
By Jason on 08/30/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

This was a great little car for an on the go family. Very basic, not a lot of frills. Can fit 3 carseats in the back. We were in a head on collision with a BMW. We won. The amount of body damage we sustained was minimal compared to the other car. Real metal hoods make a difference. Before the wreck, power items were a problem, i.e. windows, mirrors.

A decent car
By good car on 11/21/06 19:32 PM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I really did like this car for the quality of driving, but I had serious problems with the electric windows. I replaced 3 of them within a year and my brother is now having to replace all of them again since buying the car from me. A very comfortable car. I would reccomend it to anyone. Just dont use the windows

Wonderful value
By Todd on 02/15/06 14:54 PM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

This car was bought new by my mother in law who no longer drives, with only 30k miles since new. The car is comfortable up front with average performance and fuel economy. It is good for long trips as the overdrive is a good cruising gear for 60-70 mph. It could have scored higher marks but I am 6'1" and when I am in the back seats there is not sufficent head room. It seems that most cars just do not take into account that there are people in the world who are larger than 5'8" and 150 lbs. Other than that it is a great car with no major weaknesses. Like most Buicks it does the job it is supposed to do, well but with little fanfare.

Century 1999
By emanuel on 02/06/06 01:52 AM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Great car, good fuel economy, lots of power. The cosmetic - poor job. The plastic around the windshield is falling apart and the power window is terible. By 120,000 I already replaced 5 power window motors assembly which cost over $320 parts only.(have to buy the whole assembly) The car is fun to drive but the little things drives me crazy. Great engine and very comfortable. It could be a great car if GM motors pays more attention to detail. Power windows is a major problem for the Century.

Century 99
By ggn_67 on 01/21/06 16:30 PM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Great value for the buck. No major problems in 6 years, plan to keep it other 3 years at least. The 6th seat is a great alternative we haven't found in new cars.

The Best
By val de vargas on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle originally to show Real estate in Albuquerque, NM. aaaaaaaaaand I did . the only reason I am selling is because the Buyers in Santa Fe would like me to take them in avehicle that can handle dirt roads. so now I need a SUV. I am currently 69 years old. I drive this wonderful vehicle as I would show a beautiful property. In other words I have retained all maintenance records.You won"t believe this vehicle has 95000 miles. See for yourself.Call me for a Showing. 505 4121593. They call the color GOLD.This vehicle handles like a LEXUS.And the best part of it all you can seat 6 grownups. Thank you for your time.

Buick Century
By Hallee on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

No mechanical problems for over 3 years. Puchased new.