1999 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
My First Car
By rachel152 on 06/17/13 17:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I have to say, driving a Buick Century for my 16th birthday wasn't the most stylish thing, but I loved it! This car has about 150,000 miles on it and has had no problems. (just a few minor things) The gas mileage is pretty decent in this car. The seats are unbelievably comfortable. The stereo works incredibly well and is loud. Drives wonderfully on the highway, and surprisingly does good in snow, etc. Back seats are comfortable and offer tons of room. I would actually recommend this car over the car I drive now (Jeep Liberty). This was my first car and I still loved it, and I'm sure I would buy one again if I had the choice.

Decent
By combatdoc on 02/06/13 05:48 AM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Inside is boring as others have stated, nothing outstanding. Bought with 42K miles on it. Does start every time. Have had issues with intake manifold gasket 2 times. $600.00 each time to repair. Some bands in tranny broke at 142,000 miles, around $750.00 to repair. Went thru tires like water thru a siv. Had to have EVERYTHING replaced including struts and mounts. Have replaced every window motor, now 2 more are out. Replaced egr valve. Seems everything carbons up quickly, just have to make sure to use a good quality cleaner every thousand miles or so. At around 60,000 miles, anti-freeze jelled up and have to have radiator replaced, heater core removed and cleaned. cruise control broken.

Way better than expected
By paul2002 on 02/07/12 14:23 PM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Purchased this in 2007 when I had a vehicle emergency. Needed a car, and this was going for $3500 with only 89K miles. I figured I'd drive it until I found the car I was looking for. Now 5 years and 100K miles later I'm still driving it. It's going on 200K miles, and I still haven't had to replace anything! The miles I've put on it have been all highway, but it just won't die. Oil changes every 6000 miles, and one set of tires. I've done nothing else. Reliable and cheap if you are picking one up used, but a word of caution...don't purchase this car if you are around 40 years old. You are almost guaranteeing early onset of a mid-life crisis, which might result in your purchasing a Corvette.

second car ever and loving it.
By wonderchef2012 on 12/17/11 19:28 PM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

this car is better than the first car i purchased. i am 19 and my first car lasted 3 months before the transmission caused a whole bunch of things to go wrong. this car is bigger, better and more reliable. i know i am probably too young to want this car but i am loving every mile it gives me and i love the room it has.

Never again
By Raymond on 07/25/10 16:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I thought this was going to be a great car when i first got it, i was wrong. So many thing broke down on this car. All the windows stopped working, AC stopped blowing cold, Alternator gave out, intake manifold gaskets wore out, radiator went bad, brake lines rusted out, water pump went bad, wheel alignment is off wearing out tires very quickly. This car has been a real inconvenience and it only has 113k on it. I know many other people who have the same type of problems with their buicks. This car has been very unreliable, i don't trust it at all, and i sure as hell wouldn't recommend one. Seriously i'm never buying a GM product ever again.

Great Car for the Value - Still Driving
By Charles on 05/28/10 19:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Great Car for the Value - Still Driving with 170,000 miles. Great comfortable highway auto. Just oil changes, tires and brakes. New transmission at 75,000 miles, and going ever since. Low maintenance. Good Stereo. Seats are comfortable. More support would be better in back portion.Only problem was the cup holders that broke at 110,000 miles.

Excellent
By Buckeye Barbie on 04/06/10 21:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

With the Exception of the Window Motors, this car has been an Excellent Car. I love it!

Excellent car
By Rob on 01/09/10 06:10 AM (PST)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Got this as my first car and had it not been totaled in a highway accident, would have driven it for years to come. While it's average looking, it's the most comfortable car I've ever been in. The seats have the perfect amount of cushioning and when driving on the highway you'd think you were sitting still it's so quiet and smooth. I felt absolutely no bumps ever, which I suppose is expected of a Buick (it's famous for floating down the roads). The interior is basic, but if you're looking for a stylish car you shouldn't be going toward a '99 Buick anyway. The controls are easy to get to and understandable, and you feel like there's plenty of room in the front seat. Very recommended.

One of the good ones
By Mike on 06/26/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I have had to repair wear and tear items, brakes, shocks, sway bar lingage and brake lines and that stuff isn't cheap, but it always starts no matter how cold whatever the weather, never stalls and runs exellent. If you maintain and take care of it (with exceptions)the Century should rarely let you down.

quiet and competent
By ruzz on 04/20/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

My first car, my parents got it for me. As usual, not the choice I would have made, but Dad made the right one I must now admit. She's almost at the 100,000 mile mark and the only problem I've had was the breaks went on me, but even then it performed admirably and got me home safe. Pretty good handling and very forgiving, but it will also move when you tell it to. The overall exterior is designed more for a conservative buyer, but the unremarkable looks actually works to your benefit if you pass an officer of the law a little too much on the expeditious side, as opposed to doing so in a more aggressively styled car. Just do the routine maintenance and you should have no problems.