Used 1998 Buick Century Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

1998 Buick Century

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Comfortable and smooth and 11 years old
By Tiarella

1998 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

This car has large comfortable seats, smooth ride, and a huge trunk. Nice for travel. If you need a trunk to hold 4 golf bags, this is the car for you. The only problems I've had are two windows quit working, the ABS needed repair, and the cup holders broke off. Had its first tune up at over 100,000 miles. If you use the door button to lock the doors when you get out, there is a delay after you shut the door before the car locks (in case you forgot keys or something). If you don't want the delay, you just hit the button twice, or you can use the key fob to lock it instantly.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats in the front and back, generous rear leg room, automatic headlights, several inside lights, and a very large trunk. Doors are locked when the car is running and in gear, so I feel safer at red lights.

Suggested Improvements

Better electronic windows and cup holders. Needs a locking gas cap. Car horn honks when car is locked with the key fob, so I usually use the inside door lock button.

1998 Buick Century Custom 4 Door Sedan
By mg

1998 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used it's Canadian made. Has alot of things that go wrong for no reason and could have easily been remedied if addressed correctly during manufacturing processes. Replaced the fan blower because it's mounted upside down under passenger side it wore the spacer so it would hang up squeel and stop. Head Gasket is blown for no reason other than bad mixture of parts componants engine to Head cover two different metals that destroys the Gasket.Caused the coolant to mix with the oil.

Favorite Features

Excellant gas milage I mean this car gets around 300 miles to a tank which cost around $25.00 to fill at around $2.20 a gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the cable system used in the electric windows three of the four windows won't work motors and switches are fine.Multi fan speed switch only works at highest level,sensors work sometimes which fails to alert of over heating etc.check engine light won't stay off even when turned off by shop

Great car
By proendesign

1998 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 9 years now- it's been great. No major issues,a few flaws, but 1998 was the first year of the new model. I have about 210,000 km (divide that by 1.6 for miles) and I just did regular maintenance. Very confortable and quiet. As it is getting older, I consider replacing it with an Audi A8 or BMW 760i but in all honesty I have no reason other than getting a new and fancy toy. I highly recommend it (check the J.D. Power reports on Buick, both Century and Regal).

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, quietness (it happened to me several times when I tried to start the engine when the engine was actually running), reliability.

Suggested Improvements

GM should have kept the engineering and changed the exterior sheet-metal only. Cup holder ingenious but flimsy, to honk you have to press hard and I find it being a safety issue, rubber seal sticks to the windows.

10 Years and Going Strong
By mstoys18

1998 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

10 years with no major repairs, just the typical maintenence. It is very reliable. About 21 miles to the gallon overall. I do mostly city driving from one football or baseball field to the next. It seats 6 in a pinch. It is extremely comfortable for long trips. Only replaced the cup holder since I owned it.

Favorite Features

Trunk release, power seats, 6 passenger seating & lots of leg room for the back seat passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holder design.

Awesome car for the price!
By jessica

1998 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 75,000 miles on it. Since then I have put 43k on it myself, and now have 118k miles on it. The only things I have done to this car so far is brakes and oil changes. This car has never broken down on me! Which means a lot because I have driven some lemons and had constant problems in the past. I have never had any mechanical issues except the heater-- at 115k it would only blow on high. The gas mileage isn't the greatest for it being a car, but other than that, very smooth ride, exceptionally reliable, the car looks brand new and I only paid $4,000 for it used. Well worth the value!

Favorite Features

Smooth drive, very reliable, beautiful looking car-- excellent exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could maybe be improved, but other than that, no complaints at all!