Used 1997 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Most Reliable One Yet!
By BuickOwnerSince72

1997 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Not all cars are built the same. But I've had Buicks for that past 37 years, all of them have been very dependable averaging 300K miles before I sold them after owning them brand new. BUT this one has been the best so far! I would have sold it years ago, but I'm driving more and more and just can't bare to part with it. 630k miles are on it now, only replacing the usual belts, hoses, spark plugs&wires, fluids, brakes, and tyres etc. No major mechanical defects of any kind! Plus if I keep my foot out of it upon acceleration, I get 26 in the city and 33 on the highway running 80. Its reliable too! I live in Maine and TN its never been garaged and always fires right up regardless of temperature

33 mpg. Rock Solid Reliability. Styling has aged well, its no beauty queen. but considering I've had it 14 years now it looks no different that the 2005 model which was the last Century. The comfort! Its supple without being marshmallowy. Its very civilized on the road and enough power for all needs

None really come to mind. Remember brand new this car only cost 17k dollars. Its not a Mercedes, but its been more places than others mercedes, and with LESS Trouble than any honda or toyota, I'm sure!

Built in America
By M Scoville

1997 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Needed a car in a pinch and bought my Century not because a mechanic said it was OK but because it was a Buick. Times were bad and I bought it at one of those "We tote the Note" places. I haven't had one bit of trouble. At times on the highway I can get 38mpg but typically I get 22 in the city and 30 hwy. My car has 148,000 miles and starts in the cold of Iowa. This has a 3.1 engine-I was scared because it wasn't the 3.8 I found no difference at all.I want a new car so bad but this car is as good when I bought it. I even thought about looking for another 1997. This car had the same rating as the 1997 Lexus 400 and the maintenence is less expensive. I simply now say my car is a '97 LexusBuick. If you want more bling move up the Buick ladder. Safe for your children too.

I hated American paint job but the paint on my Century still shines like new.12 years old and people think the car is a 2004. I love the paint job-- this car is one of the best model of Buick that I have driven.I'm 45 driven a lot of different cars. Now I know why my grandfather always bought a Buick

Not one thing it is a great basic car that drives great and looks great.

600K+ miles still going strong
By Buickbuildquality

1997 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I've owned this vehicle its whole life, and I can only say that when my Lexus wouldn't start, when my Porsche wasn't big enough, and when my Escalade just wasn't efficient enough; my little Buick pulled through with flying colours. This car has gone everywhere and never let me down. I can afford any car under the sun but I refuse to give this one up do to the remarkable reliability and appreciation I have for it. You heard it here folks 600K+ miles and going very strong: just replaced original the AC Delco batt. last year, get 31mpg going 85, has decent pep, lovely ride, sure its not the most handsome car or most expensive but it has never-ever given me a days worth of trouble, I love it!

The ride is nice for long car journeys. It's by no means a sports coupe, but rather an interstate eater. The motor is extremely reliable, fuel efficient, and moves the car with ease (and occasionally when you really want to, it can gear down, snort, and surprisingly bolt off) This car is marvelous

Really for when it was new only paying about $20k for it, everything is very reasonable. Sure it has some vinyl interior trim, and some things aren't great, but its been an excellent and extraordinarily economical vehicle. The only trouble I've had with it is a failed water pump at 450K miles.

A/C problems
By Brad

1997 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I've owned a Century for 4 years. A year after purchasing it, through the present day, I've spend more than $1K trying to fix the A/C for good. I need A/C, because I live in south TX. Other than that, the car has been good to me. It glides over any surface of road like you were driving on clouds. It gets decent gas mileage for a 3.1 V6. The low fuel light likes to come on when there is still more than 6 gallons of gas in the tank.

The ride, sound system, power everything.

Cupholders for the front passengers, gas gauge

Dependability plus
By Bignorm

1997 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 10 years and still looks and drives great. Had to replace intake gasket and ABS module, $1,000 repairs a couple of years ago. Put on aftermarket wheels 6 yrs ago and Reggata II tires. Just had the car detailed. The cloth seats had picked up a couple cups of coffee. I had the seats pulled for thorough cleaning, pulled the carpet and cleaned, tefloned the outside. I like the good seating and do not like leather. The car looks and runs like new, looking to run it at least 2 more years. Consistant 20mpg back and forth to work in city traffic.

Nice ride, decent mileage and looks good as new models. At this vintage with no depreciation, what do you want. In a couple of years I can get a 2006.

Steering wheel is showing wear, the cup holder is broke. I have driven newer rental car models and I think these have been addressed. The electric windows are slow, probably tired motors. The Florida heat has caused the rubber to stick to the windows. A different window seal material would be good.