Used 1997 Buick Century Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Most Helpful|
Best first Car You Could Ask For
By aimerj

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

My first car and because of it, the only car I am ever willing to buy would be a buick! Owned for 4 years only went from 169,000 miles to 192,000. But worked no matter what! Had to replace battery when first buying, but nbd, previous owners treated car like crap. And my vehicle still held like a champ. When I bought it, no interior lights, and eventually then window motor went out so I sold it to a buddy, didn't feel like fixing it up. Had brakes replaced (my fault) Gas leak (hit something, my fault) and broke muffler (my fault.) otherwise no mechanical repairs needed, Most reliable. Oh and AC did work for first 3 years, but finally died out.

Good Car
By Marsheen

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car over a year now. Since I'am quite young and a maniac on a road, this car is takeing a beating every day. I make the engine of this car cry after its roaring and the car still drives good. I'm not sure but I might have felt a little power loss over the time but I might be wrong. So far the only thing that broke on it was my cup holder and two mottor windows, and the interior trim is not holding in few places, because I had a 1200 watt system put in and the plastic wasn't put on properly. I'm bored of this car now and I want a faster one, but if you're not planning to drive like an idiot than defenetly purchase one of these cars.

Favorite Features

The steroe I put in it :P

Suggested Improvements

My bass is makeing the trunk rattle, fix it buick!

A solid runner
By Lori

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for over 13 years and it continues to drive smoothly and quietly at 113,000 miles. While I've considered buying a new car, every time I drive my Century, I can't help but think why would I get rid of a good car like this? I've been in the cars of some of my family and friends which are much newer than my Buick, but they can't hold a candle to it in terms of the ride, quiet engine, pick- up and solid feel. It still looks good and the paint job and leather interior have both held up exceptionally well. What can I say, I love this car and will continue to drive it until a major repair is needed.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine, smooth comfortable ride, has strong pick-up when needed and gets great gas mileage - around 35 mpg on the highway and 25 mpg in the city. The factory sound system also continues to sound great.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder broke several years ago and have had some issues this past summer with only the 2 air conditioning vents on the passenger side of the car pouring out cool air.

great mid-size sedan for young family
By Mike U

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

Been great, despite perception of "old man's car". Haven't had any mechanical/electrical problems at all. Comfortable ride & front seating. Back seating (knee room) can be tight for adults/larger teenagers (it is a mid- size, not full-size, sedan). Good in snow. Handling is fine for everyday driving. Test drove Nissan Altima same day and there was a big difference going around curves in favor of the Nissan. Century had more rear headroom, softer seats.

Favorite Features

Dual zone climate controls, large displays & controls.

A/C problems
By Brad

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I've owned a Century for 4 years. A year after purchasing it, through the present day, I've spend more than $1K trying to fix the A/C for good. I need A/C, because I live in south TX. Other than that, the car has been good to me. It glides over any surface of road like you were driving on clouds. It gets decent gas mileage for a 3.1 V6. The low fuel light likes to come on when there is still more than 6 gallons of gas in the tank.

Favorite Features

The ride, sound system, power everything.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders for the front passengers, gas gauge