Used 1997 Buick Century Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

LOVED my Buick
By roxy0416

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Century for 7 years and my grandma had it long before that and it has been an incredible car. I just recently bought something else, and retired this one at 132,000 and it's still going! Sure, I've had to do some major repairs, but it's getting old. The car is incredibly durable. It can truly take anything. With good tires, it's perfect in snow. I've had my new car for 3 days, and already can tell it's not going to be nearly the car my Century was.

Some cons that made me buy a different car were that my driver's side window would not roll down anymore and my back defrost quit working. But as stated before, the car has gotten old and it has a lot of miles on it. It's still a great run engine wise.

No Bells or Whistles
By ScottieG

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this Buick against my style requirements out of cost and necessity. I have not a single complaint about this car from 35000 to 159000mi. It was not attractive but more than functional. I sold it to my sister to buy a Maxima and miss that Century in every way other than styling and pick up. Excellent, comfortable transportation that owed me nothing.

The seats were comfortable and it handled just fine. I wasn't trying to win any races but kept up with the best of them.

Most Reliable One Yet!
By BuickOwnerSince72

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Not all cars are built the same. But I've had Buicks for that past 37 years, all of them have been very dependable averaging 300K miles before I sold them after owning them brand new. BUT this one has been the best so far! I would have sold it years ago, but I'm driving more and more and just can't bare to part with it. 630k miles are on it now, only replacing the usual belts, hoses, spark plugs&wires, fluids, brakes, and tyres etc. No major mechanical defects of any kind! Plus if I keep my foot out of it upon acceleration, I get 26 in the city and 33 on the highway running 80. Its reliable too! I live in Maine and TN its never been garaged and always fires right up regardless of temperature

33 mpg. Rock Solid Reliability. Styling has aged well, its no beauty queen. but considering I've had it 14 years now it looks no different that the 2005 model which was the last Century. The comfort! Its supple without being marshmallowy. Its very civilized on the road and enough power for all needs

None really come to mind. Remember brand new this car only cost 17k dollars. Its not a Mercedes, but its been more places than others mercedes, and with LESS Trouble than any honda or toyota, I'm sure!

Built in America
By M Scoville

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Needed a car in a pinch and bought my Century not because a mechanic said it was OK but because it was a Buick. Times were bad and I bought it at one of those "We tote the Note" places. I haven't had one bit of trouble. At times on the highway I can get 38mpg but typically I get 22 in the city and 30 hwy. My car has 148,000 miles and starts in the cold of Iowa. This has a 3.1 engine-I was scared because it wasn't the 3.8 I found no difference at all.I want a new car so bad but this car is as good when I bought it. I even thought about looking for another 1997. This car had the same rating as the 1997 Lexus 400 and the maintenence is less expensive. I simply now say my car is a '97 LexusBuick. If you want more bling move up the Buick ladder. Safe for your children too.

I hated American paint job but the paint on my Century still shines like new.12 years old and people think the car is a 2004. I love the paint job-- this car is one of the best model of Buick that I have driven.I'm 45 driven a lot of different cars. Now I know why my grandfather always bought a Buick

Not one thing it is a great basic car that drives great and looks great.

600K+ miles still going strong
By Buickbuildquality

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I've owned this vehicle its whole life, and I can only say that when my Lexus wouldn't start, when my Porsche wasn't big enough, and when my Escalade just wasn't efficient enough; my little Buick pulled through with flying colours. This car has gone everywhere and never let me down. I can afford any car under the sun but I refuse to give this one up do to the remarkable reliability and appreciation I have for it. You heard it here folks 600K+ miles and going very strong: just replaced original the AC Delco batt. last year, get 31mpg going 85, has decent pep, lovely ride, sure its not the most handsome car or most expensive but it has never-ever given me a days worth of trouble, I love it!

The ride is nice for long car journeys. It's by no means a sports coupe, but rather an interstate eater. The motor is extremely reliable, fuel efficient, and moves the car with ease (and occasionally when you really want to, it can gear down, snort, and surprisingly bolt off) This car is marvelous

Really for when it was new only paying about $20k for it, everything is very reasonable. Sure it has some vinyl interior trim, and some things aren't great, but its been an excellent and extraordinarily economical vehicle. The only trouble I've had with it is a failed water pump at 450K miles.