1997 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
LOVED my Buick
By roxy0416 on 02/13/12 11:02 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Century for 7 years and my grandma had it long before that and it has been an incredible car. I just recently bought something else, and retired this one at 132,000 and it's still going! Sure, I've had to do some major repairs, but it's getting old. The car is incredibly durable. It can truly take anything. With good tires, it's perfect in snow. I've had my new car for 3 days, and already can tell it's not going to be nearly the car my Century was.

No Bells or Whistles
By ScottieG on 09/09/09 18:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this Buick against my style requirements out of cost and necessity. I have not a single complaint about this car from 35000 to 159000mi. It was not attractive but more than functional. I sold it to my sister to buy a Maxima and miss that Century in every way other than styling and pick up. Excellent, comfortable transportation that owed me nothing.

Most Reliable One Yet!
By BuickOwnerSince72 on 08/17/09 08:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Not all cars are built the same. But I've had Buicks for that past 37 years, all of them have been very dependable averaging 300K miles before I sold them after owning them brand new. BUT this one has been the best so far! I would have sold it years ago, but I'm driving more and more and just can't bare to part with it. 630k miles are on it now, only replacing the usual belts, hoses, spark plugs&wires, fluids, brakes, and tyres etc. No major mechanical defects of any kind! Plus if I keep my foot out of it upon acceleration, I get 26 in the city and 33 on the highway running 80. Its reliable too! I live in Maine and TN its never been garaged and always fires right up regardless of temperature

Built in America
By M Scoville on 02/18/09 15:33 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Needed a car in a pinch and bought my Century not because a mechanic said it was OK but because it was a Buick. Times were bad and I bought it at one of those "We tote the Note" places. I haven't had one bit of trouble. At times on the highway I can get 38mpg but typically I get 22 in the city and 30 hwy. My car has 148,000 miles and starts in the cold of Iowa. This has a 3.1 engine-I was scared because it wasn't the 3.8 I found no difference at all.I want a new car so bad but this car is as good when I bought it. I even thought about looking for another 1997. This car had the same rating as the 1997 Lexus 400 and the maintenence is less expensive. I simply now say my car is a '97 LexusBuick. If you want more bling move up the Buick ladder. Safe for your children too.

600K+ miles still going strong
By Buickbuildquality on 10/13/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I've owned this vehicle its whole life, and I can only say that when my Lexus wouldn't start, when my Porsche wasn't big enough, and when my Escalade just wasn't efficient enough; my little Buick pulled through with flying colours. This car has gone everywhere and never let me down. I can afford any car under the sun but I refuse to give this one up do to the remarkable reliability and appreciation I have for it. You heard it here folks 600K+ miles and going very strong: just replaced original the AC Delco batt. last year, get 31mpg going 85, has decent pep, lovely ride, sure its not the most handsome car or most expensive but it has never-ever given me a days worth of trouble, I love it!

Dependability plus
By Bignorm on 04/25/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 10 years and still looks and drives great. Had to replace intake gasket and ABS module, $1,000 repairs a couple of years ago. Put on aftermarket wheels 6 yrs ago and Reggata II tires. Just had the car detailed. The cloth seats had picked up a couple cups of coffee. I had the seats pulled for thorough cleaning, pulled the carpet and cleaned, tefloned the outside. I like the good seating and do not like leather. The car looks and runs like new, looking to run it at least 2 more years. Consistant 20mpg back and forth to work in city traffic.

Stans Report
By Stan on 01/24/08 18:39 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable, and very economical to operate. I now have 62284 original miles on it. I buy new ones when I reach 60000....This car delivers 35, yes 35 miles per gallon on the highway--really hard for me to believe also. It is in pristine condition. A good wash job is all that is needed to put her back on the showroom floor. The ride is very smooth, as it must be that special something Buick has done with its suspension.

average but lifesaving
By littledude30542 on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

My grandmother owned this car since new. She kept it flawless and super clean. The car was problomatic at first having an electrical faiulure . All the guages conked out but after that great. But december 2003 she was involved in an accident . She passed out and crashed through a red light but thankfully she survived ,but the car was totaled. But the car was not as bad shape as i thought it would be in .

the perfect vehicle
By wrolandlee on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

it just feels like heaven.......sort of speak.

97 Lesabre
By Bill on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Very dependable car. I have had no expence other than normal maintenance, gas, oil changes, tires. It gives a very comfortable ride, It keeps it's appearance well. I plan to keep this car several more years. Power and performance is every good. Nice car for family or mature person. Probably would not appeal to teens.