1997 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:
Best first Car You Could Ask For
By aimerj on 08/16/12 22:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

My first car and because of it, the only car I am ever willing to buy would be a buick! Owned for 4 years only went from 169,000 miles to 192,000. But worked no matter what! Had to replace battery when first buying, but nbd, previous owners treated car like crap. And my vehicle still held like a champ. When I bought it, no interior lights, and eventually then window motor went out so I sold it to a buddy, didn't feel like fixing it up. Had brakes replaced (my fault) Gas leak (hit something, my fault) and broke muffler (my fault.) otherwise no mechanical repairs needed, Most reliable. Oh and AC did work for first 3 years, but finally died out.

LOVED my Buick
By roxy0416 on 02/13/12 11:02 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Century for 7 years and my grandma had it long before that and it has been an incredible car. I just recently bought something else, and retired this one at 132,000 and it's still going! Sure, I've had to do some major repairs, but it's getting old. The car is incredibly durable. It can truly take anything. With good tires, it's perfect in snow. I've had my new car for 3 days, and already can tell it's not going to be nearly the car my Century was.

A solid runner
By Lori on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for over 13 years and it continues to drive smoothly and quietly at 113,000 miles. While I've considered buying a new car, every time I drive my Century, I can't help but think why would I get rid of a good car like this? I've been in the cars of some of my family and friends which are much newer than my Buick, but they can't hold a candle to it in terms of the ride, quiet engine, pick- up and solid feel. It still looks good and the paint job and leather interior have both held up exceptionally well. What can I say, I love this car and will continue to drive it until a major repair is needed.

Good Car
By Marsheen on 09/30/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car over a year now. Since I'am quite young and a maniac on a road, this car is takeing a beating every day. I make the engine of this car cry after its roaring and the car still drives good. I'm not sure but I might have felt a little power loss over the time but I might be wrong. So far the only thing that broke on it was my cup holder and two mottor windows, and the interior trim is not holding in few places, because I had a 1200 watt system put in and the plastic wasn't put on properly. I'm bored of this car now and I want a faster one, but if you're not planning to drive like an idiot than defenetly purchase one of these cars.

No Bells or Whistles
By ScottieG on 09/09/09 18:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this Buick against my style requirements out of cost and necessity. I have not a single complaint about this car from 35000 to 159000mi. It was not attractive but more than functional. I sold it to my sister to buy a Maxima and miss that Century in every way other than styling and pick up. Excellent, comfortable transportation that owed me nothing.

Most Reliable One Yet!
By BuickOwnerSince72 on 08/17/09 08:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Not all cars are built the same. But I've had Buicks for that past 37 years, all of them have been very dependable averaging 300K miles before I sold them after owning them brand new. BUT this one has been the best so far! I would have sold it years ago, but I'm driving more and more and just can't bare to part with it. 630k miles are on it now, only replacing the usual belts, hoses, spark plugs&wires, fluids, brakes, and tyres etc. No major mechanical defects of any kind! Plus if I keep my foot out of it upon acceleration, I get 26 in the city and 33 on the highway running 80. Its reliable too! I live in Maine and TN its never been garaged and always fires right up regardless of temperature

Built in America
By M Scoville on 02/18/09 15:33 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Needed a car in a pinch and bought my Century not because a mechanic said it was OK but because it was a Buick. Times were bad and I bought it at one of those "We tote the Note" places. I haven't had one bit of trouble. At times on the highway I can get 38mpg but typically I get 22 in the city and 30 hwy. My car has 148,000 miles and starts in the cold of Iowa. This has a 3.1 engine-I was scared because it wasn't the 3.8 I found no difference at all.I want a new car so bad but this car is as good when I bought it. I even thought about looking for another 1997. This car had the same rating as the 1997 Lexus 400 and the maintenence is less expensive. I simply now say my car is a '97 LexusBuick. If you want more bling move up the Buick ladder. Safe for your children too.

600K+ miles still going strong
By Buickbuildquality on 10/13/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I've owned this vehicle its whole life, and I can only say that when my Lexus wouldn't start, when my Porsche wasn't big enough, and when my Escalade just wasn't efficient enough; my little Buick pulled through with flying colours. This car has gone everywhere and never let me down. I can afford any car under the sun but I refuse to give this one up do to the remarkable reliability and appreciation I have for it. You heard it here folks 600K+ miles and going very strong: just replaced original the AC Delco batt. last year, get 31mpg going 85, has decent pep, lovely ride, sure its not the most handsome car or most expensive but it has never-ever given me a days worth of trouble, I love it!

A/C problems
By Brad on 08/19/08 21:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I've owned a Century for 4 years. A year after purchasing it, through the present day, I've spend more than $1K trying to fix the A/C for good. I need A/C, because I live in south TX. Other than that, the car has been good to me. It glides over any surface of road like you were driving on clouds. It gets decent gas mileage for a 3.1 V6. The low fuel light likes to come on when there is still more than 6 gallons of gas in the tank.

Dependability plus
By Bignorm on 04/25/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 10 years and still looks and drives great. Had to replace intake gasket and ABS module, $1,000 repairs a couple of years ago. Put on aftermarket wheels 6 yrs ago and Reggata II tires. Just had the car detailed. The cloth seats had picked up a couple cups of coffee. I had the seats pulled for thorough cleaning, pulled the carpet and cleaned, tefloned the outside. I like the good seating and do not like leather. The car looks and runs like new, looking to run it at least 2 more years. Consistant 20mpg back and forth to work in city traffic.