Used 1997 Buick Century Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

1997 Buick Century

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Best first Car You Could Ask For
By aimerj

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

My first car and because of it, the only car I am ever willing to buy would be a buick! Owned for 4 years only went from 169,000 miles to 192,000. But worked no matter what! Had to replace battery when first buying, but nbd, previous owners treated car like crap. And my vehicle still held like a champ. When I bought it, no interior lights, and eventually then window motor went out so I sold it to a buddy, didn't feel like fixing it up. Had brakes replaced (my fault) Gas leak (hit something, my fault) and broke muffler (my fault.) otherwise no mechanical repairs needed, Most reliable. Oh and AC did work for first 3 years, but finally died out.

LOVED my Buick
By roxy0416

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Century for 7 years and my grandma had it long before that and it has been an incredible car. I just recently bought something else, and retired this one at 132,000 and it's still going! Sure, I've had to do some major repairs, but it's getting old. The car is incredibly durable. It can truly take anything. With good tires, it's perfect in snow. I've had my new car for 3 days, and already can tell it's not going to be nearly the car my Century was.

Suggested Improvements

Some cons that made me buy a different car were that my driver's side window would not roll down anymore and my back defrost quit working. But as stated before, the car has gotten old and it has a lot of miles on it. It's still a great run engine wise.

A solid runner
By Lori

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for over 13 years and it continues to drive smoothly and quietly at 113,000 miles. While I've considered buying a new car, every time I drive my Century, I can't help but think why would I get rid of a good car like this? I've been in the cars of some of my family and friends which are much newer than my Buick, but they can't hold a candle to it in terms of the ride, quiet engine, pick- up and solid feel. It still looks good and the paint job and leather interior have both held up exceptionally well. What can I say, I love this car and will continue to drive it until a major repair is needed.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine, smooth comfortable ride, has strong pick-up when needed and gets great gas mileage - around 35 mpg on the highway and 25 mpg in the city. The factory sound system also continues to sound great.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder broke several years ago and have had some issues this past summer with only the 2 air conditioning vents on the passenger side of the car pouring out cool air.

Good Car
By Marsheen

1997 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car over a year now. Since I'am quite young and a maniac on a road, this car is takeing a beating every day. I make the engine of this car cry after its roaring and the car still drives good. I'm not sure but I might have felt a little power loss over the time but I might be wrong. So far the only thing that broke on it was my cup holder and two mottor windows, and the interior trim is not holding in few places, because I had a 1200 watt system put in and the plastic wasn't put on properly. I'm bored of this car now and I want a faster one, but if you're not planning to drive like an idiot than defenetly purchase one of these cars.

Favorite Features

The steroe I put in it :P

Suggested Improvements

My bass is makeing the trunk rattle, fix it buick!

No Bells or Whistles
By ScottieG

1997 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this Buick against my style requirements out of cost and necessity. I have not a single complaint about this car from 35000 to 159000mi. It was not attractive but more than functional. I sold it to my sister to buy a Maxima and miss that Century in every way other than styling and pick up. Excellent, comfortable transportation that owed me nothing.

Favorite Features

The seats were comfortable and it handled just fine. I wasn't trying to win any races but kept up with the best of them.