1996 Buick Century Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

1996 Century Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

my first car
By breazy love it baby

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

i read a comment about it not being good for a teenager its all how you look at it. I was 17 when I bought the car from my dad. at first I was hesitant. Then I fell in love. It was reliable, smooth to drive , and so comfortable. I think its all the way you look at it I don't want to say the car fit me but I fit my car. mine was a custom edition. Well I am not quite sure it said custom on the exterior, but on the dash it said limited so I loved it and I think no matter the age this car is perfect. sad story mine was stolen and everything was ruined the leather was torn engine, taken out the list goes on. Now I am on the search to own my champagne colored whip once again.."it's all krystalle"

Favorite Features

leather seats, and white stripe tires!

Suggested Improvements

I can't really think of any

So many still on the rooad
By Been Around

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Florida, drove it around the country, through snow, rain, sleet, desert... It has always been reliable. Recntly I parked in a parking lot in our SMALL town and there were five Buick Centuries, from !980's through 2000 models. Little things like power window failures go, I replaced struts, but with regular maintenance, these cars seem to run forever, get good gas mileage, and my giant dog can spread out in the backseat!

How old are you?
By boshsb

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Car is a good first car with outdated styling(they kept the body from the early 80s to mid 90s) and bad handling. Bad understeer tendency that is exaggerated by wet weather. I got the car at 90k and killed it around 115k. Stock struts are miserable and I killed a total of two front pair. Went through 8 tires on it (1sets rear, 3 front) until it finally died, the differential went out, but not before the rear window motors starred going (hence not my fault, the diff was). If you are good though, it can out handle a Civic due to its ability to power out of turns. It can do burnouts, drifts and anything else you make it do, but it will fight you all the way.

Favorite Features

GM 60 degree v6 (not a 3100 as someone above posted) is amazing. Ran without an oil change and air filter for close to 15k miles(regular cheap oil) and there was no performance difference and there was no difference in mileage, I got 18 running hard and 21-23 running "nice"

Suggested Improvements

Suspension needs redesign, dash is outdated and doesn't tell you enough, radio is old. Needs new modern conveniences.

This Century is nice
By Jayson

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is great. Extremely nice suspension, handles good, drives nice. Close to 200,000 miles and the engine and tranny are real good. Great cruise control. And the body is excellent also.

Favorite Features

That they kept it old school. My wife said the reason why it runs as good as it does is because Buick put the money in the quality of the overall excellent performance.

Suggested Improvements

Locks too quick. and better seat controls.

Great car ... until now!
By Kim

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

My car only has 50k miles on it - it has never left me stranded. We recently had an incident where it was in park, with engine running, in someone's driveway. After I got out of the car, it automatically locked and about 7 seconds later rolled forward on the uphill driveway. It hit a car in the driveway and a house. Upon impact of hitting the house it unlocked. My 2 children were in their carseats in the back seat when this happened. Mechanic finds absolutely nothing wrong with it. We have had no problems with it before this.

Favorite Features

I like the bench seats in front. Back seat has plenty of room for kids except when drivers seat is all the way back.

Suggested Improvements

Has been a great car!!

Best used car I have ever bought.
By Beatle412

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Works fine, had very low mileage when I purchased it and it has never left me stranded. I have had to replace a few routine things on the car, as with any car. I do notice a tendedncy for the 3.1 to have excessive noise. I was told that this is due to some of the rod lenth being off by thousandths of a second.

Favorite Features

Cruise control, Bench seats in front, Nice pick-up and smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Better design of the glove box, a way to overide the automatic locking mechanism.

My Lemon
By Century Special

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Since the day I bought the car brand new, I've had problems with it. The dealership did nothing but blame it on my tires. It has front end shimmy so bad, I can't keep tires on it. The window motor failed. The door lock broke. The intermitent windshield wipers were just that...intermitent. They worked when the felt like it. The heater died. The brakes had to be continually replaced. I have not one good thing to say about this car. Don't buy this car.

Grandpa likes gGandma's car
By russ

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Oned it for 9 yrs,no major problems,yet little plastic things like to break off like the slide buttons on the radio or the knob on the front seat adjust or the plastic handle on the emergency brake. B after nine years of use that can be expected...still runs good and that is the most important part

Favorite Features

The ride is smooth as silk

Suggested Improvements

GM plans to stop building this model

Solid reliabble ride
By triple J

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is hands down the best vehicle I have owned! It has never let me down, and the original engine & tranny have well over 100K miles. Fuel economy is not bad, especially considering the V6 power that the car has. In my opinion, GM's 3100 engine ranks right up there with the 3800 for the best engine GM has EVER made. Great car!

Favorite Features

smooth ride, plenty of power

Suggested Improvements

the automatic door locks are a little too quick for my liking

1996 buick century special great car
By sorrel

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

very dependable car smoothest ride imaginable for the money lots of convenient options amazing gas mileage- 30 mpg hwy !!!!

Favorite Features

cup holders stow in armrest until needed power seats on both sides are great

Suggested Improvements

automatic doorlocks are too quick to lock in my opinion