Used 1996 Buick Century Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

1996 Buick Century

View reviews for a specific Century model:

my first car
By breazy love it baby

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

i read a comment about it not being good for a teenager its all how you look at it. I was 17 when I bought the car from my dad. at first I was hesitant. Then I fell in love. It was reliable, smooth to drive , and so comfortable. I think its all the way you look at it I don't want to say the car fit me but I fit my car. mine was a custom edition. Well I am not quite sure it said custom on the exterior, but on the dash it said limited so I loved it and I think no matter the age this car is perfect. sad story mine was stolen and everything was ruined the leather was torn engine, taken out the list goes on. Now I am on the search to own my champagne colored whip once again.."it's all krystalle"

Favorite Features

leather seats, and white stripe tires!

Suggested Improvements

I can't really think of any

So many still on the rooad
By Been Around

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Florida, drove it around the country, through snow, rain, sleet, desert... It has always been reliable. Recntly I parked in a parking lot in our SMALL town and there were five Buick Centuries, from !980's through 2000 models. Little things like power window failures go, I replaced struts, but with regular maintenance, these cars seem to run forever, get good gas mileage, and my giant dog can spread out in the backseat!

How old are you?
By boshsb

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

Car is a good first car with outdated styling(they kept the body from the early 80s to mid 90s) and bad handling. Bad understeer tendency that is exaggerated by wet weather. I got the car at 90k and killed it around 115k. Stock struts are miserable and I killed a total of two front pair. Went through 8 tires on it (1sets rear, 3 front) until it finally died, the differential went out, but not before the rear window motors starred going (hence not my fault, the diff was). If you are good though, it can out handle a Civic due to its ability to power out of turns. It can do burnouts, drifts and anything else you make it do, but it will fight you all the way.

Favorite Features

GM 60 degree v6 (not a 3100 as someone above posted) is amazing. Ran without an oil change and air filter for close to 15k miles(regular cheap oil) and there was no performance difference and there was no difference in mileage, I got 18 running hard and 21-23 running "nice"

Suggested Improvements

Suspension needs redesign, dash is outdated and doesn't tell you enough, radio is old. Needs new modern conveniences.

This Century is nice
By Jayson

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

This car is great. Extremely nice suspension, handles good, drives nice. Close to 200,000 miles and the engine and tranny are real good. Great cruise control. And the body is excellent also.

Favorite Features

That they kept it old school. My wife said the reason why it runs as good as it does is because Buick put the money in the quality of the overall excellent performance.

Suggested Improvements

Locks too quick. and better seat controls.

Great car ... until now!
By Kim

1996 Buick Century 4dr Sedan

My car only has 50k miles on it - it has never left me stranded. We recently had an incident where it was in park, with engine running, in someone's driveway. After I got out of the car, it automatically locked and about 7 seconds later rolled forward on the uphill driveway. It hit a car in the driveway and a house. Upon impact of hitting the house it unlocked. My 2 children were in their carseats in the back seat when this happened. Mechanic finds absolutely nothing wrong with it. We have had no problems with it before this.

Favorite Features

I like the bench seats in front. Back seat has plenty of room for kids except when drivers seat is all the way back.

Suggested Improvements

Has been a great car!!