Used 1990 Buick Century Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

WOW!!
By buickman9290

1990 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I origanly had a 92 Buick Century 4 dr. I cracked the raidatior didn't know over heated it. Then everyone thought i blew it up but i ended up driving it for 8 1/2 months after wit a rod knocking it had 149670 on it when i let her go it was the best dependable car i had till that time. Then i bought a 1990 Buick century 4 dr custom it had the 3300. Got it back in feb. she had 139000 on her when i got it. She now has 147258 on her and ill be darn if i cant kill her. The power is great, handles like a dream, its all i have owend sience i was 16. the body is a lil rough on it but she is in great running condition. every thing on the motor is in great shape all working great the only thing i have

(cont) to replace is the harmonic balancer and routine mantince. its a good reliable car would rather take it out of town then my mothers 07 dodge caravan. over all car was a great deal for 200$. All features on it are cool.

window motors are weak other then that its a great car

Can,t let it go!
By bob

1990 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I purchased this in 2005 with 63000 miles for $1500( It had barely been out of the garage, old folks car ). I have put a total of $1000 into the car and it now has 142,000 miles. It gets 30mpg all the time and still doesn't burn a drop of oil. I go for 5,000 miles between oil changes. I have another good deal in the waiting but I am hesitant because I think this car has a lot of miles left on it( by the way it is a Buick ). This thing is the fantasy of why we buy new cars, that they will last forever. The car has the 3300 engine and if it sounds like a can't shut up then you are reading this message. I would recommend a Buick in a minute just for the engine reliability.

Just keeps going
By jjf

1990 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I was given this car 2 years ago as a full-time student. It looks like a broken down rust bucket, but keeps on driving. At 174,000 miles, I have no complaints about this vehicle. It breaks the stereotype of of poorly built GM cars. The engine is an unstoppable workhorse. Lots of rust, I have seen others around with the same faded beige and same rust spots. Fuel efficiency is not as good as the 29 mpg highway when it was new. Poor turn radius; sometimes difficult to park If this car doesn't rust away, I might get another 100,000 miles out of the engine. I would consider another Buick (even though it's an old man's car.)

luxurious seats, extreme reliability

cheap steel that rusts easily

Sweet ride
By wagon

1990 Buick Century Custom 4dr Wagon

This car has it all. Wood paneling design, classic tape deck/radio, cup holder arm rest, reverse seat in the back, spoiler, ski/luggage rack on top, power everything. Unbelievably reliable, nothing beyond basic maintenance for a 17 year old car (oil changes, just got new tires, occasionally topping off the fluids). Couldn't ask for more

Smooth handling, soft bench seats and the spoiler. Engine is very spread out and easy to find/maintain everything.

Replace the interior light with a disco ball. Other than that, none.

Not exactly a cream puff
By grandmaCar

1990 Buick Century Limited 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car from my Grandmother back in 2001. When I received it, it had 30,000 original miles. I was thinking great, "Great, I should be able to get 70,000 miles on this car without too much trouble." Boy was I wrong. I just sold it for 500 bucks, with 80,000 on the odometer. I just got sick of it after putting over $2000 maintenance dollars into it over past four years. Components just kept on breaking, like the AC parts, the radiator, a brake caliper siezed due to a poor brake hoses, the exhaust rusted, the transmission required a $300 repair, water pump, alternator, battery, crank angle sensor, ignition control module...the list goes on.

The actual engine seems strong...just every thing else is poor GM crap.

Better design and engineering. GM certainly has a long way to go to catch up with the Japanese. (I actually replaced the buick with a Civic which has more miles... 144k...but is much more reliable.