Used 2001 BMW Z8 Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw Z8 - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW Z8 Convertible

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (8 reviews )

They don't make them like this anymore
By twosmalltowns

2001 BMW Z8 Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is a fabulous car: exciting to drive, fels great. Just don't expect to get out of the gas station too quickly - people are always coming over to stare and chat. I have had people wave me down on the street to stop so they could photograph it. Awesome car.

Favorite Features

Stying, engine, performance.

Hottest car ever built
By boatracer81

2001 BMW Z8 Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is the hottest car on the road. I traded my porsche turbo for the Z8 and it is far superior. The car will smoke the tires off in 1st gear. It handles like a dream and everywhere I go people love it. The stereo is the best stock stereo I ever heard. It is very clean and clear at all volumes. It has an electric top which is great and a removable hard top. The V8 engine puts out just under 400hp and it feels like more. I recommend this car to any car guy as this is the ultimate sports car for the money. The real deal is behind the wheel - it's like a cross between the old Jaguar XKE V-12 and a Shelby roadster, only this is better. All I can say if you can find one, buy it.

Favorite Features

Looks great, drives like a dream. The stereo rocks and oh yeah the girls love it.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked some kind of ground effects kit or a rear spoiler.

BMW Z8
By Barry Knispel

2001 BMW Z8 Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The retro design is fantastic- The interior leathers are soft and always have that new car smell. The navigation map is small therefore the direction are only arrows and voice, this is ok but I happen to like a map on my nav. system The dashboard is also retro and great looking. The power is awesome for a 4.9L .The sound of the exhaust is low and second to none.

Favorite Features

Exterior design and neon lights

Suggested Improvements

None

impossible to give up
By uber ich

2001 BMW Z8 Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I think I'll keep this car forever! I am planning on getting a Vanquish and every time I drive it to the dealer for the trade-in, I turn around.

Favorite Features

when you start getting comfortable with the looks, just put the hard top on--it is like driving a completely different car.

Suggested Improvements

the hard top leaves some serious scratches on the rim of the chassy. no way to buff it out or prevent it.

Driver Heaven
By joneshume

2001 BMW Z8 Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is a most awesome machine, finely tuned, the penultimate BMW achievement. Comfortable interior belies the power under the hood. Don't make the mistake of pushing the "sport" button unless you're prepared for the extraordinary surge in power and control "freedom" that ensues. Don't get this vehicle (if you can find one) unless you don't mind constant attention and admiring looks from bystanders and other drivers.

Favorite Features

I love the retractable soft-top; it really looks very cool, and use of it (alternating with the hard top) essentially gives you 2 different vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle only gets 15 to 20 mpg the way I drive it, but I guess nothing is perfect! Also, it could have used a few more rear speakers for better sound system clarity and forcefulness.