The perfect roadster
By J. R. Leonard on
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
I took BMW Performance Center delivery of my 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i. That means that for four on-track hours BMW race drivers taught me how to explore safely the limits if a Z4 identical to the one I was purchasing. That experience and teaching has made my ownership much more pleasurable and rewarding than it ever could have been otherwise. I cannot recommend it too highly. The Z4 is a classic roadster and as such is completely at home on the country roads and Blue Ridge Parkway of my home state. The exhaust note is wonderful, nostalgic, echoing Healeys of old. The engine power is more than adequate and the driving experience, top up or top down, is immensely pleasurable. BMW got this car right!
Favorite Features
The driving experience is emotional and rewarding. This car is all about making the journey the object of interest. This is a powerful car with wonderful handling ultimately safeguarded by BMW's Dynamic Stability Control System which has allowed me to quite safely scare myself on several occasions.
Suggested Improvements
I would suggest more leg room. I am almost six feet tall and my seat is all the way to the back of it's track; yet the seat itself still has room left behind it. I suspect that drivers over six feet tall may find the driver's position cramped. I would extend that seat track rearward.