Dream, or Nightmare?
By Meffy on
2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
After my 08 Z4 was totaled by a teenager, I made the mistake of driving this car. This engine paired with the 7 speed transmission is the best drive-train I've ever driven, and that includes owning a Vette, Boxster, Jag XK, and my 08. My research showed an all-too-common complaint with the fuel pump failure and oil overheating. Knowing this, I still bought this car. I may regret it someday but unlike most modern muscle, this car gives you mega-power below 2K revs and keeps it through 5K with little or no turbo lag. Compare with the M3 which gives you almost nothing until you hit 4500 revs. The M3 may be the better track car, but I drive on the street. Nothing else can match this Z for daily use.
Favorite Features
I'm normally a manual transmission snob, but the 7 speed steptronic gets the most out of this willing engine. The experts show only .1 second faster to 60 with the 7, but to me it feels much stronger. Combine the White Alcantara with the Deep Sea Blue metallic and 18 inch (293's) and its show car slick.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability. I normally avoid turbos but I cant resist this one. Although the bad press allowed me to drive this $46K blue missile for a song, I can't enjoy it as much as I should, fearing the worst. I'll write back and change the rating if my fears are realized. Until then, get out of my way!