Used 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Dream, or Nightmare?
By Meffy

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After my 08 Z4 was totaled by a teenager, I made the mistake of driving this car. This engine paired with the 7 speed transmission is the best drive-train I've ever driven, and that includes owning a Vette, Boxster, Jag XK, and my 08. My research showed an all-too-common complaint with the fuel pump failure and oil overheating. Knowing this, I still bought this car. I may regret it someday but unlike most modern muscle, this car gives you mega-power below 2K revs and keeps it through 5K with little or no turbo lag. Compare with the M3 which gives you almost nothing until you hit 4500 revs. The M3 may be the better track car, but I drive on the street. Nothing else can match this Z for daily use.

Favorite Features

I'm normally a manual transmission snob, but the 7 speed steptronic gets the most out of this willing engine. The experts show only .1 second faster to 60 with the 7, but to me it feels much stronger. Combine the White Alcantara with the Deep Sea Blue metallic and 18 inch (293's) and its show car slick.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. I normally avoid turbos but I cant resist this one. Although the bad press allowed me to drive this $46K blue missile for a song, I can't enjoy it as much as I should, fearing the worst. I'll write back and change the rating if my fears are realized. Until then, get out of my way!

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS: Eye Catcher Plus!
By Criticfilm

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Always wanted a convertible, never enjoyed softtops. Always loved BMWs, owned a 325i, so I watched with anticipation when they released the new BMW Z4. The car is totally impractical, overpriced, but when my local dealer offered me a killer lease, $500/loaded SDrive35 and BMW finance also kicked in a rebate, I said,"You only live once." and drove off in my first convertible. The car is stunning, a true beauty in the Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Ivory White Nappa Leather, just like in the ads. I get looks and compliments constantly and I have only seen a red SD30 once on the road in the months I've owned it. In this economy, the car is rare eye-catcher. Anyone with a BMW knows, driving is #1.

Favorite Features

Handling, hardtop convertible, I have never liked the look or feel of softops! Great engine, acceleration, all the fun BMW stuff. The car is a piece of art, both in appearance and driving prowess. The hardtop lowers and closes quietly and quickly, I do it at lights all the time. A tiger on wheels!

Suggested Improvements

Storage area in center with small cupholders a real downside. Fit and finish looks nice, but some rattling from instrument cluster at high speeds. I only have 3,000 miles on the car, but I wish the doors would lock auto at higher speeds, comfort package should be standard. OVERPRICED at 61k!

Best car yet
By Kevin

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car for about two weeks and it has been a blast to drive around town. The power is endless, but it has a refined quality to it. The sound of the turbos when I drop the hammer is music to my ears. The car sits very low on the road with the sports package, but with the 19in wheels it feels like it's planted to the asphalt.

Favorite Features

Ipod integration with audio/nav system. Sophisticated and luxurious interior design that is more on par with an Audi than the typical BMW. The endless power and driving precision. Fun car that makes you feel like you're driving the Indy 500 every day.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with a standard alarm system. If this car gets stolen, I might just cry!

Simply Amazing
By Chris

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first roadster and I will say it exceeded my every expectation. Fast, great handling, and so on. People keep trying to compare this car to the Boxter, but BMW didn't try to compete with that car. The Z4 is an everyday car that also transforms to a sports convertible, they clearly went after the SLK. This car gets looks wherever it goes and you will feel like a rock star sporting this thing. Also, all the the safety features on this car will help keep you out of trouble, I should know it has already saved me.

Favorite Features

Wicked fast. This car will pulls at any speed and any rev level. Even over 100mph you can feel the car just wants to keep going. Truly impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Being a first gen car (yes completely a different car from prev z4) there are a few quirks with the top. I have only experienced it twice, but the top using the comfort access feature can be fickle.

Superb automobile
By Dan Rodda

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Only owned this car two days . I am blown away with it already. Had 06 Z4 thought I would never get rid of it. May not be the ultimate sports car but it is exactly what I want. Have had the supercharged hot rods already. This car is fast , classy, and quality built. The nappa white interior is awesome. Top impresses even my Mercedes buds! This is the first car I have owned in my 39 years of marriage my wife likes. What can I say?

Favorite Features

Power, looks, feel of the car in turns, and envious looks. I feel as if I am part of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Should have gone with upgrade sound system. Shifter hard to get used to so far.