Used 2009 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Dream, or Nightmare?
By Meffy

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After my 08 Z4 was totaled by a teenager, I made the mistake of driving this car. This engine paired with the 7 speed transmission is the best drive-train I've ever driven, and that includes owning a Vette, Boxster, Jag XK, and my 08. My research showed an all-too-common complaint with the fuel pump failure and oil overheating. Knowing this, I still bought this car. I may regret it someday but unlike most modern muscle, this car gives you mega-power below 2K revs and keeps it through 5K with little or no turbo lag. Compare with the M3 which gives you almost nothing until you hit 4500 revs. The M3 may be the better track car, but I drive on the street. Nothing else can match this Z for daily use.

Favorite Features

I'm normally a manual transmission snob, but the 7 speed steptronic gets the most out of this willing engine. The experts show only .1 second faster to 60 with the 7, but to me it feels much stronger. Combine the White Alcantara with the Deep Sea Blue metallic and 18 inch (293's) and its show car slick.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. I normally avoid turbos but I cant resist this one. Although the bad press allowed me to drive this $46K blue missile for a song, I can't enjoy it as much as I should, fearing the worst. I'll write back and change the rating if my fears are realized. Until then, get out of my way!

SO much fun!!
By BMW Addict

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive30i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just purchased the re-designed Z4. I have owned three Z4's, kept trying to talk myself into liking the previous version, to no avail. The new Z4 is a winner. The interior is roomier both in length and width, which is great for my 6' frame. The 3.0 has plenty of power. The only options I got were auto and heated seats. The body is rigid but not abusive when driving. Easily a commuter car. The styling is flawless - be prepared for people staring at you. If you can find an '09, grab it, BMW is giving a $5000 cash rebate if you finance. Mine had a sticker of $49k and I got it for $39,300!! Can't' wait for summer! I turned in a Lexus IS250 Vert - Lexus = fun to RIDE in, BMW = fun to DRIVE!!

Favorite Features

Hard top is tight, very quiet to drive. Standard Xenon's look great. Plenty of trunk space for a 2 seater. Overall design is stunning!

Suggested Improvements

Make satellite radio and the Through-loading system with integrated transport bag standard.

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS: Eye Catcher Plus!
By Criticfilm

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Always wanted a convertible, never enjoyed softtops. Always loved BMWs, owned a 325i, so I watched with anticipation when they released the new BMW Z4. The car is totally impractical, overpriced, but when my local dealer offered me a killer lease, $500/loaded SDrive35 and BMW finance also kicked in a rebate, I said,"You only live once." and drove off in my first convertible. The car is stunning, a true beauty in the Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Ivory White Nappa Leather, just like in the ads. I get looks and compliments constantly and I have only seen a red SD30 once on the road in the months I've owned it. In this economy, the car is rare eye-catcher. Anyone with a BMW knows, driving is #1.

Favorite Features

Handling, hardtop convertible, I have never liked the look or feel of softops! Great engine, acceleration, all the fun BMW stuff. The car is a piece of art, both in appearance and driving prowess. The hardtop lowers and closes quietly and quickly, I do it at lights all the time. A tiger on wheels!

Suggested Improvements

Storage area in center with small cupholders a real downside. Fit and finish looks nice, but some rattling from instrument cluster at high speeds. I only have 3,000 miles on the car, but I wish the doors would lock auto at higher speeds, comfort package should be standard. OVERPRICED at 61k!

Best car yet
By Kevin

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car for about two weeks and it has been a blast to drive around town. The power is endless, but it has a refined quality to it. The sound of the turbos when I drop the hammer is music to my ears. The car sits very low on the road with the sports package, but with the 19in wheels it feels like it's planted to the asphalt.

Favorite Features

Ipod integration with audio/nav system. Sophisticated and luxurious interior design that is more on par with an Audi than the typical BMW. The endless power and driving precision. Fun car that makes you feel like you're driving the Indy 500 every day.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with a standard alarm system. If this car gets stolen, I might just cry!

BMW Z4 instant classic
By Larry N

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive30i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Having loved my first roadster, a 2000 Z3 I was disappointed by the style changes with the first Z4. The 2009 Z4 brings back the beautiful lines with several improvements. The car fits like a glove, handles with incredible accuracy, and for the most part gives you the best of both a convertible and a comfortable sedan. This is my third roadster (also 2003 Boxster). Car came with sport shift paddles (I still don't get). Would have preferred a manual. The 3.0 automatic had plenty of power to match my driving style and I actually preferred to the 3.5. Bottom line, this is a gorgeous car that is a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Retractable hardtop, triple-blink turn indicator, convenience package (keyless entry/start), all maintenance covered during lease.

Suggested Improvements

Auto climate control a tad quirky, cupholders an afterthought. Minor points for an otherwise flawless beauty.