Used 2007 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW Z4 Convertible

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Most enjoyable car I've owned
By aquila163

2007 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. I got my 07 Z4 Si on a 2 year lease. After 18 months I had a lot of miles left because I also owned my last Corvette and can only drive so much. My wife and I took a 2100 mile road trip to Disney World to use up some miles. When we got back, I sold the Vette and bought this car off lease. I now have just over 4 years in the car and now that the original warranty has expired I have made an extensive search for a replacement. I CAN'T find anything I like better so I'm keeping it. It gets over 30 mpg on the highway and the sports car ride is tight but never abusive. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a genuine sports car.

Favorite Features

Exceptional handling, Braking that surprises people behind me, Very good fuel economy, Better than expected ride for this type of car.

Suggested Improvements

I don't mind paying extra for dealer installed options like 6 disc CD and sirius but they should not cost $950 each when much cheaper cars include them free

Love my car
By Fastcar

2007 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'm having the time of my life driving this car. I'm a short (5'3") female and this is the first car that I feel I really fit in. It looks fabulous, drives great and has provided the best driving experience I've ever had. I've taken it on 2 road trips (one 500 miles, and the other 700 miles) and was amazed at how my back didn't hurt after. My only heart burn is the large lease payment that I make every month.... other than that it's great!

Favorite Features

The exterior - I really love the automatic soft top. The heated seats aren't too shabby either. What the heck - I love the whole car!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Good Looks, Terrible Ride
By DCDoc

2007 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. Although the car is a head turner, I am anxiously counting the days until my lease is over and I can turn this horrible car back to the dealership. German suspensions are wonderful for flawless German roads, but unfortunately, the suspension is way, way too stiff for flawed American roads. The ride is HORRIBLE. I feel every bump in the road. The seats are poorly padded and after a half hour in the car I am ready to get out of it ASAP. Sadly, I took it from Washington DC to New York and by the time I got to my destination I wanted to leave it on the side of the road. That was the last road trip for it, now only use it because it is small and easy to park.

Favorite Features

Small and easy to park in the city.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is horrible. The suspension is way too stiff. The seats are not padded enough and not movable enough. After an hour my legs begin to cramp because I cannot move them properly.

Roadster
By Bijan

2007 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car, love the styling; straight-six sounds great and the manual gearbox is super-smooth. Love the seating position, as well as the interior space with the easy-folding top up. Very nice to drive, the car is very communicative and gives you lots of confidence, brakes are amazing and stop the car with little drama. My only complaint is with the interior build-quality. The one-piece door panels are great, but the steering column is tilted, a cup holder is broken (I don't even use them) and the transmission tunnel plastic trim squeaks when you rest your arm on it. Besides that, everything you touch is of high-quality and just driving it takes your mind off its few squabbles.

Favorite Features

Sport button that lessens the assist for the steering and allows for great road feel as well as a more sensitive throttle. 50.1/49.9 weight distribution. Revolutionary design and classic roadster proportions.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build-quality for base models.

What I expected
By Retired & loving it

2007 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a retirement present present to myself (curiously, I see a lot of guys (mostly) my age driving these cars!). I have thoroughly enjoyed driving for short hops. I have taken 3 trips of 500 miles and this is not the car for it. The RFTs amplify the bumps on bad roads, and we all know what I-95 can be like. Other than that, it is so much fun to drive and cornering is a terrific experience. I have the 6-speed manual and wouldn't consider the automatic - that would just be wrong in a sports car.

Favorite Features

Auto top, especially being able to lower it with the key fob - what a hit that has been at the senior center!

Suggested Improvements

Seat memory buttons are hard to find in the dark. The trunk release on the key fob needs to be more sensitive. Sometimes, when I raise the windows go after raising the top, they automatically go back down. I have had to lower and re-raise the top to get them to stay up.