2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love my car
By Fastcar

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'm having the time of my life driving this car. I'm a short (5'3") female and this is the first car that I feel I really fit in. It looks fabulous, drives great and has provided the best driving experience I've ever had. I've taken it on 2 road trips (one 500 miles, and the other 700 miles) and was amazed at how my back didn't hurt after. My only heart burn is the large lease payment that I make every month.... other than that it's great!

Favorite Features

The exterior - I really love the automatic soft top. The heated seats aren't too shabby either. What the heck - I love the whole car!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Good Looks, Terrible Ride
By DCDoc

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. Although the car is a head turner, I am anxiously counting the days until my lease is over and I can turn this horrible car back to the dealership. German suspensions are wonderful for flawless German roads, but unfortunately, the suspension is way, way too stiff for flawed American roads. The ride is HORRIBLE. I feel every bump in the road. The seats are poorly padded and after a half hour in the car I am ready to get out of it ASAP. Sadly, I took it from Washington DC to New York and by the time I got to my destination I wanted to leave it on the side of the road. That was the last road trip for it, now only use it because it is small and easy to park.

Favorite Features

Small and easy to park in the city.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is horrible. The suspension is way too stiff. The seats are not padded enough and not movable enough. After an hour my legs begin to cramp because I cannot move them properly.

Roadster
By Bijan

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car, love the styling; straight-six sounds great and the manual gearbox is super-smooth. Love the seating position, as well as the interior space with the easy-folding top up. Very nice to drive, the car is very communicative and gives you lots of confidence, brakes are amazing and stop the car with little drama. My only complaint is with the interior build-quality. The one-piece door panels are great, but the steering column is tilted, a cup holder is broken (I don't even use them) and the transmission tunnel plastic trim squeaks when you rest your arm on it. Besides that, everything you touch is of high-quality and just driving it takes your mind off its few squabbles.

Favorite Features

Sport button that lessens the assist for the steering and allows for great road feel as well as a more sensitive throttle. 50.1/49.9 weight distribution. Revolutionary design and classic roadster proportions.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build-quality for base models.

What I expected
By Retired & loving it

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a retirement present present to myself (curiously, I see a lot of guys (mostly) my age driving these cars!). I have thoroughly enjoyed driving for short hops. I have taken 3 trips of 500 miles and this is not the car for it. The RFTs amplify the bumps on bad roads, and we all know what I-95 can be like. Other than that, it is so much fun to drive and cornering is a terrific experience. I have the 6-speed manual and wouldn't consider the automatic - that would just be wrong in a sports car.

Favorite Features

Auto top, especially being able to lower it with the key fob - what a hit that has been at the senior center!

Suggested Improvements

Seat memory buttons are hard to find in the dark. The trunk release on the key fob needs to be more sensitive. Sometimes, when I raise the windows go after raising the top, they automatically go back down. I have had to lower and re-raise the top to get them to stay up.

Instant, incredible fun
By Fred

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nothing like completely changing a day as to hop into the Z and spring off into the night. Incredible driving experience and am lucky to have many windy roads to enjoy. Fun, fun, fun!

Favorite Features

Handling, electronic controls, automatic soft top. Amazing coolness.

Suggested Improvements

None

Want to have fun? Drive this!
By Joe

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased mine certified used with 11000 miles on it. Very fun to drive! Looks fast, is fast. I rarely used to put the windows down in my old cars, but with this car I put the windows and top down every chance I get! I get many compliments on it--it is simply a sharp looking car and turns plenty of heads. I love how Z4s are not as widely popular as, say, a 3-series and that was a big reason why I purchased mine. If you're looking to buy, seriously consider the metallic silver color with premium package. With the sharp angles of the body styling, silver looks beautiful!

Favorite Features

Great sound system, high mileage (25 in city!), low and smooth engine tone, smooth shifting, consistent acceleration from 0-90mph, responsive handling, killer body styling, and it is fun to drive!!

Suggested Improvements

Low-end power increase, make the electronic steering less sensitive (very noticeable at low speeds), blind spots, object alert (long and low front end--can hit curbs easily if you're not used to it), cup holders stink, little storage space.

2007 BMW Z4
By JerefromYorbaLinda

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I wanted a little excitement in my life and this car really does the trick. It's so much fun to drive, I hate to get out of it. I leased the 3.0 convertible w/automatic trans and premium pkg. Punch this baby and you're on a roll. This car turns heads everywhere I go. It looks fast, it is fast, and it sticks to the road like glue.

Favorite Features

Great stereo, great acceleration and the MPG is outstanding at 26+. I love being able to put the top up/ or down in 20 seconds. It's a rocket on a roller skate. Also a little secret - no maintenance costs for 4 years/50K miles!

Suggested Improvements

It has a rattle with the top up that drives me nuts. For a new car this shouldn't be there. The suspension is stiff but that's to be expected for this type of car. You might not want to drive across country in it.

Worth looking into
By DagaLasVegas

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a definite good buy. I have leased this 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i and so far I have been satisfied. The overall perfomance is great but one thing I would rather have is front wheel drive instead of rear because it affects driving in rain. Since I live in Las Vegas the rain is not an often issue, but when it actually rains I have to watch out and drive carefully on turns. Gas mileage is rather typical for 3.0. Interior design is not what I have expected and this is my biggest disappointment. It really looks cheap maybe because I am used to Audi's unusual design but still this is not so good for a BMW.

Favorite Features

Definite best part about this car is its overall exterior design. The way it sits low adds a certain look to it and it makes it more sexy.

Suggested Improvements

Interior interior interior. Dear BMW, focus on interior. It does not absolutely match the car. If a hint is needed, get some ideas from Audi.