2006 BMW Z4 Consumer Review: Z4 Coupe - A True Sports Car

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback - Consumer Review

Z4 Coupe - A True Sports Car from BMW
By blacktalon on

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When I saw the photos of the Z4 Coupe concept at the Geneva Motor Show, I knew that if its performance lived up to its style, I wanted one. I've been car shopping on and off for the last couple years -- and seriously since last November. I've test driven the Boxster, S2000, 350Z, G35 Coupe, RX-8, and even a Mustang GT. All fine cars, but none of them exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a fast, nimble, two-seater hardtop sports car that was equally fun when you floored the accelerator as when you took it through the twisties. The fact that the Z4 Coupe was drop-dead gorgeous sealed the deal. I've owned it for a month, and I love it. It's everything I thought it would be.

The 3.0 liter I6 combines decent low-end torque with great high-end power. Can't wait until the break-in period is over and I can take it to the redline. Handling is fantastic - very nimble, very responsive. Exterior styling is stunningly beautiful. Interior styling is sleek and modern.

Ride comfort is acceptable for a sports car, but I've heard that switching to non run-flat tires improves both the ride (less stiff) and the handling (reduced rolling mass) -- so I'm planning to switch. Rear visibility is better than I expected, but still somewhat limited.