2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great Sports Car!
By GC

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We leased our BMW Z4 3.0i to be able to afford it, but not sure we would lease again. Leasing does get you in the car, but nothing to show for it when the lease runs out. BMW does make things easy to lease but will find out in August how the transition goes- buy or re-lease something else. Would love to buy it. Love the car!

Favorite Features

Love the styling, handling, and easy to operate convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

The dash is very boring and not well equipped with the latest stereo electronics. Can't even tell what track the CD is playing. And not a good option if you want to add a 6 disc changer. Our Mazda RX-8 had room to include an in-dash CD, why not the Z4?

Bang for the Buck!
By Z Dog

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had been looking at getting a small sports car for a while. Looked at the Boxster, Corvette, Audi TT, and the BMW. I loved the Z4 for the unique design. Once I drove it, I was hooked. I paid $30k for this gem. Silver on Black. Great for normal day to day, then just push the "sport" button and... she becomes a whole new car. Throttle response, steering and overall power seems to explode! Its like an alter ego. I drove the M roadster and it is just a Freak! The 3.0si is a dream for much less. Anyone who complains about the trunk space or the rigid ride should have chosen otherwise. Take a shorter trip, pack a smaller bag, and use your buddies truck to go to home depot. Great Car!

Favorite Features

Great handling and power. Quick drop down top, no waiting. Great heater so there is no excuse to not have the top down, even in winter. Striking design. Great Wheels. ( don't worry about the run flats, they are expensive, but worth the safety)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. Fantastic for the money.

Z4 3.0si
By z3toz4

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had my Z3 for twelve years, finally bought a Certified Z4. Be very careful with Certified, even though BMW has fixed all the problems that have come up, mine has been in the shop for MAJOR suspension and engine problems. It has been in the shop 20 of the 60 days I have owned it. Not what I expected from a BMW Certified car. Now that I think I am past the problems this car had, I really am enjoying driving it! Much smoother, powerful ride than Z3.

Favorite Features

Style, handling, WOW factor, Ipod connector and integrated use with steering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

Would like better fuel economy and some type of option for a spare tire if desired.

Fun on wheels
By Mikenmass

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

With today's prices it's hard not to consider an upscale model car. The styling is great but the engine and handling is what is special about a Z4. You probably need alternative transportation for the family or pets but a ride in a roadster will always be a treat.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, styling.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer

Bavarian beauty
By 2006 BMW Z4i

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have only owned this car for 5 months and love it. Previous car was a 1998 Porsche 911, while the Z4 cannot compare to the 911 in performance it comes very close and cost a lot less in purchase price and maint. cost. I also think it is a better looking car. I have gotten more looks and compliments then I did with the 911.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance, reasonable gas mileage 25 mpg avg. and ergonomics

Suggested Improvements

I think the z4 should come standard with 255hp, it would then be much closer to the Nissan 370Z and the 911

Can't Go Wrong With a Bimmer
By Bimmer4Life

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car just a couple months ago with 9,900 miles on it. Always loved the 3 series but fell in love with the Z and I got a good price, too and previous owner paid for all the options [wood dash, power seats/convertible top, HID headlights]. I get looks everywhere I go, and the front styling resembles a 6-series I suppose. Acceleration is best at higher speeds, that's where it really shines. I wish it had more accessible low-end power, but you can't have everything. I average about 25 mpg, but when in traffic that number plummets. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with this Bimmer.

Favorite Features

Unique exterior styling, space-saving pop-in cupholders, large trunk space, steering wheel mounted stereo controls, fast power convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

Better weight distribution. It's so front heavy that any slope change or even going over reflectors will send the car veering off the side. My only complaint about the car.

Two years waiting for this car
By gary

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Two years ago I was driving a 07 PRHT Miata. Test drove a Z4 auto; loved it but couldn't afford it. This spring I traded my Miata Roadster for a 03 Z4 with auto transmission. My wife and I took it on a 4600 mile spring road trip to the northwest all in 10 days. Loved every turn, downshift, and gas stop. I auto crossed it during the summer months with great pleasure. My brother in law came to town in his pick-up and we found a 05 Z4 for him to take home. Wife and great grand kids were out riding on the week-end in her Mercedes Benz and just stopped to see if the 330ci was the same size has hers. Saw the Z4, could not believe the mileage! Of course I really wanted a 6spd.

Sexy, Sleek and Fun to Drive!
By Lisa

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When I went to the BMW dealer, I saw this car and fell in love. After the test drive it was an obsession. It handles like it is on rails, it thrills at every turn. It is one hot car and I consistently get 25.5 miles per gallon hwy and city. It is a headturner and it backs up its looks. It is like a motorcycle with a cage around it. It is that ultimate driving experience every time you step into it. It looks as if it chiseled in marble. To me a work of art. Me and this car were made for each other. I recommend it. Great sports car.

Favorite Features

Outward appearance, acceleration and cornering, stereo system, trunk. Comfort of leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholders, standard windscreen.

From a Z-3 To a Z-4
By K-Bone

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well i went from a z-3 to a z-4 miss the curves and the shark gills on the side, but love the power cornering one touch roof and better sound system then the z3.Cup holders in a great spot,not in way of stick shift. Larger trunk,can fit golf clubs and small cooler in this one. They also put a glass window in this one instead of the ole plastic one. Great lighting one the front light up the road also. Owned a 2003 Boxster also at one time and this is less of a money out of pocket kind of car also.

Favorite Features

Great sound and pick up. Good sound system,bluetooth system works better then my solo headset, headlights really light up the road and nice driving lights, gas mileage is kind on the pocket also. One touch roof fabulous.

Suggested Improvements

Could have come with security system instead of a pricey add on. A quicker door unlock response from the key chain.6 disc changer would be nice also even if in trunk like z-3 was.

My Toy
By Bob

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I finally bought a 3rd car for our family. I have always wanted a convertible sports car. After a lot of test driving and research, we decided to purchase a used 2006 with 8,000 miles on it from the certified lot at our local BMW store. We have absolutely no regrets!! I had my heart set on a Porsche Boxster, but after test driving the Z4 I was sold. We have had it for over a year and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in. Strong acceleration, handling, and comfort. I even drove it 487 miles in one day with the top down and loved every minute of it!!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, styling, and handling. Solid straight forward interior design, just right for a rag top.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio display and iPod jack (standard), hard to see with the sun shining in. A little more power. I know I should have purchased the 3.0si.