Used 2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw Z4 - Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (8 reviews )

3 Years Later
By Garhuff

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback 3.0si 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I ordered this car after seeing it at the Autoshow, even though I was only able to test drive the convertible. I took delivery of it at the factory, and I have loved it ever since. I still get a thrill when I see it parked in the lot. I constantly get 'thumbs ups', wherever I drive it.

Favorite Features

The stance of this coupe. It's a hot car. The handling and breaking are amazing. I drive rental cars for my work, which can be scary when you are used to driving this car.

Suggested Improvements

The center console storage is a little awkward... could use a tray of some sort to keep things from moving around. This is a very minor complaint, but there's little else to gripe about.

Awesome Car
By Garhuff

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback 3.0si 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car because I loved the styling and two years later, I still get excited every time I drive it. I still get stopped by people asking me questions about it frequently. I picked this instead of the Porsche Cayman and I've never regretted it.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling. The drive. I never thought this would matter to me, but I do enjoy the attention it brings.

Suggested Improvements

Homelink wasn't available on the 2006 model, but they fixed that in later models. Other than that, the car's pretty much perfect.

Nothing more fun to drive
By eastofeden

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback 3.0si 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is amazing in terms of overall styling and quality. This model looks like BMW designed the coupe first and then sliced the top off to make the convertible. There aren't many of the coupes around so if you like to have an unusual car that performs well, this is it. I've had mine for 7 months and have never seen another one on the road.

Favorite Features

It couldn't be more fun to drive, and it looks great from any angle.

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel drive has some obvious limitations when driving in ice and snow. It sits very low, so if you are tall, be prepared. Remote lock/unlock is not cooperative.

What a ride!
By bcubed

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback 3.0si 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am very critical when it comes to my taste in sports cars. My Z4 coupe is without a doubt, the best sports car that I have ever owned. The car does what it is designed to do - be driven! Some reviews suggest a harsh ride and limited visibility due to the coupe's distinctly low profile. For a driving enthusiast, these are attributes, not faults. The build quality is on par with other vehicles in its class, and the smile this thing puts on my face every time I turn the key is priceless.

Favorite Features

Bold and eye catching design in spite of the mixed automotive press reviews. Cabin is nicely appointed for the driving enthusiast. The ride is firm, but not too hard. Acceleration is terrific (even compared to the G35 coupe that I owned previously).

Suggested Improvements

Better ergonomic placement of shoulder harness. Access to CD changer is not DIY friendly. This car is not for the timid, it takes patience to master proper clutch timing.

Z4 Coupe 3.0si... so far, so good
By BS06NOVA

2006 BMW Z4 Hatchback 3.0si 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I followed this vehicle since the X Coupe Concept unveiling in Jan '01 and loved the look the moment I saw it. Previously owned a '00 Z3 M Coupe (S52 engine) and would rate the Z4 similarly but with welcome upgrades in chassis stiffness and cabin noise reduction. I-6 is inherently smooth, mechanically sophisticated, and refined but not sleep-inducing. Much better than the M3's S54 which I found to be rough, unappealingly raspy, and difficult to drive smoothly in traffic. Materials quality and fit and finish is fine but doesn't approach VW/Audi. Great steering feel and response. Somewhat heavy but appropriate clutch and shifting.

Favorite Features

Engine performance and refinement is stunning (second only to Porsche) and it's the main reason you buy a BMW. Steering feel and response provides superb cornering and handling. Stereo sound is fairly good, but probably not best in class.

Suggested Improvements

Ingress/egress is somewhat awkward but perhaps part of owning a small, low- slung sports coupe. M-Sport seats are a little narrow and thinly padded even for a skinny guy. Make in-dash CD a six-disc unit; add SD card capability. Door map pockets are so inadequately shallow, why bother?