Used 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw Z4 - Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

3.0i Sport Package - dream car!
By solarus

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am still in shock after I purchased the 2006 Z4 3.0i fully loaded with winter, comfort and sport packages for around $20,000 with 50k miles on it. I simply would have to search for a reason why buy anything else - including new, newer, or different model sport cars. With a push of a button this thing performs as if it had turbo or supercharged engine. The interior, though not Jaguar comfortable, hugs you tightly and holds you in one place to enjoy the show. Super tight sport suspension can take almost any corner at mind boggling speeds you can throw at it. Ditch the "run-flat" tires. Buy whatever you want at Tirerack.com for less than $500 and your car's shoes are back in order.

Favorite Features

Sport button, M-seats, 6-speed manual tranny, luxurious burlwood trim, premium sound system, smell of leather all over the car, HUGE 6-cylinder inline engine with a mean growl every time you step on gas pedal.

Suggested Improvements

Stop, absolutely stop referencing "BMW certified repair centers" in your documentation. A huge number of maintenance and repair tasks can be performed by any mechanic with brains. This is the main reason why mediocre part replacements during regularly scheduled maintenance intervals cost $600++, while a competent owner can actually do most of this stuff him/herself or have his/her greasemonkey do it!!! Seriously - if you want to learn to replace an air filter (with mediocre IQ), just Google it!!!

Dream Car
By Joel H

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car since October 2009. Bought it used with 36k. When I purchased it the channel changer on the stereo was not working. It was still under warranty. The dealership replaced the stereo with a new one. Other minor issues including front brake rotors occurred and the BMW dealership took care of them all at NO CHARGE. The warranty is the best. The car handles like a dream. It certainly is a head turner. I had a minor accident because of a blind spot when you look back to back up . I love this car. It handles like a dream and the dual steptronic transmission is terrific. I am a BMW customer for life. The customer support and service is the best I have dealt with.

Favorite Features

The synthetic top, BMW service, handling, power, and the sleek look!

Suggested Improvements

As with the other comments, the location of the cup holder stinks and the blind spots when trying to change lanes or back up.

Fun -- Fun -- Fun -- in the Sun
By funits

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car with 17,000 miles. The car is amazing to look at, never mind amazing to drive. Fast, confident and gorgeous come to mind. Or as a friend said after riding in the car, "I couldn't stop smiling"! The interior is comfortable and well laid-out. The MPG is incredible -- I'm averaging 28-28 MPG (low of 25, high of 32.2). I did replace the OEM run-flat tires with regular tires and the ride quality improved 100% with no loss of handling and improved wet road handling. My car is still under warranty and the few issues that needed to be fixed where taken care of by the dealer no problem, even though I'm the 2nd owner. Drawbacks: it is a little challenging to get in and out of!

Favorite Features

The look of the car, the premium pkg, the sport pkg., power top, killer stereo, bi-xenon lights, heated seats, silky smooth 6-speed, halo lights, great available space in the trunk with top up or down.

Suggested Improvements

Either improve the ride quality of run- flat tires or replace with regular tires. Wish I had an 6-disc in dash CD. Wish they'd invent an option to keep the dust off the car.

Nice but not for me
By Midlifemom

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this Z4 two years ago and only drive it 6000 miles a year. The seats are uncomfortable despite their quality, and the shifter/armrest arrangement causes one to slurp to the right while driving- ends up uncomfortable. Vision is not good on Left. Wonderful car, so very beautiful, but harsh on the highway with run flats. Runs like the wind, hits 100 right away. Chippy in the tracks on the interstate, enormous blind spot, not easy to back up. Just not comfortable enough for a daily driver or frequent driver. Reliability superb, but I have to crawl out of it. When I saw it, I simply had to have it, then never drove it much and it just sat in the garage. Nice, but think twice.

Favorite Features

Wood grain dash, cream leather seats, heated seats on when the top is down on a cool spring or fall day. Nice power- snick the gears and go any speed you wish. Nice gearing- nicely spaced and nice feel to shifter- solid, crisp, no wiggling, gears exactly where one expects. A jet without wings.

Suggested Improvements

Widen the rear window to allow a peak over one's left shoulder for changing lanes. Allow seats to come up one inch. Allow arm rest to come up one inch. Bigger external mirrors. Get rid of dreadful run flats, figure out a spare donut. Rattles behind seat, make lower front end dam soft plastic.

Fun in the sun!
By Johnny D

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this black with red leather interior CPO Z4 three months ago with 39k on the odo and the car is as tight as any new car I have owned. I love the looks and the engine is smooth and responsive. Nothing except some prescription medications can change a bad mood into a good mood faster than this car. The stereo sounds awesome top up or down, but could use a changer. I love the way heads turn every where I drive, it is definitely an attention getter. I love the sound of the engine but wish it was a little louder.

Favorite Features

Engine, fit and finish, mirror like paint.

Suggested Improvements

The person who designed the cup holders should be fired, they are in the perfect place for spilling coffee into your lap when hitting a bump during a left turn. Glove box is useless and needs someplace to store cd's that is easy to access, the visors are much too thin for cd holders.