Used 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Totally Fun Driving
By Jeff Brann

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am a big man at 6'3" and 260 lb with arthritis and that is why I am letting this car go. It is very difficult for me getting in/out of the very low seats with the top up. Once I am in it is reasonably comfortable around town but again on a long drive leg cramps became an issue. I have loved owning and driving this car though because once I am in the seat I feel in total control of the driving experience. The car has exceptional performance if you use the gears correctly and can easily get to 100+ just entering an on ramp. Brakes are superb (typical BMW) and the six speed tranny shifts flawlessly and seems to know your exact movement when shifting. I have never missed a shift. I have changed the oil per the factory recommendation and the battery a couple of times. There have been no other problems other than a flat tire. I replaced the run flats with a performance tire that can be repaired and love the way they hold the road as well as improving the ride. The only drawback to these tires is that I do not have a spare. Oh well.....

3.0i Sport Package - dream car!
By solarus

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am still in shock after I purchased the 2006 Z4 3.0i fully loaded with winter, comfort and sport packages for around $20,000 with 50k miles on it.
I simply would have to search for a reason why buy anything else - including new, newer, or different model sport cars.

With a push of a button this thing performs as if it had turbo or supercharged engine.

The interior, though not Jaguar comfortable, hugs you tightly and holds you in one place to enjoy the show.

Super tight sport suspension can take almost any corner at mind boggling speeds you can throw at it.

Ditch the "run-flat" tires.
Buy whatever you want at Tirerack.com for less than $500 and your car's shoes are back in order.

Sport button, M-seats, 6-speed manual tranny, luxurious burlwood trim, premium sound system, smell of leather all over the car, HUGE 6-cylinder inline engine with a mean growl every time you step on gas pedal.

Stop, absolutely stop referencing "BMW certified repair centers" in your documentation. A huge number of maintenance and repair tasks can be performed by any mechanic with brains. This is the main reason why mediocre part replacements during regularly scheduled maintenance intervals cost $600++, while a competent owner can actually do most of this stuff him/herself or have his/her greasemonkey do it!!! Seriously - if you want to learn to replace an air filter (with mediocre IQ), just Google it!!!

Dream Car
By Joel H

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car since October 2009. Bought it used with 36k. When I purchased it the channel changer on the stereo was not working. It was still under warranty. The dealership replaced the stereo with a new one. Other minor issues including front brake rotors occurred and the BMW dealership took care of them all at NO CHARGE. The warranty is the best. The car handles like a dream. It certainly is a head turner. I had a minor accident because of a blind spot when you look back to back up . I love this car. It handles like a dream and the dual steptronic transmission is terrific. I am a BMW customer for life. The customer support and service is the best I have dealt with.

The synthetic top, BMW service, handling, power, and the sleek look!

As with the other comments, the location of the cup holder stinks and the blind spots when trying to change lanes or back up.

Fun -- Fun -- Fun -- in the Sun
By funits

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car with 17,000 miles. The car is amazing to look at, never mind amazing to drive. Fast, confident and gorgeous come to mind. Or as a friend said after riding in the car, "I couldn't stop smiling"! The interior is comfortable and well laid-out. The MPG is incredible -- I'm averaging 28-28 MPG (low of 25, high of 32.2). I did replace the OEM run-flat tires with regular tires and the ride quality improved 100% with no loss of handling and improved wet road handling. My car is still under warranty and the few issues that needed to be fixed where taken care of by the dealer no problem, even though I'm the 2nd owner. Drawbacks: it is a little challenging to get in and out of!

The look of the car, the premium pkg, the sport pkg., power top, killer stereo, bi-xenon lights, heated seats, silky smooth 6-speed, halo lights, great available space in the trunk with top up or down.

Either improve the ride quality of run- flat tires or replace with regular tires. Wish I had an 6-disc in dash CD. Wish they'd invent an option to keep the dust off the car.

Nice but not for me
By Midlifemom

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this Z4 two years ago and only drive it 6000 miles a year. The seats are uncomfortable despite their quality, and the shifter/armrest arrangement causes one to slurp to the right while driving- ends up uncomfortable. Vision is not good on Left. Wonderful car, so very beautiful, but harsh on the highway with run flats. Runs like the wind, hits 100 right away. Chippy in the tracks on the interstate, enormous blind spot, not easy to back up. Just not comfortable enough for a daily driver or frequent driver. Reliability superb, but I have to crawl out of it. When I saw it, I simply had to have it, then never drove it much and it just sat in the garage. Nice, but think twice.

Wood grain dash, cream leather seats, heated seats on when the top is down on a cool spring or fall day. Nice power- snick the gears and go any speed you wish. Nice gearing- nicely spaced and nice feel to shifter- solid, crisp, no wiggling, gears exactly where one expects. A jet without wings.

Widen the rear window to allow a peak over one's left shoulder for changing lanes. Allow seats to come up one inch. Allow arm rest to come up one inch. Bigger external mirrors. Get rid of dreadful run flats, figure out a spare donut. Rattles behind seat, make lower front end dam soft plastic.