My red Z4
By Joe Wilson on
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
The car is my daily driver. I love the ease of the manual roof. Opens and closes in one quick motion, can close it at 40 mph (do this when it rains). Smooth engine and excellent 5 speed is addictive. Good torque. Unbelievable handling. Good ride. Phenomenal standard stereo. Get heated seats (my only option). Had a few problems but BMW fixed them. A hoot to drive with the stability control off. Winter traction excellent if you buy winter tires (mine are Hankook), but snow and ice traction is terrible on stock tires. Recently drove new S2000 and Solstice; both very nice. I like the feel of the BMW. Nothing compares. Buy the standard transmission and engine is my advice.
Favorite Features
Smooth engine and Tranny feel, no doubt. The top open and close system is exceptionally good. This car has a large trunk (golf clubs no problem). Roof latching is ingenious. Also, with top up, a quiet convertible. Thick multi layered insulated top is second to no other car. Superb stereo!!
Suggested Improvements
Ditch the electric steering, make it hydraulic. That is my only dislike on the car. Put 18" wheels on the car like the Solstice comes standard with. Make the bluetooth over radio a standard. Put an mp3 player jack in the car. Seat backs should be cloth to reduce noise at certain adjustments