Used 2005 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

My red Z4
By Joe Wilson

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is my daily driver. I love the ease of the manual roof. Opens and closes in one quick motion, can close it at 40 mph (do this when it rains). Smooth engine and excellent 5 speed is addictive. Good torque. Unbelievable handling. Good ride. Phenomenal standard stereo. Get heated seats (my only option). Had a few problems but BMW fixed them. A hoot to drive with the stability control off. Winter traction excellent if you buy winter tires (mine are Hankook), but snow and ice traction is terrible on stock tires. Recently drove new S2000 and Solstice; both very nice. I like the feel of the BMW. Nothing compares. Buy the standard transmission and engine is my advice.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine and Tranny feel, no doubt. The top open and close system is exceptionally good. This car has a large trunk (golf clubs no problem). Roof latching is ingenious. Also, with top up, a quiet convertible. Thick multi layered insulated top is second to no other car. Superb stereo!!

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the electric steering, make it hydraulic. That is my only dislike on the car. Put 18" wheels on the car like the Solstice comes standard with. Make the bluetooth over radio a standard. Put an mp3 player jack in the car. Seat backs should be cloth to reduce noise at certain adjustments

Z4
By jon

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

the car is fun to drive with impressive performance and excellent fuel economy. I'm 6'4" and 240lbs, and have all the room I could ask for. the car is comfortable for me on long trips, and I have no tendency to "kink up"

Favorite Features

I like the style, the ease with which everything operates and is in reach, and the security features (both anti theft and the bmw assist).

Suggested Improvements

a power lumbar adjustment would be nice

Jim's viewpoint.
By Jim Mercon

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a roadster. At 55, I finally decided to quit talking about it and just do it. It's been going on a year of ownership and I must say.....this is one awesome automobile. Everytime I drive it...it's a transformation. The car is beautiful. It handles great! It's been totally reliable with zero problems. It turns heads. My daughter loves to drive it. Two of my friends bought one. It's been a blast.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the option to shift and use the gears the way they were intended to be used. It's been a way to take advantage of the engines performance as well as the cars overall handling performance.

Suggested Improvements

Takes bumps in the road hard. I'm not sure if you can soften the blows when hitting small pot hots or bumps.

Over 40 Club
By bobbyr35

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Ok, we have had the Z4 for seven months. It has been driven in the USA and we brought it to Germany in November 2005. My wife drives it to and from Frankfurt every four days on A3, so for the two hour and 20 minute trip four times per week it is being driven at 120 mph on average. Too bad it is a US Specs. Bimmer...

Favorite Features

Handles very well at speeds up to 130 mph. Standard audio system is the best (10 speakers!!!). Little noise inside at high speed and even with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not so good, but not an issue. Had to have the right rear light assembly replaced. leaked water and fried the stereo amp and battery compartment. No cost to us.

great fun
By Tim Farrell

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I took a road trip this summer through the Rockies and the car was a gas to drive. Very responsive, comfortable for long runs and very quick. Too bad there aren't many places to open it up.

Favorite Features

It is much larger and more comfortable than it looks from the outside. My friends tell me it looks like it is moving fast when it is sitting still, due to the body styling.

Suggested Improvements

None I love it.