Used 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

A Class Apart
By fasteddie

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I tested a number of convertibles under $35K before buying the Z4 but none came close to the value and performance of the BMW. The Z4, even with the smaller 2.5 liter engine, is an impressive performer. It has a strong power curve in gears 3-5 and plenty of torque in 1st and 2nd. The Z4 is plenty fast, but if you want to run with the big boys, get the 3.0 liter and the six speed. The cornering and handling is very good but a notch below more serious sports cars like the Boxster. You will fall in love with the sound of the exhaust. My only complaint is the noticeable electronic steering assist at low speed. You can buy a one year old low mileage Z4 fully loaded for the low $30s!

Favorite Features

Power top, self dimming mirrors, Xenon headlights and a stereo whose volume increases with the speed of the car. What a hoot! Very comfortable seating with height adjustment for short people!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the electronic assist steering.

Love it!
By Jannet

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Z4! It handles extremely well in the rain. It's a great looking car inside and out. I leased it but am planning to buy it because I can not be without my Z. :)

Favorite Features

The silver chrome inside.

Suggested Improvements

More room inside.

My red Z4
By Joe Wilson

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is my daily driver. I love the ease of the manual roof. Opens and closes in one quick motion, can close it at 40 mph (do this when it rains). Smooth engine and excellent 5 speed is addictive. Good torque. Unbelievable handling. Good ride. Phenomenal standard stereo. Get heated seats (my only option). Had a few problems but BMW fixed them. A hoot to drive with the stability control off. Winter traction excellent if you buy winter tires (mine are Hankook), but snow and ice traction is terrible on stock tires. Recently drove new S2000 and Solstice; both very nice. I like the feel of the BMW. Nothing compares. Buy the standard transmission and engine is my advice.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine and Tranny feel, no doubt. The top open and close system is exceptionally good. This car has a large trunk (golf clubs no problem). Roof latching is ingenious. Also, with top up, a quiet convertible. Thick multi layered insulated top is second to no other car. Superb stereo!!

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the electric steering, make it hydraulic. That is my only dislike on the car. Put 18" wheels on the car like the Solstice comes standard with. Make the bluetooth over radio a standard. Put an mp3 player jack in the car. Seat backs should be cloth to reduce noise at certain adjustments

Jim's viewpoint.
By Jim Mercon

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a roadster. At 55, I finally decided to quit talking about it and just do it. It's been going on a year of ownership and I must say.....this is one awesome automobile. Everytime I drive it...it's a transformation. The car is beautiful. It handles great! It's been totally reliable with zero problems. It turns heads. My daughter loves to drive it. Two of my friends bought one. It's been a blast.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the option to shift and use the gears the way they were intended to be used. It's been a way to take advantage of the engines performance as well as the cars overall handling performance.

Suggested Improvements

Takes bumps in the road hard. I'm not sure if you can soften the blows when hitting small pot hots or bumps.

Over 40 Club
By bobbyr35

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Ok, we have had the Z4 for seven months. It has been driven in the USA and we brought it to Germany in November 2005. My wife drives it to and from Frankfurt every four days on A3, so for the two hour and 20 minute trip four times per week it is being driven at 120 mph on average. Too bad it is a US Specs. Bimmer...

Favorite Features

Handles very well at speeds up to 130 mph. Standard audio system is the best (10 speakers!!!). Little noise inside at high speed and even with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not so good, but not an issue. Had to have the right rear light assembly replaced. leaked water and fried the stereo amp and battery compartment. No cost to us.