2005 BMW Z4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
Love My Merlot Roadster!
By kgmilliron on 09/12/08 17:35 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've waited 40 years for this narcissistic NOT a "mom" car and was debating b/w the mercedes slk and the Z4. I could not be happier with my choice! Fun to drive, had it a week and its great! I was worried about road noise compared to the hard top SLK, but there was very little difference. We replaced the run flat tires immediately and it made a huge difference in the "comfort" of the ride. BMW service is unsurpassed and the style is unbeatable. For the price and reliability I give it a "10". If you're on the fence, commit, it's worth it! The power top is a must!

rear ended after owning car for 4 days
By Jeanne S on 08/10/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For the short time I had this car before being rear-ended, I loved it. If you ever have the misfortune of being hit (3 times before she stopped) from behind by someone doing 45 mph, know that this car is definitely well-engineered. I walked away from the accident with only whiplash. It could have been much worse had I still been driving the miata mx5 I owned previously. Fun to drive, I just hope I can look at it the same way after I get it repaired.

Two years plus
By George Warren on 05/18/08 08:47 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being a master diesel mechanic for at a Freightliner truck dealership for close to thirty years I believe I am a fair judge of quality. I have really enjoyed this car for over two years. When you get off work there is nothing better than jumping into your Z4, dropping the top and hitting the road. I have owned many new cars but this is the only one that is as much fun to drive now as it was when I bought it! If there was anything I would change I would redesign the drink holders as they spill hot coffee on your leg on turns, the seats should have higher side bolsters so you don`t slide around so much on turns. And get the Xenon lights which was the only option I didn't get. BMW - great car!

Driving has never been this fun!!
By Mike Smith on 04/01/08 04:36 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun it puts a huge smile on my face every day! Fantastic blend of power and elegance. Economical too, I have consistently gotten 27 MPG with mostly highway driving. This car has a sporty ride but absorbs the bumps well, despite the 18" alloys that come with the sport package. You must have the sports package, the standard 17" rims make the whole car look bland. The red leather interior is gorgeous. No reliability problems whatsoever. No rattles or electrical issues. The upgraded sound system is awesome. The trunk space is good, even with the top down! You can easily fit two suitcases in there, or a couple sets of golf clubs. Buy this car, you won't regret it!

Performance, economy & reliability!
By Don Durant on 11/23/07 15:27 PM (PST)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned lots of foreign cars & sporty cars, but never a BMW before & if the Z4 is indicative of all BMWs, I'm a convert. In 42,000 miles, the care has only been in the shop for regular maintenance (FREE!) & that's only about every 15,000 miles. The Z4 is hands down the most practical sports car I've owned. Combined fuel economy is 25.5 mpg. The original tires lasted 40,000 miles. I'm 6'2" & it's comfortable, even for long trips. I drive lots on 2 lane country roads & the passing power is excellent. The Steptronic transmission is fun or easy & I love the sport drive feature. My next car will definitely be a BMW if this one ever wears out!

Too many problems
By Jishnu Kinwar on 06/26/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is good performance wise, fast, fuel economy better than expected. But it is not reliable and poorly built. Had problems with the retractable hood, steering wheel jammed, side windows not going down, memory reset all with in 18 months of ownership. Even today, sometimes when I close a window it goes all the way up and then comes down and one has to repeat several times before it shuts. After filing a formal complaint no action was taken by BMW. I have paid a lot of money for the car and at least expected a formal apology. Will never buy another BMW.

A Class Apart
By fasteddie on 01/12/07 18:12 PM (PST)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I tested a number of convertibles under $35K before buying the Z4 but none came close to the value and performance of the BMW. The Z4, even with the smaller 2.5 liter engine, is an impressive performer. It has a strong power curve in gears 3-5 and plenty of torque in 1st and 2nd. The Z4 is plenty fast, but if you want to run with the big boys, get the 3.0 liter and the six speed. The cornering and handling is very good but a notch below more serious sports cars like the Boxster. You will fall in love with the sound of the exhaust. My only complaint is the noticeable electronic steering assist at low speed. You can buy a one year old low mileage Z4 fully loaded for the low $30s!

Love it!
By Jannet on 07/15/06 04:28 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Z4! It handles extremely well in the rain. It's a great looking car inside and out. I leased it but am planning to buy it because I can not be without my Z. :)

A real value
By Desert Fox on 06/03/06 08:54 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

There's little I would change or request. Just wish they would refine the lines on the back like they did in front!

My red Z4
By Joe Wilson on 05/09/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is my daily driver. I love the ease of the manual roof. Opens and closes in one quick motion, can close it at 40 mph (do this when it rains). Smooth engine and excellent 5 speed is addictive. Good torque. Unbelievable handling. Good ride. Phenomenal standard stereo. Get heated seats (my only option). Had a few problems but BMW fixed them. A hoot to drive with the stability control off. Winter traction excellent if you buy winter tires (mine are Hankook), but snow and ice traction is terrible on stock tires. Recently drove new S2000 and Solstice; both very nice. I like the feel of the BMW. Nothing compares. Buy the standard transmission and engine is my advice.