Used 2005 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Starship Enterprise for the road
By Induscreed

2005 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is my first BMW having had an 07 Mustang prior to this purchase. This car is a dream to drive with me looking for an excuse to drive the car wherever I can. It handles like it's on rails. It looks like no other BMW and easily turns heads. It's driving at its purest unadulterated form with a chassis that flatters your senses.

Favorite Features

Power top, steering feedback, pretty much everything.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holder (which is a joke), bigger glove box.

The Civilized (and legal) go-kart
By Rajan

2005 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second car (and first BMW). Good God....I just realized what I've been missing. I moved to this car from an 07 Mustang. The acceleration is blistering and the car handles like it's on rails. To make it more insane, just initiate the Sport button and it goes like stink. This is driving in its purest unadulterated form which convinces me why BMW's are the ultimate driving machine. I used to take the metro in to work everyday however after getting the car, I drive in just because it brings a huge smile to my face and is the perfect anti-dote to a hectic day and NO I'm not exaggerating. It looks fantastic and flatters you. So much for getting a bike.

Favorite Features

The low seating position just by the rear wheels. The feedback on the steering wheel, the roadster experience. Top-up or down, you are driving a pure sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a joke. Going over a pothole can bring the fear of God in you (which means... always keep an eye on the road).

Ultimate driving machine
By Frank

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car may have the best design of any convertible on the market. BMW is not known for interior bells and whistles, so creature comforts are sparse but they make up for the lack with exceptional performance and safety. Great trunk room for the size of vehicle, better than stated mileage (31mpg hwy) and once you're in, quite comfortable. Entering and exiting requires a bit of agility but it's a sports car. The 3.0 probably has all the pep ever needed for this size vehicle. The 2.5, that I have is quite functional, just not quite as nimble as the styling dictates but very adequate. Traded a Miata and what a step up. This car fees much more substantial than its size and I love the styling!

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, feel, trunk size, ease of raising and lowering top, quietness relative to other roadsters, mileage, integrated rollbars. The quality at used car pricing is exceptional. I'll have this one or one like it as long as I'm able to maneuver in and out of it.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, a little more interior refinement, easier access to console storage, lumbar support.

Only 2.0L but still a lot of fun
By Rene

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I went for the 2.0L rather than 3.0L (the in between 2.5L made no sense to me) because it is a long term car so running costs are important. The lighter engine means this is the best handling car I have ever driven. I can blast round beds, be they sharp corners or sweepers at speeds that make my hair tingle. I used to race stock cars and have had a Morgan +8 - the Zed 4 is better. Blasted across Germany at 90-120mph and got 41 miles per gallon. I live in London and still get 30mpg. I love the looks (pre-facelift) and always stare at the car when leaving it. Driving does not get much better.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, miles per gallon, the power roof, everything - more smiles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the run flats - I did and got a new car with much better ride!

First Bimmer
By babyjoe

2005 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I thought a Harley would satisfy my craving for a "fun" vehicle. It didn't. Few months after selling it, I found myself looking at the Miata. Drove one and immediately decided nope. Next found myself looking at the Z4. I absolutely love the styling. Knew nothing about them. Saw a Merlot 05 and fell in love. Drove my first BMW a couple of days later and knew I was hooked. Well I bought an 05 Merlot and haven't looked back. Best car in the galaxy. Fun, fun, fun and it does turn heads. Gas mileage ensures the fact this was a great decision. Need to change out the run flats and need warmer weather then the fun begins again. You gotta try one of these if you don't do anything else with your life!

Favorite Features

Scary performance with terrific gas mileage. Looks and style. Lots of bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

A little easier getting in and out of with the top up.