2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

My First BMW
By manhunter2

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After a considerable amount of research, I purchased my first BMW about six weeks ago, a Maldives Blue over Beige, 2005 Z4 2.5i roadster with only 13,400 miles. I also have a 1977 MGB; guess I really like roadsters. After looking for a Z3M for a reasonable price, I turned my attention to the Z4. The reviews on the Z4 were, for the most part, glowing and I can say that this is the funnest car to drive I have ever owned. The power - even with the 2.5, is impressive, but its ability to stick to the road, its handling and its looks make it a winner in my book. It's a lot of fun to drive and to look at!

Favorite Features

Handling - The electric-assisted steering is very positive and precise, with input and output feel similar to that of an older light aircraft. Although many don't like the stiffer ride of the run-flat tires, the adhesion to the road and positive control they deliver is, to me, worth the stiffer ride. Looks - It looks like a modern, stylish sports car! Lots of looks and compliments. Value - An incredibly good-looking, fun car to drive at a reasonable price; and it's a BMW. Power top - Thus far, completely trouble free, quick and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I've had to have done on my Z4 thus far is to replace the amplifier, which is in a compartment beneath the trunk next to the battery. The amplifier in my car corroded due to a leaking battery, but many others have failed due to water leaking into the trunk compartment; as far as I can tell, the only frequently-occurring design flaw/shortcoming in the car.

Driving the dream
By marvin holmes

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first z4 and so far I love driving it. I find my self taking the long way to the stores just to enjoy the drive. I love its sleek, compact and agile performance. People keep telling me I should have traded at 40k but I think I am going to keep it well over 200,000 mile and maybe then some. I call my z4 my mini me.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.

Z4 is a blast!
By Z4eeaahh

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Wow! The Z4 is pure driving excitement! The vehicle has opened up the world of weekend roadtrips for me, but instead of using the GPS, I find myself reading a map to determine an alternate route to my destination. The highways are fun, but the Z4 really shines on the back roads. Some words that come to mind to describe this vehicle are; responsive, tight, nimble, classy, smooth and deceivingly quick. Do not expect a luxury ride from the Z4, but expect to feel the road. It is a performance vehicle. That being said, I am 6'2" and once in the vehicle I am quite comfortable, even on long road trips. I am guaranteed a smile every time I take my Z4 for a drive. :-)

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission is smooth and forgiving. Surprisingly adequate trunk space, even w/ the top down. Automatic convertible top. Xenon lights seriously improve night time driving visibility.

Suggested Improvements

With the convertible top up, you will make full use of the side mirrors for side & rear visibility.

WOW
By RXZ4

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

WOW and to think we waited over three years to finally find and purchase our dream machine. 05 with 22K, CPO and extended maintenance plan, and fully loaded. The tires are pretty sensitive to less than perfect roads and you'll find yourself driving with two hands on the wheel. We actually like the cup holders and the radio rocks!

Favorite Features

Power, MPG/fun, cockpit room, one touch windows and power top.

Suggested Improvements

Need more storage compartments in the cockpit. Home link system should be standard.

Highly recommend!
By Paul in San Diego

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased this car new in 05 and it has been outstanding. Not a single thing has gone wrong in 40k miles, it gets 32+ mpg on the freeway and combined mileage is 25-26 -- all much higher than estimated! The free services have been great too.

Favorite Features

The power top is fast and easy. There is more room in the trunk than you'd expect for suitcases or groceries. A full set of golf clubs fits too. Two sets if not too oversized. Small, so easy to park and really fast to wash and wax. Glad we got both sport and premium packages.

Suggested Improvements

Have to be ready for a bumpy, sports car ride -- you really feel the road with the low profile tires. Fit and finish could have been better -- gaps between some body panels is a bit to wide. Standard stereo should be better quality.

Starship Enterprise for the road
By Induscreed

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is my first BMW having had an 07 Mustang prior to this purchase. This car is a dream to drive with me looking for an excuse to drive the car wherever I can. It handles like it's on rails. It looks like no other BMW and easily turns heads. It's driving at its purest unadulterated form with a chassis that flatters your senses.

Favorite Features

Power top, steering feedback, pretty much everything.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holder (which is a joke), bigger glove box.

The Civilized (and legal) go-kart
By Rajan

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second car (and first BMW). Good God....I just realized what I've been missing. I moved to this car from an 07 Mustang. The acceleration is blistering and the car handles like it's on rails. To make it more insane, just initiate the Sport button and it goes like stink. This is driving in its purest unadulterated form which convinces me why BMW's are the ultimate driving machine. I used to take the metro in to work everyday however after getting the car, I drive in just because it brings a huge smile to my face and is the perfect anti-dote to a hectic day and NO I'm not exaggerating. It looks fantastic and flatters you. So much for getting a bike.

Favorite Features

The low seating position just by the rear wheels. The feedback on the steering wheel, the roadster experience. Top-up or down, you are driving a pure sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a joke. Going over a pothole can bring the fear of God in you (which means... always keep an eye on the road).

Ultimate driving machine
By Frank

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car may have the best design of any convertible on the market. BMW is not known for interior bells and whistles, so creature comforts are sparse but they make up for the lack with exceptional performance and safety. Great trunk room for the size of vehicle, better than stated mileage (31mpg hwy) and once you're in, quite comfortable. Entering and exiting requires a bit of agility but it's a sports car. The 3.0 probably has all the pep ever needed for this size vehicle. The 2.5, that I have is quite functional, just not quite as nimble as the styling dictates but very adequate. Traded a Miata and what a step up. This car fees much more substantial than its size and I love the styling!

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, feel, trunk size, ease of raising and lowering top, quietness relative to other roadsters, mileage, integrated rollbars. The quality at used car pricing is exceptional. I'll have this one or one like it as long as I'm able to maneuver in and out of it.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, a little more interior refinement, easier access to console storage, lumbar support.

Only 2.0L but still a lot of fun
By Rene

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I went for the 2.0L rather than 3.0L (the in between 2.5L made no sense to me) because it is a long term car so running costs are important. The lighter engine means this is the best handling car I have ever driven. I can blast round beds, be they sharp corners or sweepers at speeds that make my hair tingle. I used to race stock cars and have had a Morgan +8 - the Zed 4 is better. Blasted across Germany at 90-120mph and got 41 miles per gallon. I live in London and still get 30mpg. I love the looks (pre-facelift) and always stare at the car when leaving it. Driving does not get much better.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, miles per gallon, the power roof, everything - more smiles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the run flats - I did and got a new car with much better ride!

First Bimmer
By babyjoe

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I thought a Harley would satisfy my craving for a "fun" vehicle. It didn't. Few months after selling it, I found myself looking at the Miata. Drove one and immediately decided nope. Next found myself looking at the Z4. I absolutely love the styling. Knew nothing about them. Saw a Merlot 05 and fell in love. Drove my first BMW a couple of days later and knew I was hooked. Well I bought an 05 Merlot and haven't looked back. Best car in the galaxy. Fun, fun, fun and it does turn heads. Gas mileage ensures the fact this was a great decision. Need to change out the run flats and need warmer weather then the fun begins again. You gotta try one of these if you don't do anything else with your life!

Favorite Features

Scary performance with terrific gas mileage. Looks and style. Lots of bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

A little easier getting in and out of with the top up.