2005 BMW Z4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
Driving the dream
By marvin holmes on 07/25/10 00:13 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first z4 and so far I love driving it. I find my self taking the long way to the stores just to enjoy the drive. I love its sleek, compact and agile performance. People keep telling me I should have traded at 40k but I think I am going to keep it well over 200,000 mile and maybe then some. I call my z4 my mini me.

Highly recommend!
By Paul in San Diego on 10/14/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased this car new in 05 and it has been outstanding. Not a single thing has gone wrong in 40k miles, it gets 32+ mpg on the freeway and combined mileage is 25-26 -- all much higher than estimated! The free services have been great too.

Ultimate driving machine
By Frank on 05/18/09 11:57 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car may have the best design of any convertible on the market. BMW is not known for interior bells and whistles, so creature comforts are sparse but they make up for the lack with exceptional performance and safety. Great trunk room for the size of vehicle, better than stated mileage (31mpg hwy) and once you're in, quite comfortable. Entering and exiting requires a bit of agility but it's a sports car. The 3.0 probably has all the pep ever needed for this size vehicle. The 2.5, that I have is quite functional, just not quite as nimble as the styling dictates but very adequate. Traded a Miata and what a step up. This car fees much more substantial than its size and I love the styling!

Only 2.0L but still a lot of fun
By Rene on 04/04/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I went for the 2.0L rather than 3.0L (the in between 2.5L made no sense to me) because it is a long term car so running costs are important. The lighter engine means this is the best handling car I have ever driven. I can blast round beds, be they sharp corners or sweepers at speeds that make my hair tingle. I used to race stock cars and have had a Morgan +8 - the Zed 4 is better. Blasted across Germany at 90-120mph and got 41 miles per gallon. I live in London and still get 30mpg. I love the looks (pre-facelift) and always stare at the car when leaving it. Driving does not get much better.

This car is a Gift
By Dustin on 11/28/08 10:54 AM (PST)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just came back from driving this car from Montreal to California and back with my 12 year old son. I logged 10000 miles without a problem except worn rear wheels and a nail, the red light came on telling me I had a flat, nice feature, but not a problem with runflat, drove 10 miles to a garage that could fix it. It was a dream to drive on route 1 of the California coast and through the Arizona Desert. This was a trip of lifetime, and lots of room in the trunk for 2 people on a month long trip, really, well summer time in the heat, not many pants to take space, packed light, but lots of room, I would drive 12 hours straight, not sore at all no need to stop and 'stretch'. fun great car!!!

Love My Merlot Roadster!
By kgmilliron on 09/12/08 17:35 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've waited 40 years for this narcissistic NOT a "mom" car and was debating b/w the mercedes slk and the Z4. I could not be happier with my choice! Fun to drive, had it a week and its great! I was worried about road noise compared to the hard top SLK, but there was very little difference. We replaced the run flat tires immediately and it made a huge difference in the "comfort" of the ride. BMW service is unsurpassed and the style is unbeatable. For the price and reliability I give it a "10". If you're on the fence, commit, it's worth it! The power top is a must!

rear ended after owning car for 4 days
By Jeanne S on 08/10/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For the short time I had this car before being rear-ended, I loved it. If you ever have the misfortune of being hit (3 times before she stopped) from behind by someone doing 45 mph, know that this car is definitely well-engineered. I walked away from the accident with only whiplash. It could have been much worse had I still been driving the miata mx5 I owned previously. Fun to drive, I just hope I can look at it the same way after I get it repaired.

Two years plus
By George Warren on 05/18/08 08:47 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being a master diesel mechanic for at a Freightliner truck dealership for close to thirty years I believe I am a fair judge of quality. I have really enjoyed this car for over two years. When you get off work there is nothing better than jumping into your Z4, dropping the top and hitting the road. I have owned many new cars but this is the only one that is as much fun to drive now as it was when I bought it! If there was anything I would change I would redesign the drink holders as they spill hot coffee on your leg on turns, the seats should have higher side bolsters so you don`t slide around so much on turns. And get the Xenon lights which was the only option I didn't get. BMW - great car!

Too many problems
By Jishnu Kinwar on 06/26/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is good performance wise, fast, fuel economy better than expected. But it is not reliable and poorly built. Had problems with the retractable hood, steering wheel jammed, side windows not going down, memory reset all with in 18 months of ownership. Even today, sometimes when I close a window it goes all the way up and then comes down and one has to repeat several times before it shuts. After filing a formal complaint no action was taken by BMW. I have paid a lot of money for the car and at least expected a formal apology. Will never buy another BMW.

A Class Apart
By fasteddie on 01/12/07 18:12 PM (PST)

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I tested a number of convertibles under $35K before buying the Z4 but none came close to the value and performance of the BMW. The Z4, even with the smaller 2.5 liter engine, is an impressive performer. It has a strong power curve in gears 3-5 and plenty of torque in 1st and 2nd. The Z4 is plenty fast, but if you want to run with the big boys, get the 3.0 liter and the six speed. The cornering and handling is very good but a notch below more serious sports cars like the Boxster. You will fall in love with the sound of the exhaust. My only complaint is the noticeable electronic steering assist at low speed. You can buy a one year old low mileage Z4 fully loaded for the low $30s!