Used 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

My First BMW
By manhunter2

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After a considerable amount of research, I purchased my first BMW about six weeks ago, a Maldives Blue over Beige, 2005 Z4 2.5i roadster with only 13,400 miles. I also have a 1977 MGB; guess I really like roadsters. After looking for a Z3M for a reasonable price, I turned my attention to the Z4. The reviews on the Z4 were, for the most part, glowing and I can say that this is the funnest car to drive I have ever owned. The power - even with the 2.5, is impressive, but its ability to stick to the road, its handling and its looks make it a winner in my book. It's a lot of fun to drive and to look at!

Favorite Features

Handling - The electric-assisted steering is very positive and precise, with input and output feel similar to that of an older light aircraft. Although many don't like the stiffer ride of the run-flat tires, the adhesion to the road and positive control they deliver is, to me, worth the stiffer ride. Looks - It looks like a modern, stylish sports car! Lots of looks and compliments. Value - An incredibly good-looking, fun car to drive at a reasonable price; and it's a BMW. Power top - Thus far, completely trouble free, quick and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I've had to have done on my Z4 thus far is to replace the amplifier, which is in a compartment beneath the trunk next to the battery. The amplifier in my car corroded due to a leaking battery, but many others have failed due to water leaking into the trunk compartment; as far as I can tell, the only frequently-occurring design flaw/shortcoming in the car.

Driving the dream
By marvin holmes

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first z4 and so far I love driving it. I find my self taking the long way to the stores just to enjoy the drive. I love its sleek, compact and agile performance. People keep telling me I should have traded at 40k but I think I am going to keep it well over 200,000 mile and maybe then some. I call my z4 my mini me.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.

Highly recommend!
By Paul in San Diego

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased this car new in 05 and it has been outstanding. Not a single thing has gone wrong in 40k miles, it gets 32+ mpg on the freeway and combined mileage is 25-26 -- all much higher than estimated! The free services have been great too.

Favorite Features

The power top is fast and easy. There is more room in the trunk than you'd expect for suitcases or groceries. A full set of golf clubs fits too. Two sets if not too oversized. Small, so easy to park and really fast to wash and wax. Glad we got both sport and premium packages.

Suggested Improvements

Have to be ready for a bumpy, sports car ride -- you really feel the road with the low profile tires. Fit and finish could have been better -- gaps between some body panels is a bit to wide. Standard stereo should be better quality.

Ultimate driving machine
By Frank

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car may have the best design of any convertible on the market. BMW is not known for interior bells and whistles, so creature comforts are sparse but they make up for the lack with exceptional performance and safety. Great trunk room for the size of vehicle, better than stated mileage (31mpg hwy) and once you're in, quite comfortable. Entering and exiting requires a bit of agility but it's a sports car. The 3.0 probably has all the pep ever needed for this size vehicle. The 2.5, that I have is quite functional, just not quite as nimble as the styling dictates but very adequate. Traded a Miata and what a step up. This car fees much more substantial than its size and I love the styling!

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, feel, trunk size, ease of raising and lowering top, quietness relative to other roadsters, mileage, integrated rollbars. The quality at used car pricing is exceptional. I'll have this one or one like it as long as I'm able to maneuver in and out of it.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, a little more interior refinement, easier access to console storage, lumbar support.

Only 2.0L but still a lot of fun
By Rene

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I went for the 2.0L rather than 3.0L (the in between 2.5L made no sense to me) because it is a long term car so running costs are important. The lighter engine means this is the best handling car I have ever driven. I can blast round beds, be they sharp corners or sweepers at speeds that make my hair tingle. I used to race stock cars and have had a Morgan +8 - the Zed 4 is better. Blasted across Germany at 90-120mph and got 41 miles per gallon. I live in London and still get 30mpg. I love the looks (pre-facelift) and always stare at the car when leaving it. Driving does not get much better.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, miles per gallon, the power roof, everything - more smiles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the run flats - I did and got a new car with much better ride!