Used 2005 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

My First BMW
By manhunter2

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After a considerable amount of research, I purchased my first BMW about six weeks ago, a Maldives Blue over Beige, 2005 Z4 2.5i roadster with only 13,400 miles. I also have a 1977 MGB; guess I really like roadsters. After looking for a Z3M for a reasonable price, I turned my attention to the Z4. The reviews on the Z4 were, for the most part, glowing and I can say that this is the funnest car to drive I have ever owned. The power - even with the 2.5, is impressive, but its ability to stick to the road, its handling and its looks make it a winner in my book. It's a lot of fun to drive and to look at!

Favorite Features

Handling - The electric-assisted steering is very positive and precise, with input and output feel similar to that of an older light aircraft. Although many don't like the stiffer ride of the run-flat tires, the adhesion to the road and positive control they deliver is, to me, worth the stiffer ride. Looks - It looks like a modern, stylish sports car! Lots of looks and compliments. Value - An incredibly good-looking, fun car to drive at a reasonable price; and it's a BMW. Power top - Thus far, completely trouble free, quick and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I've had to have done on my Z4 thus far is to replace the amplifier, which is in a compartment beneath the trunk next to the battery. The amplifier in my car corroded due to a leaking battery, but many others have failed due to water leaking into the trunk compartment; as far as I can tell, the only frequently-occurring design flaw/shortcoming in the car.

Driving the dream
By marvin holmes

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first z4 and so far I love driving it. I find my self taking the long way to the stores just to enjoy the drive. I love its sleek, compact and agile performance. People keep telling me I should have traded at 40k but I think I am going to keep it well over 200,000 mile and maybe then some. I call my z4 my mini me.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.

Z4 is a blast!
By Z4eeaahh

2005 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Wow! The Z4 is pure driving excitement! The vehicle has opened up the world of weekend roadtrips for me, but instead of using the GPS, I find myself reading a map to determine an alternate route to my destination. The highways are fun, but the Z4 really shines on the back roads. Some words that come to mind to describe this vehicle are; responsive, tight, nimble, classy, smooth and deceivingly quick. Do not expect a luxury ride from the Z4, but expect to feel the road. It is a performance vehicle. That being said, I am 6'2" and once in the vehicle I am quite comfortable, even on long road trips. I am guaranteed a smile every time I take my Z4 for a drive. :-)

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission is smooth and forgiving. Surprisingly adequate trunk space, even w/ the top down. Automatic convertible top. Xenon lights seriously improve night time driving visibility.

Suggested Improvements

With the convertible top up, you will make full use of the side mirrors for side & rear visibility.

WOW
By RXZ4

2005 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

WOW and to think we waited over three years to finally find and purchase our dream machine. 05 with 22K, CPO and extended maintenance plan, and fully loaded. The tires are pretty sensitive to less than perfect roads and you'll find yourself driving with two hands on the wheel. We actually like the cup holders and the radio rocks!

Favorite Features

Power, MPG/fun, cockpit room, one touch windows and power top.

Suggested Improvements

Need more storage compartments in the cockpit. Home link system should be standard.

Highly recommend!
By Paul in San Diego

2005 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased this car new in 05 and it has been outstanding. Not a single thing has gone wrong in 40k miles, it gets 32+ mpg on the freeway and combined mileage is 25-26 -- all much higher than estimated! The free services have been great too.

Favorite Features

The power top is fast and easy. There is more room in the trunk than you'd expect for suitcases or groceries. A full set of golf clubs fits too. Two sets if not too oversized. Small, so easy to park and really fast to wash and wax. Glad we got both sport and premium packages.

Suggested Improvements

Have to be ready for a bumpy, sports car ride -- you really feel the road with the low profile tires. Fit and finish could have been better -- gaps between some body panels is a bit to wide. Standard stereo should be better quality.