Great at first, then....
By Sander SF on
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
I bought the Z4 as what seemed like a natural upgrade from my Z3. I paid a premium to own this car, based on it's stellar styling and improvements, such as the fully auto top and glass rear window. However after owning it for the first 6 months, it began to annoy me to no end. It's horribly uncomfortable. From the unsupportive seats, the exaggerated door interior door handles that chafe my left leg every time I shift, to the un-adjustable seat belt that chokes me every time I drive. Plus the 1/4' inch clearance from the dash to my right knee, and I'm only 6'1! Add an ultra-harsh ride, and I feel like I'm in a torture chamber each time I get in. I wish I had kept the z3.
Favorite Features
I get complements on the car's looks everywhere I go. The automatic roof is a plus. The power delivery is amazing. Short-throw shifter on 6- speed manual is one of the best I've ever used.
Suggested Improvements
See ergonomic complaints above. The cup holders are a joke-- non-functional and broke once already. The top rattles in the down position, even after BMW "fixed" it 3 times. Steering feel is too light-- sport mode is silly and doesn't help much.