2004 BMW Z4 2.5i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Blast
By Phil Adler

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This little car is a real blast to dirve. I have owned 535s, a new M3, MGB, 442 and numerous fun cars, but none as much fun as this little ragtop. It gives you total feel of the road, which when bumpy perhaps too much. But once again it's a sweet ride. My Z is black with a tan top and while some are critical of the styling, I get lots of "I was admiring your car" and such. The 6 speed is smooth as silk and the 3.0 delivers pleanty of power. I can't wait to test drive the new M series. I can't recommend this car enough to anyone looking for a roadster.And your BMW dealer probably has a demo for you to check out before ordering. Thats what happened to me as a four test drive convinced me.

Favorite Features

Automatic convertible top that gets it done in a few seconds.

Suggested Improvements

Better location for the cruise control lever. It is below the turn signal/High- Low beam lever and difficult to get used to. Steering wheel controls would be much easier to deal with. But this is really my only negative that I have found with my Z4.

Z - one for me!!!
By NB

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After owning MGs, Eclipses, and Triumphs, I finally found the one true sports car that "fits". It is reliable, handles like a dream and is truly beautiful to view. I get excellent gas mileage and have the pickup and speed to feel confident, even in the worst traffic. The 3 cubic feet of trunk is enough for my wife and myself to go on weekend trips and she can take ALL her stuff!!! All in all it absolutely meets my needs.

Favorite Features

Styling - can just look at it for hours.

Suggested Improvements

the ability to move the sun visors off the front window to the sides for afternoon sun shade.

BMW=Best Made in the World!
By Michael N

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this car. This is the first manual transmission I have ever even tried to drive and after owning this BMW Z4 I will never drive an automatic ever again. Besides the fact that it has superior craftsmanship, great styling, and is a blast to drive I get great gas mileage that really helps with the rise of prices at the pump. My next car will definitely be a BMW!

Favorite Features

Is there anything better than crusing around town in the Ultimate Driving Machine with the top down?

Suggested Improvements

I like how they stepped up the engine in the newer models.

Jim's Z4
By Jim Marcum

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really love driving this car, it handles like a dream in the sport mode. I really like to shift it with the steptronic transmission, it shifts very smooth. I also like the easy to read gauges at night, the orange dash lights are just cool. I have all the options and packages you can get with this car except for the navigation. I also want Sirius radio which I can get but the trunk mounted antenna just don't work for me. It's a little hard getting in and out of because it is low to the ground but onced you're in and settled you can for hours with the top down and the windscreen in place.

Favorite Features

The steptronic transmission is great and the power it has is unbelieveable. You can get speeding tickets everyday if you're not careful. I look at the speedometer and I'm doing 80 MPH without realizing it. The sound system is fantastic although learning all the functions can be overwhelming.

Suggested Improvements

Make navigation installation possible after purchase. Redesign or improve the Sirius antenna.

Fun to Drive
By Jim Peacock

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's a great car. The tops comes down in only 8 sec. Very fast. Good gas mileage. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Dash. Feel. Looks outside and in.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger glove compartment. Radio, air controls on steering wheel.

1st BMW...not last for sure.
By secularist

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Originally got this for my wife. I'm stealing it from her and getting her a 5 series. I still don't understand why the styling is "controversial"...I get more approving stares and chatter about this car than I ever thought possible. We have the 3.0 with the Sport Pkg. Ride is firm for sure, but it's such a go-kart when it comes to the twisties...love it. Gets great mileage for something that's so fast.

Favorite Features

Styling. Handling. it's a roadster...what's not to love?

Suggested Improvements

my only thing is the cupholder needs to be in a better spot. :-)

my review
By Makobimmer

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first roadster ever and I love it! Most verts Ive driven have lots of body shake and feel like they are falling apart. This car is TIGHT! No shakes over the roughest of roads. The performance is top notch. The handling is incredible. I try my hardest to get the rearend to fishtail in safe settings....cant do it! The interior is very teutonic, very German, very luxurious....top notch.

Favorite Features

The Bangle styling really gets the looks. I'm told that my car looks so much better in person than it looks in pictures. It definitely has a unique, forward thinking design.

Suggested Improvements

The radio....uuugh! When the top is down, the display cannot be seen whether in shade or direct sun due to the upward angle of the display. it should be angled down or shaded for viewing. The reception is shoddy. I expect better for the 47K sticker price on my car.

Awesome Performance !
By TurboCarrara

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great performance - braking, corners, pickup. Comfortable but stiff ride - but expected in a roadster. Actually gets better gas mileage than expected.

Favorite Features

Convertible is great. I love the look & detailing of the body.

Suggested Improvements

When you wash the car, some water gets under the door - it doesn't actually get in the car, but it's annoying.

Landshark; Rules the road
By BayAreaBMWFan

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is truly the Ultimate Driving Machine. I have an SMG transmission which allows you to shift manually with automatic clutching. I have the control of the manual with no clutching hassles! With the Sports mode on, the car gives an amazing feel. The engine sound and in the gut acceleration really gets the juices flowing. The steering is responsive and the suspension tight; this is not a touring sedan. I test drove the Z3 before buying this, and this car feels and drive very differently. It is a lot more powerful and "manly". When I look at it from the front it reminds of a shark & the Z4 rules the road like one. BMW leases are not expensive; get a Z4. Money well spent.

Favorite Features

SMG Transmission; 7 second power top down; interior fit and finish; engine acoustics; trunk space (enough for our Costco trips); the body lines....

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, side visibility with top down.

Awesome car
By TEREN-Z4

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I fell in love with this car at the dealer. It was love at first sight. I went to look at the practical 330xi. I had a 5 series for my last 2 cars and thought I wanted the sporty 3 series with all wheel drive for the mountains of NC. I saw the Z4 and had visions of a jet fighter. It just looks so awesome to me. Well the test drive was even more impresive, I had to have one. The car is so great that we drove it to key west on our vacation rather than flying. It was so cool.

Favorite Features

The body style is the best of any roadster I've seen and when sitting in the Z4 it has a slung back feeling

Suggested Improvements

I really do not know how the Z4 could be any better than it aleady is.