Used 2004 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

good drive, plenty of fun
By drajax777

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

the 2.5 model is fast enough to get the driver in trouble but the brakes are excellent; the styling sets this car apart. my problem is with the run flat tires which seem prone to go flat and are expensive; in 12000 miles i've had three flats; no one is sure about a cause

exterior, fast automatic convertible top, simplicity of controls

improve run flat tires; move distress signal away from parking brake; develop sensors for front which is low enough to strike concrete parking dividers

Great car, if you like to drive
By ChrisLee

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The best two-seater I have ever owned. Great acceleration, great grip, cornering is a pleasure, it is very safe and the drive is always controlled, the steering is unbelievable, it is very comfortable and it looks great. What else do you need from a sports car? On the downside, I have had several warranty issues, there were material flaws and the repair crews were not always familar with the car and with their own job (e.g. destroying things as they fixed others). Last, my 2 cents: get the SMG (semi- manual gearbox) if you can. It is the best shifting experience I have ever had and far superior to the other alternative of manual shifting.

1. SMG 2. design 3. acceleration 4. handling / steering 5. comfort

1. more options 2. M-version

WOW
By cory

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove this car to New Orleans right after I bought it. This car stopped traffic on Bourbob Street. People were gawking and taking pictures. When we pulled up to the hotel, people walked across the street to ask about the car. People coming out of the hotel stopped to ask about the car and look at it. I thought the doorman would never have a chance to unload our car. This car still causes a stir wherever I go! WOW!!

I love the way the top goes up and down with just a push of a button. EASY!

Could have a liite less wind noise.

If you knew Suzy...
By ladepenb

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first convertible bought almost by accident. My mother Sue had one, thus the name. It is red and it is sweet. Just ask anyone passing by as I drive though. It's the only one in town! It handles quickly and smoothly, responding well on any kind of road in any kind of weather.I feel safe in it, enev though it is a convertible. It's size suits me- I rarely need to carry anyone.I don't worry about cargo space- it carries enough groceries home. With the top down I can put on a hat and drive the turnpike without effort. The sound system increases enough so that the wind is not a problem. I'd reccomend this car to any one who wants one and can afford it!

clear, brilliant sound system, automatic top down (push of a button!) color- bright red- smooth ride; good pickup

The seats are contoured but not quite to my liking. Even though I am small I feel as though the driver's seat could be a bit wider.

Can get you in trouble really quickly...
By Power Oversteer

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I used to own a Z3 2.5 - The differences between the two are night & day. Where the Z3 had a tendency to oversteer easily, this car just sticks. To explore the handling limits, you would have to drive it at a race track. Some people may not like the ride, however. (It can get a bit punishing at times, especially with the 18" wheels). Acceleration is very fast, you don't realize how much faster the 3.0 is until you drive one. The styling is a little strange at first, but it really does grow on you. Not only that, but I think the styling makes it stand out more. As for reliability, I haven't had a single problem.

Love the 3.0 engine and its abundant power. Also like the brushed aluminum interior. The Carver audio system is very good (best car stereo I've ever had). Sport package and 18" wheels really make this car look so much nicer (in my opinion).

The electrical steering assist needs a little work - it feels way too light at slow speeds. Traction control can sometimes be a pain and cut the engine power out just when you need it most (though I think I push my car a little harder than most).