Used 2004 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Z4 vs Z3
By Lynn Richard

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Z4 is much superior to the previously owned Z3 in handling room and power.

Favorite Features

SMG gearbox

Suggested Improvements

Door pockets need to be improved they are shallow and difficult to get in.

The best car ever
By paul_viper1

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It is quite cheap to run, extreme performance, comfortable seats, heaps of room, bottom line it is the best car ever (that I've driven).

Favorite Features

Stereo, seats, GPS, 'roof'.

Suggested Improvements

None, it is so good

Great Fun for The Money
By jack johnson

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is great. It is the most fun someone can have driving. Pop the car into sport mode and you're gone. The car moves with a single touch, there is no lag what so ever. The only negatives are its small size (but you already know that) though a spacious trunk for the size of car, and the car isn't the most comfortable thing for trips longer than 2 hours. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a fun car. It is not the best family car but strap in and hit some open road and try not to smile. You can't help but love it.

Favorite Features

The engine in this car just roars, it's tough to pick somthing sexier then the vrooming of the engine!

Suggested Improvements

Had a few problems with the convertible top, nothing really to change.

Fun and practicality in one package
By Matt S.

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a CPO with 13,000 miles on it. I have not been disappointed at all. Living in Southern California, this car does it all for me, from running to the grocery store to taking it for a run in the mountains. This is not a weekend toy for me; I use it regularly. I drove this car cross-country and was pleasantly surprised by comfort level it gave me on a 6000 mile trip. Its performance is excellent; it sticks to a mountain road like glue even on wet/icy pavement. I have every option but the nav system; the power driver's seat definitely ups the comfort level. I definitely recommend the 6 speed manual; it's a pain sometimes in LA traffic, but worth it overall.

Favorite Features

Performance, decent trunk space for a roadster, great gas mileage (30+ hwy/25 city), ergonomics, highly reliable and trouble-free. Comfort level for me is good; I never get out of this car feeling tired after a long drive. At 5'8", this car fits me like a glove. Plenty of usable cabin storage.

Suggested Improvements

A higher front end, but problem solved with a nose mask to protect it. The cup holders are a bit flimsy, but functional. The handling comes at a price with the very low profile tires that come with the sport package providing a very firm ride that can be a bit uncomfortable on rough pavement.

A great car even after 6 Years
By PerryM

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

So I bought a 2004 Z4 with 17K miles on it a moth ago. Drove it from Pittsburgh to Chicago to get it home and it was a blast! Wow! This car is comfy, roomy, powerful, reliable, and fun! The 2.5 has quite the power and I can't really notice a difference vs. the 3.0. What more can you ask for? The prices are very competitive these days for a pre-owned. I test drove a Z3 10 years ago and hated it so I bought a MR2 Spyder. This vehicle tops them both by far. Fairly quiet with the top up, especially for a convertible. and you can't really feel the wind too bad when its down.

Favorite Features

Styling, safety features, gas mileage, trunk space, comfort for a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders are useless. Run flats, really?