2004 BMW Z4 2.5i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Z is good for me
By throb

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car when I finally could afford one and wow it did not disappoint. I got the SMG based transmission and that thing is a total blast. I love the car so much that I am leasing a new 07 Z4 3.0si starting in 2 days! My only gripe is that the Z series is always behind in cool technology that the 3 series has. No siruis radio. Pathetic. It's a very small gripe on a kickin' car!

Favorite Features

Body shape and driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

Add more of the new technology and put the SMG back into the Z series!

Land Shark
By DarkApprentice

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This thing is sleek, corners well, good turning radius, punchy 0-60 for the amount of money spent, the stereo system is decent for a stock set-up. A little awkward getting out of the vehicle but this is nothing new for a sporty vehicle / roadster. All in all it's a great car!

Favorite Features

Automatic top, power of the engine to size and weight ratio, exterior looks remind me of a reef shark (mine is grayish silver like a shark as well).

Suggested Improvements

Sometimes, with top down, would be nice to have locks on interior cargo, glove box compartments. Honda Del Sol had great use of space for cargo. BMW could learn from that. Audio controls on the steering wheel (now offered in 2006+ models). Drilled rotors or larger calipers would be nice.

Great Summer fun
By Dave

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Really have enjoyed the Z4. Lightweight but feels rock solid on the road. Outstanding handling, steering feedback. Acceleration is very good, though of course I always want more. Very firm ride, can border on jarring on bad roads, but much better than M3 convertible. Actually very comfortable for distances on reasonable smooth roads. Only significant complaint pertains to most of BMW lineup: runflat tires. They are more firm, don't help performance, are stocked by very few local shops, and are VERY expensive. Cheapest local quote: >$1,000 for 2 tires w/ installation. Ordered from Tirerack.com but even then was >$700 w/ installation. Not great given many folks had treadlife issues.

Favorite Features

External design... wasn't sure at first, but has really grown on me. Handling is outstanding. Top operates very quickly.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the runflats unless can establish better local availability and more reasonable price. I'm sorry, $500 a tire is out of control.

Gettin' the looks...
By Endlessummer

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Ok, really... this car gets more looks than YouTube. Every place I go/park, someone comments on it. And, it's all positive, and I couldn't agree more! This is one fun car to drive/have. Come on, face it... it's not a practical car but who cares! If you want practical, buy a sedan. This car reeks of attitude, confidence and carefree fun! Buy it, drive it, baby it, love it... it is well worth it!

Favorite Features

Everything... speed, handling, sport "button" for the drive out to Palm Springs (the back way), dropping the top while sitting at a red light, good trunk room for a roadster. Hell, it's just one fun car, period.

Suggested Improvements

Kinda hard to read the displays with the top down and the sun shining. Cup holders are the practical German way of giving in to America's obsession with Starbucks - they wouldn't put them in if we didn't demand it. Also, run-flats are expensive and seem to wear out quickly.

Great Fun for The Money
By jack johnson

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is great. It is the most fun someone can have driving. Pop the car into sport mode and you're gone. The car moves with a single touch, there is no lag what so ever. The only negatives are its small size (but you already know that) though a spacious trunk for the size of car, and the car isn't the most comfortable thing for trips longer than 2 hours. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a fun car. It is not the best family car but strap in and hit some open road and try not to smile. You can't help but love it.

Favorite Features

The engine in this car just roars, it's tough to pick somthing sexier then the vrooming of the engine!

Suggested Improvements

Had a few problems with the convertible top, nothing really to change.

My Z4!
By Z4

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed everything about this car. The top goes down in 7 seconds and the two 12-inch subwoofers make music to my ears. Handling and overall features are superb.

The ultimate driving machine
By Bill

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The Z4 drives and handles as excellent as it looks. The controls and cockpit are well appointed, roomy, comfortable, and everything at your finger tips. The cargo area will hold a 22" travel bag with room for two small duffles or two small golf bags. All in all the Z4 is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Just what I was looking for!
By Tina

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Hi, I am full time mom, have a "minivan" because I have 3 kids + few friends to lug around. But buying Z4 was exactly what I was looking for. It is reliable, handles beautifully and looks very hot. Gas mileage is excellent and I can take one of the kids at a time to have a good conversation going... weekends to enjoy with my husband. He has porsche for his weekend car but somehow we always end up driving mine (wonder why? :-)). The size of the trunk is perfect for one good food store shopping or to fit all my stuff for cool weekend. As I said,"It's all I was looking for!"

Favorite Features

Roof opens so easy and closes even easier. I have silver ext. with red seats... very hot looking! I don't drive it once without somebody complimenting it!

Suggested Improvements

Reduce brake dust.

Z4
By Bill

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent handling very responsive. Classic design. Trunk will fit two soft bag golf clubs. Love the power top. Seat adjustment is superb over my ex '99 corvette. I am able to stand when exiting the car rather than rolling out of it with the corvette. Very quiet ride with the top up and with the windscreen in place with the top down. Quality craftsmanship both in the exterior and interior desgn. After all, it is the ultimate driving machine.

Z4 in VA
By Mike

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car is a kick in the pants every day. Once you get in, the fun starts. I have a 6 sp and it is butter smooth with a light clutch. The car is what a sports car should be all about.

Favorite Features

Handling: it is a joy on the back roads. The looks w the 18" wheels in Bright Red turn heads every time, the trunk is actually big enough for two. Gotta get the Sport package or buy something else!

Suggested Improvements

Typically BMW junky cupholders already broken, drivers seat showing wear already, could always be less expensive.