Used 2004 BMW Z4 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

A great car even after 6 Years
By PerryM

2004 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

So I bought a 2004 Z4 with 17K miles on it a moth ago. Drove it from Pittsburgh to Chicago to get it home and it was a blast! Wow! This car is comfy, roomy, powerful, reliable, and fun! The 2.5 has quite the power and I can't really notice a difference vs. the 3.0. What more can you ask for? The prices are very competitive these days for a pre-owned. I test drove a Z3 10 years ago and hated it so I bought a MR2 Spyder. This vehicle tops them both by far. Fairly quiet with the top up, especially for a convertible. and you can't really feel the wind too bad when its down.

Favorite Features

Styling, safety features, gas mileage, trunk space, comfort for a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders are useless. Run flats, really?

Very Impressive Indeed!
By Perry M

2004 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just bought a 2004 Z4 with 17K miles and this vehicle drives very impressively. I drove the vehicle home 600 miles and it was very comfortable, handled nicely, and was just a blast to drive. This is my first BMW. In the past I've owned a 2000 MR2 Spyder and this Z4 tops it by far. Great trunk space, powerful motor, roomy interior. I really think I can drive this vehicle everyday if I wanted to.

Favorite Features

Appearance, motor, handling, value

Suggested Improvements

Make room for a spare and get rid of the run-flat concept!

Z4 Review
By Weiker Kline

2004 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is excellent in every way. I've had other roadsters, but this one is the best without exception. I think it will survive to become a valued collector car in a few years.

Favorite Features

Performance & style

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are really stupid.

Fun, fun, fun - but a bit impractical
By AZDave

2004 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Let's face it. People buy cars like this for their fun factor, and perhaps for their "cool" factor as well. The Z4 does a bang-up job of providing both while delivering upwards of 25 mpg. It's a bit of a chore getting in and out, especially for a 6'2" guy like me, but once you're inside it's surprisingly roomy if you lower the seats all the way. The power convertible top works perfectly, and the interior is gorgeous. The ride is stiff, but the car runs and handles fantastically. My only complaint: you have to be careful when parking or you'll scrape the underside of the front cowling.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, convertible top, exotic/cool styling that gets lots of "oohs" and "aahs."

Suggested Improvements

Add a couple of inches to the length and make the cockpit just a smidge larger. Raise the whole car another inch or so off the ground. Add some kind of guardrail or bumpers to protect the front end or have a built-in curb sensor. Do something about the cup holders. They're terrible!

Z is good for me
By throb

2004 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car when I finally could afford one and wow it did not disappoint. I got the SMG based transmission and that thing is a total blast. I love the car so much that I am leasing a new 07 Z4 3.0si starting in 2 days! My only gripe is that the Z series is always behind in cool technology that the 3 series has. No siruis radio. Pathetic. It's a very small gripe on a kickin' car!

Favorite Features

Body shape and driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

Add more of the new technology and put the SMG back into the Z series!