2003 BMW Z4 Consumer Review: Would be great if I could stee

2003 BMW Z4 - Consumer Review

2.5i Convertible (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Would be great if I could steer it!
By Joe M on

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Very nice and fun to drive, however when the temperature gets over 80 degrees the power electronic steering stops working. This is a known problem to BMW (bulletin # 4515500-02) and a safety issue but they want $3000 to fix it. - So much for German Engineering, maybe it never gets above 80 degrees in Baveria!

Power Roof, without a doubt the best I have ever seen. This roof goes up or down and locks in 10 seconds or less.

Need to steer it! BMW should issue a recall before someone gets killed and they end up like Toyota.
By brucecovexeno
on 08/17/11 22:21 PM (PDT)

03 Z4 steering problems This problem is no myth, my Z 4 with 95,000 miles has the same mysterious steering problem, I 1st noticed it at 75,000 miles when I bought the car, I was driving to Oregon one Christmas in the snow and the exact symptoms described in this thread were happening to my car. As soon as I got into warmer climate the problems seemed to dissipate, however in temperatures above 75° the problem occurs again and increases in severity as the temperature climbs,, I was going around the turn at high speed on the freeway and I literally had to jerk my steering wheel to correct back to center which scared the hell out of me and I'm fearless!!!!! I have heard something about a recall, is there any truth to this rumor? And who do I speak to to increase the odds of a recall happening,,.. I love my Z 4 because it's so much fun to drive, but this steering problem takes all the fun out of it!!!! and it has all the potential of becoming a lethal problem,,, help!!!!!!