First model year blues
By Mike W on
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.
Favorite Features
The style. I believe a true sports car should have the long hood and small trunk. It is fun to drive even here in the Florida flat lands.
Suggested Improvements
Maybe a little less technical before it is ready for introduction to the real world. A more responsive BMW network.
By magicdolphin
on 11/04/11 19:05 PM (PDT)

I too am totally disappointed ... high repair costs and would be fun if the convertible roof would work; the extended warranty is a joke; I expected better quality from BMW ... too much cheap plastic.