Used 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

A "toy" for the suburbs
By Practical Guy

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'm a mid-lifer whose purchase reflects a typical mid-life crisis decision. It's a vehicle that's truly a fun "toy". After so many years of driving the terribly practical sedans of the day the Z4 injects a healthy shot of adrenaline as well as a double dose of reality .. (1) It takes a little while to use the 6-speed manual transmission with the unconscious competence needed to enjoy the ride to the max, and (2) Heck, when did I get so old??? Being a practical man with an attitude that frowns upon "social status via automobile", I clearly stepped out-of-my-box with this purchase. It does draw a great deal of attention. That alone takes some getting used to.

Fine handling, On the proper roads (no traffic lights and not boring highway) it'll give you a wonderful thrill.

Improve visibility with the top up. Provide more left elbow room... it's quite tight. Replace the cup holders with more practical storage compartment.

A very fun & quick roadster
By Mark

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 2000 Boxster for 3 years before purchasing my Z4. It is Toledo Blue w/ tan interior. Sports package, chrome eliptical wheels & SMG. I would have preferred the 6 speed manual - but my wife wanted an automatic. SMG seemed like a good compromise. It took a while to get used to - but now we both enjoy it. The main complaint is that it is not BMW smooth in the automatic mode. However - I am loving the paddle shifters! The greatest surprise is the gas mileage. I easily get 23-26 in normal day to day driving (not taking it easy on the take offs) and 27-31 on long highway trips!

Same HP as Boxster - but much quicker. Great gas mileage. Paddle shifters. Excellent stereo - easy to enjoy at high speeds with the top down.

SMG - too difficult to explain to valets! Must park the car myself. Front airdam - although it looks great - is so darn low that I must come to a complete stop before going up my driveway and must go under 5 mph over speed bumps or SCRAPE.

Z4 Review
By Fred L. Rasp

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a joy to drive. It is responsive, hangs on to the road, has a great sound, and runs through the gears beautifully. The top works quickly and well. It also is fairly quiet. I love this car.

Shifting through the gears on curved roads is a ball.

None.

Dream Car under $50K
By David

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded my Z3 in for this car and what a diffence. I love everything about this car. Everything that I felt could have been improved on the Z3 was greatly improved. The power band is smooth thoughtout the range. Handling is remarkable, it drives thru curves as if on rails. It has a sporty ride but is still not uncorfortable on long trips.

The whole car is great.

A little more power and something to keep the break dust to a minimum. Rims get "dirty" quickly.

You smile just thinking about driving it
By Eric

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Near perfect balance of power, transmission shifting, suspension, road feel, braking and steering. Power top quick enough to raise or lower at even a fast stop light without feeling rushed. Sound system brings out amazing detail even with the top down. Trunk space provides the ability to use this as my full time vehicle, easily taking two suitcases, a large duffel and a fully packed computer briefcase. My only suggestion is that a new buyer opt for wheels that have a minimum of tight spaces, as you're going to spend a lot of time dealing with the legendary BMW brake dust buildup.

Almost everything

Anything to reduce brake dust.